Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Old Belding & Mull powder measure

Boolit Master

The Old Belding & Mull powder measure

Two months ago I pulled out my Ohaus Duo Measure which I bought in early 70s and never used. I decided to begin loading rifle calibers and wanted to set the measure to throw IMR 4895 so I could load up a large quantity of ammo for my M1 Rifle.

The Duo just throws a wider range of charge weights once set than I can put up with. Costs as much to load lousy ammo with good components as great ammo so I ain't going to live with charges out of tolerances.

Was really miffed. Although I have the RCBS combo digital scale measure, I did not want to sit down and load up 100 cases on it, I felt that a powder measure ought to toss charges at some decent tolerances.

Saw a old B&M powder measure for sale & bought it. What the heck, as a kid I always saw them for sale and they were always well spoken about. I bought the B&M powder measure and yes, its antiquated but you know what... once you set that sucker to toss a charge, it will do so very well and stick powders like IMR 4895 just get thrown accurately.

Don't argue with results... , this dinosaur works and when I load up 100 rounds with match components for the M1 Rifle, its going to be the way I do it.

Not going to chase a Culver or Harrels $300 range measure, no more rainbow chasing on powder measures.

Yes, using the B&M is a step back in technology but form vs function.....it is what it is... a powder measure that throws accurately.

I even polished the brass hopper on mine and it looks like a really classic decoration over my loading bench. It's sort of like one of those miniature steam engines, all shined up. And like those miniature steam engines, it works, too.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Man
    I have had a B&M powder measure for at least 35 years. Bought it NEW. It is ALWAYS my go to powder measure. Even though I have a Culver, Lyman 55 and Hornday.

These guys make a B&M Copy: http://www.montanavintagearms.com/reloading.html
    It's reasonably priced (For what you get!) and in many ways nicer than the original B&M
    Last edited by Waldog; 01-13-2012 at 01:05 PM.

In Remembrance

Got my B&M measure minus the charge tube in a box marked "reloading junk" for $10 at a garage sale about 15 years back. The box aslo had a C-H swage-a-matic, 4 sets of loading Lyman dies, various bags of brass and partial boxes of jacketed bullets. Between myself and a machinest friend a homemade drop measure tube was made, still using it today.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I have used a B amd M for years and i have a measure tube in about every die box to match the cast bullet charges for that caliber. Of course I still use the OLD Ideal #1 and the Lyman 55 too.

Boolit Master

The B&M is the only rifle powder measure ive ever owned for the past 43 years , i did orgionaly use it for pistol but bought dedicated measures for pistols the first was a bonanza pistol powder measure next was a RCBS lil dandy and now ive gone to the dillon powder measure for my dillon550 & P&W P200

Boolit Master
    Count me as a faithful B&M user too, for nigh on 40 years now. For pistol powder I made a brass measure based on the old Pacific design, with interchangeable rotors for different charges.

Boolit Grand Master
    The B&M with a true micrometer drop tube (custom built with a Starrett micrometer head) is my ultimate accuracy measure. I honestly believe that the Harrell would be just as accurate, but I can't justify spending all that money. Besides, I would need both a large and a small rotor Harrell to be able to load the range I need to cover.

Yes, I have and use a bunch of other measures including a Culver clone, Ideals # 1, 5, 5 micrometer, 6, and 55, a Li'l Dandy, a Lyman Accu-Measure, a RCBS Duo-Measure and a couple of others, but the B&M is still my "gold standard!" That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I started the thread expecting a lot of ridicule for stepping back in time to use a B&M
    measure to solve my frustrations with new measures. It seems I am not alone on this view of newer is not better .. at least in this instance

Green Frog: where does one get custom starrett micormeter heads ?

Boolit Master

you will not get ridiculed for using the B&M VPM. The only issue I have ever had is the B&M WOBBLE. that is the side to side movement that can occur if only using the built in mount. it is easy to cure though. cut a shallow slot that the PM fits is so it can not twist when the lever is actuated.

I have two one marked Belding and Mull, the other marked Harpster and Williams. As a side note it was the longest manufactured product from B&M. And they just ran out of parts to make more not too many years ago.

In Remebrance

I love my B+M. One of the members here did a little experiment and found that by changing the spring it was a lot easier to sue and made no discernible difference in accuracy.

Boolit Master

Although I own an original B&M, it sets attached to the bench bookshelf, serving more as window dressing than to use.

However, I regularly use my B&M clone, made by Vega Tool (now pretty much out-of-business). Their Schutzen measure improves on the design by eliminating the B&M Wobble. It's on the right. Drop tubes setup for individual loads are to the left.

In front of it is the descendent of the B&M, the Quick-Measure. It is a "B&M" with replaceable, semi-fixed drop tubes. I can charge 100-cartridges in 4-minutes with it.

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 01-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    I started the thread expecting a lot of ridicule for stepping back in time to use a B&M
    measure to solve my frustrations with new measures. It seems I am not alone on this view of newer is not better .. at least in this instance

Green Frog: where does one get custom starrett micormeter heads ?

The key word in your question is "custom." Mine was made for me by a gunsmith friend (now deceased) using a Starrett head (still available from the manufacturer, but also found often on flea-Bay) and a couple of pieces of brass for the body tube and plunger head. If you like, I'll post pix, and any machinist should be able to whip one up for you.

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    The side slipping of the Belding and Mull powder measure can be eliminated by the application of a product available at the hardware store. This product is a non slip tape that has grit on one side and a peel off backing on the other. A small piece cut to fit the measure will eliminate the problem. Mine still has the origional spring and clamped to my wooden topped bench absolutly does not slip.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two of them. I wouldn't trade them for any other measure. They are absolutely the best with long stick powders.
    I occasionally see someone looking for a brass cover. They seem to get lost. Here's a perfect fit item....Dorman Products, Part Number 565-095. It is a brass frost plug for automotive engines. You should be able to get it at your local parts house for a couple bucks, NAPA, Autozone or whatever brand serves your area.

Banned
    tchepone, I have to ask, there must be a really interesting story behind that screen name.
    I know where the place is but was never in the neighborhood.
    Ken

Boolit Master

Name

Yes Indeed, I know the name and coincidentally have a trip planned there
    as well.

I did not run recon around there which is evident since I am typing this and most who did work that area never saw the internet.

Tchepone was a sink hole. We may never get the story of what was going on there.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Wow, brings back memories of my childhood. My brother was on a ship that directed Phantoms over that piece of ground. I was a kid back then, but he mentioned it a time or two over the years when he talked about his part in that war. He was never positive about it. After googling it, now I know why.

Boolit Buddy
    Pressman:

Whether it is an interesting story depends on one's point of view. I will not elaborate. I use the handle to honor and remember a good friend who did not return from a flight over the area. Nuf said.

Banned
    Thank You.

I lost an Uncle and his wing man, Phantom drivers. They just disapeared over the south china sea on the way home.
    Ken