Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Star paint color

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar

Star paint color

I'd like to touch up the paint on my Star Luber sizer. Does anyone know of a modern paint that's close in color? Don't care if it's brush on or spray on, as I'm just touching up the major dings so it's a bit more presentable now that the repairs are completed.

Thanks,

Dave

Boolit Master

From StarReloaders forum:

1. General Motors paint - Dark Blue - # WA7349

2. Plasti-Kote Spray paint - Truck and sport utility - 1567 Dark Blue.

Both are close matches, and should be available at your local automotive supply store.
    Jon

Thanks Roundnoser

Well, apparently having numbers for paint drives the price up considerably and while every auto parts store in this little town can cross reference the GM number or carries Plasti-Kote spray paint, they don't carry that part number and "can't get it, but can mix it custom for $20.00."

I'm thinking I'm going to Wally World, buying a small can of dark blue paint for $3.00 and painting this thing. $20.00 is ridiculous when all I need is to cover a couple scratches.

That's what I'd do for sure, not a whole lot to paint on a Star. Have you decided to keep it now that you have a new sizer on order?
    NRA Life Member

Rockchucker,

Hadn't made up my mind yet on keeping or selling, but since I have it right now, I'm going to make sure it's in good running order, properly cleaned, painted, lubed, etc. That way, if I decide to sell the whole setup, the guy that buys it will get his money's worth.

Most of the stuff I sell on the swap and sell forum is described in excellent to like new or better condition. I like to take care of my stuff and try to sell the stuff I decide I don't want in that condition. It's done me well over the years and nobody's complained of not getting their money's worth and I sleep well at night.

As an aside, I found some Rustoleum gloss Navy Blue enamel paint at Home Depot that looks like it should be a good match for the Star color. I'm going to clean the grease off, sand down the rough areas and paint everything previously painted I can get paint on without tearing the unit apart. Should look decent when done.

I'm sure it will make you or someone a great machine, I've sure enjoyed my star in the short time I've had it. I sold my Lyman 4500 to a friend just starting out in casting, kinda wish I'd kept it so I could leave it set up with a different lube, it would be nice having two lube/sizers.
    NRA Life Member

Banned

i have three of them, and i always look at a 450 or a lyman's pricetag if i see one somewhere.
    they want more for those now, than i paid for my stars with the stuff added.

I was at a buddy's house today and saw an add he'd just gotten from MidwayUSA. I couldn't believe what they were asking for an RCBS Lube A Matic II. At that price I'd rather spend the extra hundred bucks for a Star or a Ballisti Cast.