Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: black powder shot shell loading

Boolit Master

black powder shot shell loading

I have a friend that wants 5-10 rds for his old Damascus barrel double. He asked me to load a few light loads made of black powder and just wants a bang and a cloud of smoke. I have 2F/3F black powder/Pyrodex (several versions)

Can I use plastic wads if I trim them and use card material under them between the BP and plastic wad. I'm looking at a 1/2 to7/8ths load of #71/2 shot.
    And how much powder do I use? You can scream at me for taking this on but I still want to do it.
    OR
    Should I completely stay away from wads and use card material only

He has a 2 3/4" chamber in this gun

I first told him to weld it up and hang it on the wall, but that is not an option.

Boolit Buddy

Everyone I know that uses plastic wads with BP lives to regret it. The plastic will leave a deposit on the bore that is much harder to remove than any fouling.

I use MagTech 2 1/2" 12 ga brass hulls. 74 Grns Goex 2f, over powder wad, lubed fiber wad, then approx 1 oz shot (I use a shot dipper, don't actually weigh out the shot), than add an over shot wad, slightly roll crimp the case, and seal everything up with hot glue. I adjust the shot column height by adding split in half pieces of fiber wad if needed. In my 12 ga Coach Gun, this is a fairly mild load with lots of smoke and flame out the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    I have a friend that wants 5-10 rds for his old Damascus barrel double. He asked me to load a few light loads made of black powder and just wants a bang and a cloud of smoke. I have 2F/3F black powder/Pyrodex (several versions)

Can I use plastic wads if I trim them and use card material under them between the BP and plastic wad. I'm looking at a 1/2 to7/8ths load of #71/2 shot.
    And how much powder do I use? You can scream at me for taking this on but I still want to do it.
    OR
    Should I completely stay away from wads and use card material only

He has a 2 3/4" chamber in this gun

I first told him to weld it up and hang it on the wall, but that is not an option.

Boolit Master
    Since this is for a very limited use situation, you can load them with plastic wads as you're going for a reduced load. The only reason to not use plastic wads would be that the bulkiness of Black Powder is much greater than smokeless so you run out of room in the case for heavy loads. As for the amount of powder you can load it like a muzzle loader, i.e. use equal amounts of powder and shot BY VOLUME. Make a scoop to hold the amount of shot that you want to use, say 3/4 oz, and use the scoop to measure your powder.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

I am with the "don't use plastic wads" camp. Been there, done that! It didn't take many rounds to leave lots of plastic.

You can punch out card wads or order some nitro card wads from BPI or someone else.

I would also add a lubed felt wad unless he is not going to shoot these right away. Any thin lube or lube that "sweat" or leaks oils might cause grief if left loaded for any length of time.

Good info here:

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I regulary use plastic wads with a short fiber wad betwixt it and BP. Have never had the horror stories others relate. But my bore is super polished, if rough, that might give a problem.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I've loaded BP in plastic shotshells, but don't use plastic wads. I use a nitro card over the powder, grease cookie, over shot wad, and then a paper shotcup, shot, and crimp.

I have fiber wads, but they take up too much space in my cases to suit me. Too, a thick wad column under the shot may blow holes in your patterns. I only use a pair of 1/8" felt wads between the powder and shot in my ML shotgun, and have no problems getting nice patterns all the way to 35 yards.

If you're just loading and shooting just a few you don't need the grease cookie.

80gr VOLUME ffg or fffg is roughly 3 dram equivalent. With a nitro card (1/8") or 2 you should still be able to get 1oz of shot in the case(2-3/4") and crimp it closed.

I use a paper shotcup to keep the shot away from the barrel (to prevent leading), but if this is just for smoke and noise, it isn't necessary.

Boolit Master
    I shoot a couple of damascus hammer double 12 gauges with 1 ounce shot and 80 grains of 1f or 2f - which ever one I want to use up. I select a plastic empty hull and use whatever amount of card wads are necessary to fill the case for a proper folded crimp. Plastic empties don't hold up real well with real black powder so I shoot them only once with black - then discard.

For hunting I might cut off the shot cup from some plastic wads and seat that with the shot over the card wads. Not worth the effort for fun shooting.

I use a MEC loader and do try to put some compression on the powder - hopefully it burns a little cleaner.

I think it is a very nice change of pace!

ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

For cleaning the barrels after using plastic wads, use Windex with vinegar and it'll take that "monkey snot" right out. Just squirt a generous amount in the barrels and let it sit for a little bit and run your patch through it. Redo for the sticky spots and it'll come out bright and shiny.
    McLintock

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by McLintock View Post
    For cleaning the barrels after using plastic wads, use Windex with vinegar and it'll take that "monkey snot" right out. Just squirt a generous amount in the barrels and let it sit for a little bit and run your patch through it. Redo for the sticky spots and it'll come out bright and shiny.
    McLintock

plus one...

gun club hulls, 50gr ffg, red wad, 1-1/8oz 7-1/2 or 8...after shot, throw away the hull...loaded in a P-W, case fed hydro...

first post...GREAT site...
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter

I compete weekly with black powder. I use ordinary plastic wads to assemble my loads. I use a Claybusters pink wad with number 38 powder bushing in the MEC, 1 1/8 oz shot, assembled in Remington STS hulls.

I have used plastic wads by the thousands in BP shotshell loads for the past ten years.

I run the shot gun hard and it gets hot.

After a match, I soak (that's the secret) the barrels for about 45 minutes by spraying water and Ballistol down the bores and letting it sit. After that 45 minute soak, I run one (ONE) (1) (A SINGLE) patch down the bore and the gun comes completely clean.

I have done this process hundreds of times.

I have never had unreasonable build up of plastic fouling. I have never had pressure or pattern problems. I have never had the gun fail to do its job in any way. I have never had to run more than one patch down the bore to clean it.

This is my true, unexaggerated, unembellished experience. You can take it to the bank.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Grand Master

Well, it looks like I am in the minority here with plastic fouling. I have not loaded BP shotshells for many years but when I did I certainly got plastic fouling.

It may well have been the type of plastic wad I was using. I don't recall what they were so that's not a lot of help.

Do you fellas that use plastic wads use any kind of lube or just BP/wad/shot?

Just curious.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    When I said I use plastic wads, should have added they are the ones for steel shot and of a pretty thick tough material.

Boolit Master
    Ive shot a few rounds of trap using 80grs (weighed) of 2F with a hard card over powder and felt wad over that...if I remember a 1/2" felt wad. I compress powder by hand with a wooden dowel and with my wad combo 1oz of shot thrown with my MEC Sizemaster fits perfect..I then crimp using the MEC.
    Lots of fun and I do it when I want to shake up the boys whp take Trap way too serious...especially on a hot humid day with no wind...or at night. If that cloud hangs I can hardly tell if I hit the bird or not...dont really care.
    OH by the way these are loaded using Federal paper cases...once then throw away.
    Never tried plastic wads.

Boolit Master

I shoot cowboy matches 2-3 times a month and I always use plastic wads. Buy a Tornado spiral brush and it will push all the plastic out, after a bit of a soak with soapy water with a bit of Murphys oil soap in it. I don't think of 80 grains of powder as a weak load, especially with a damascus barrel. Maybe 40 grains with about 3/4 oz of shot with enough wad to fill the case.