Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: 7mm-08 boolit choice?

Boolit Master

7mm-08 boolit choice?

I picked up a Savage axis 7mm-08 for the young one..Anybody have any recommendations for a cast boolit in it? How is the LEE 185-130....How is the throat in these guns? I have barely looked at the gun so far, let alone measure the throat/ bore in it... I don't want to spend /waste a $ on a mold only to find out it won't shoot worth hoot with the mold.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had great accuracy in my 7mm's withe the RCBS 145-SIL. However the caveat is that the nose has to fit since it is a bore rider. My new 7BR barrel doesn't like the RCBS but loves the Lee 285-130. You know the deal with Lee molds, usually a crapshoot, but cheap. RCBS, is kind of the same thing nowadays.

I have an LBT 145 SP that works great in my 7mm IntlRimmed but in the BR and 7-08 the boolit is pushed in too far and the GC is way below the neck.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I have had great accuracy in my 7mm's withe the RCBS 145-SIL.
    I'll second stubshafts recommendation and add the NOE 7mm hunter is another excellent boolit in the 7-08. If I'm not mistaken there's another group buy for the 7mm Hunter right now.

The 130 lee soupcan is a very good boolit too. I've had very good results with it at about 1800 fps . It has a decent meplat. I wouldn't hesitate to use it deer hunting if I didn't also have the heavier hunter.

the soupcan

the hunter
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 03-18-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Banned

those would both be pretty good in a rifle with a bigger throat.
    the 145 will work [fit] the newer square cut rifles better.
    the hunter will fill a tapered/longer throat better than the silh will.
    i use the 168 in my older ruger tang safety and i did use it in my mark -x.
    but every other newer rifle i have had, has liked the 145 silhouette.
    i know dan walker uses a 130 soupcan in his 7-08, but he has just the nose sticking out of the case.

if i had to guess i'd just go with the 145 silh.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    those would both be pretty good in a rifle with a bigger throat.
    the 145 will work [fit] the newer square cut rifles better.
    the hunter will fill a tapered/longer throat better than the silh will.
    i use the 168 in my older ruger tang safety and i did use it in my mark -x.
    but every other newer rifle i have had, has liked the 145 silhouette.
    i know dan walker uses a 130 soupcan in his 7-08, but he has just the nose sticking out of the case.

if i had to guess i'd just go with the 145 silh.
    Funny Lamar... I've had exactly the opposite experience with my tang safety ruger 7-08. The 168 grain RCBS has been mediocre and the 145 grain sillywet has been stellar. For the record, Blammer and I collaborated on the NOE 150 grain hunter.

Dean
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Banned

i remember when it was being done i was sending him some 250 gr saecos with recommendations to make it similar to the 7mm hunter. just with a shorter nose,and a much shorter drive band.

i would have gotten in on the buy but couldn't see getting a mold that i had to seat deeper in the case.
    i see some great group buy molds i'd like to get, but they are cut for throats much bigger than i have.
    8mm's ? none work for me,i use an old ideal single cavity similar to the rcbs 180 fngc made for the 32 win sized to 323.
    i can barely chamber the 165 silhouette in my 308.
    i would pull a boolit from my 30-30 with the rcbs 150 fngc if i didn't add 25% lead to my ww's.
    about the only thing i need big and throat filling for is my three argies.
    the 314299 comes close in length at 200 grs. i think i might try an 8mm mold in it sized down to 318.
    all of that to tell where i come from, when i caution people about just asking for recommendations on a mold for these newer guns.

I have been shooting the RCBS 145gr sil bullet out of a 7-08 savage striker for silhouette and have been having wonderful accuracy. I know when the target doesn't fall that I missed it.