WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprue plate lube

Boolit Bub

Sprue plate lube

I understand that some casters use a lube on the sprue plate to help prevent a lead build up between it and the mold blocks. I had a build up of alloy starting in my last casting section, and stopped before things got bad. I cleaned all the lead from the sprue plate and the top of the mold blocks (SAECO #632 single cavaity). Guess that I must have been casting too fast and the lead was smearing between the plate and the blocks. Would like to hear what experinced casters think of the idea to coat the bottom of the plate and the top of the blocks with colloidal graphite. I have CG in isopropanol, and use it as a lube and in some new rifle barrels at break-in. Thanks, Sendaro

I've tried GRAPHITE, MOLYBDENUM DISULFIDE and TITANIUM DISULFIDE. The last is by far the BEST!
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Boolit Master
    you can use the CG, but there are much better things out there. I still have some Neolube in a small container that is now about 18 years old. I just don't find much use for it in the reloading room, but on occasion I use it in a pinch on non-critical equipment.

Boolit Master

BullPlate.

Boolit Bub
    Have been away from the lead pot and the molds since last winter. Now that my freezer is full of venison I have turned my attention to making up a bunch of cast bullets for my old Stevens 44 in 32-40. It is all original and outfited with a Lyman #103 Tang sight and front globe. I have mounted a Unertl 12X also on the rifle mostly for testing and an attempt at shooting some woodchucks with it. I find that the winter months is a great time to cast up a bunch of bullets. At our shooting house I can cast bullets and watch the bait we have staked out for coyotes. Life is good! The bullets are dropping out of the mold and looking A-OK! Thanks for the advise, Sendaro

Boolit Master
    Liquid Silicone, Synthetic 2 stoke oil or Bullplate.

Boolit Grand Master

bullplate!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    Did some casting yesterday with the sprue plate and the top of the mold coated with collidal graphic. This is a SAECO single cavaty mold for the #632 bullet. I was very pleased with the way there was no lead build up on the sprue plate or the top of the mold blocks. After casting nearly 250 bullets the mold was still not showing a build up. Very happy with the results. Sendaro

In Remebrance

I still rub the top and sprue down with a carpenters pencil. Simple, cheap, doesn't run into the cavity.

Boolit Bub
    Wow! Never thought of that! Does it last long? Sendaro

Boolit Buddy
    Husquevarna 2 cycle synthetic works for me. Cast over 1000 the other day with one application and no buildup.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm using Amsoil Saber Professional synthetic 2 cycle oil. It works like a champ. Use a quetip and dab a little bit where you see lead smears beginning, and it stops them dead in their tracks. You don't need much.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Sendaro View Post
    Wow! Never thought of that! Does it last long? Sendaro
    Well, it seems to last pretty well. Only takes a second to rub it again if it looks like it needs more.

Boolit Man
    Does anyone use good old lithium grease for the spots on a mold that need lubing? Any problems with that?

Banned

No, but I've used Permatex High Temp brake caliper slide grease before with good results. It doesn't have a drop point. It will literally burn before it melts, which is way above casting temps. Just apply a thin film to the alignment points of a hot mould with a Q-tip and wipe it off with the clean end.

Gear

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    I'm using Amsoil Saber Professional synthetic 2 cycle oil. It works like a champ. Use a quetip and dab a little bit where you see lead smears beginning, and it stops them dead in their tracks. You don't need much.
    Have you tried the Saber outboard? looks like it might be better than the Professional, higher smoke/flash point and better lubricity.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Have you tried the Saber outboard? looks like it might be better than the Professional, higher smoke/flash point and better lubricity.
    No I haven't, but I will now! I'm going to be making some lube with this stuff, I'm planning on following the "speed green" recipe. I'll buy some Saber outboard and try that along with the stuff I have now.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by trk View Post
    I've tried GRAPHITE, MOLYBDENUM DISULFIDE and TITANIUM DISULFIDE. The last is by far the BEST!
    Where does one get titanium disulfide? I am familiar with tungsten disulfide, but not titanium.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    The outboard formulas are on a different end of the trade-off spectrum between temperature range of use and fouling. TCW3-type oils with ashless detergents are for lower-temperature use (like outboard engines), and don't foul because the detergents burn clean, but are unable to do the same job as low-ash detergents at higher temperatures. Low-ash detergents are used in air-cooled formulas and need a lot of heat to burn off the ash or they leave a residue of metal salts behind. While this matters a lot in two-cycle engines, it may or may not matter in boolit lube. Just something to consider.

Gear

Boolit Master
    +1 on the pencil rub. How much cheaper can you go for a substance that works?