Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swaging And Electronic Scales

In Remembrance

Question Swaging And Electronic Scales

Alright I need you swagers to chime in and give me some ideas. So far I've done just around 1k and weighed them all out on my beam scale. Mind you I know that it's not the fastest way to get things done, but it is what I have and we all know how $ is in rather short supply.

I've done limited browsing on electronic scales and after awhile they start to look all alike. It seems they all do the same thing and that's weighing whatever it is. Some are around $40 and some are around $100 but there descriptions are pretty much all the same.

So here's my question(s) to all you guys that use them. Which do you use? How much on average is the cost? Do you have the option of a plug-in for powering the scale? Ever have any issues with it?

I need to be able to get one that I only have to pay for one time and that's it. I know that there are the El-Cheapo type and the Oh-My-Gawd type when it comes to paying for it. All I want it to do is weigh all the little parts to within 1gr and I feel that's good enough for swaging.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master

I got the RCBS Range Master. I probably paid more for it than a scale that will work as well. But it can be plugged in and I dont have to worry about it shutting off on me all the time. Its fairly accurate so I am happy with it. but the video I made shows why I went with an electronic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc9Ih...w&feature=plcp

Boolit Buddy
    I paid a fragment for mine.
    It is not shiny brand but who cares it measures well.
    For your purpose will be enough to have some of this scales.
    Put to find on Ebay for example "scale 0.01g 300g"
    I have 0.001g as well and it is great but need to be switched off and on to recalibrate just to be sure.

In Remembrance
    Say reload I can't watch videos with my connection but thanks anyway.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Master

well basically I went with a digital because I didnt like the way my 5-0-5 tipped way to the side when weighing lead cores or what not. when weighing powder powder kind of equalizes in the pan but a solid slug just rolls off to one side. It may weigh accurately but I didnt like it LOL. I was going to go with the less expensive scales as I am as big a tight wad as anyone but I happened to be in Bass Pro and they had the range master and my wife convinced me to buy it. I know its good and works for anything I want to do. and I have checked its accuracy here in the Calibration Lab and found it to be very good. with in 50/1000 of a grain good enough for the girls I dance with.

Had a Dillon that quit working long before it should of. I got a RCBS next and it works fine
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

In Remembrance

I teach reloading classes and have done a bunch of classes. I have one of just about every type of scale in my reloading room.

Here's my two cents:

• Buy the most expensive one you can buy, just don't pay list price for it. You tend to get what you pay for with electronic scales.
    • Get a scale that requires a power converter to operate. Battery backup is fine, but don't bother with the lesser ones that run on ONLY a battery. They are basically useless, inaccurate, and they shut off (trying to conserve battery life) right at the wrong moments.
    • Only a few companies actually make reloading scales. So, buy one of the brand names. Stay away from off brands where the manufacturer won't help you out when the thing dies.
    • Make sure it reads in GRAINS, and is accurate to +/- .1 grains. Do not buy a grams scale, and try to do math conversions. Those will get you in trouble.
    • Think about the future. I bought a RCBS Range Master 1500, which is a step up from the 750. For just a few dollars more, I could later on buy the dispensor, which connects via the data port in the back. The 750 doesn't have that ability.
    • The electronic scale will only be accurate if you properly run the scale through the calibration routine. The scales come with two calibration weights, and the instructions for calibrating. If you skip this step, do not trust the weights.
    • Don't get rid of your balance beam scale. When the power goes off, you'll still need a way to weigh stuff. The good old balance beam scale has an honored place (still to this day) in my reloading room.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Yeppers, I agree with Duke, buy a GOOD one, or keep saving your $s until you can (while waiting for a sale).

I have had a Dillon for several years and the only large quantity weighing I do is match boolits, and it makes quick work of it. It's about the only time I use it. The main reason I got a Dillon was that it has a tipped forward display which can be read more easily, and it runs off a power converter. I don't ever use it for powder. I use a balance beam to check powder dump and do not individually weigh powder charges.

Follow the instructions, use the validation weight(s) (a good scale should come with one or more), and you should be just fine.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    Grumpa,

I agree with the comments above from Duke.

I went the way of having multiple scales in my setup. I have two RCBS balanced beam scales (10-10's) that I use for reloading, shell weighing etc. and a really nice Acculab scale that goes down to 2/100th of a grain which I use for weighing my swaging stuff (cores, jackets, and finished bullets).

My Acculab came from Sinclair and is a great scale but expensive (on sale at $319 currently). It is more like a medical scale in that it has a lot more resolution. I also use it to measure out precision powder charges for my 22 and 6mm PPC's.

For general weighing up to 5 pounds, I use an ohous tripple beam balance (2600 grams) like I used in high school chemestry.

If I had to choose only one, I would spend the money on the highest resolution digital scale I could afford. Digital is by far the fastest way to get a good accurate weight.

Martin

Boolit Master
    I have one of the older RCBS models that does not plug in. I really wish it did though. Replacing the 9 V batteries isn't bad but it is hard to tell when they start going bad. If I had to do it again I would get one with the AC adapter.

I believe PACT makes pretty much all of the scales, RCBS, and others. You can usually fine their brand cheaper than the name brand ones.

Vendor Sponsor

Have an RCBS myself that plugs in and is part of the powder dispenser. Have used it for years with no problems.

Do your research. I looked a while back at simple digital scales and there was a lot of negitive feed back from cheaper versions. Usually places like Midway usa was a good place to read reviews.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    Grumpa:

Get one that stays on as long as you want. The ones that turn off by themselves are a pain in the neck. A digital scale needs to warm up before it becomes accurate. If it needs to be turned on every time you need it, then you need to wait till it warms up before you use it.

i had a Dillon digital scale, but upgraded to the RCBS scale/dispenser combo. I had no comlaints with the Dillon. I also have a RCBS balance beam scale as a backup.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
    I have one of the older RCBS models that does not plug in. I really wish it did though. Replacing the 9 V batteries isn't bad but it is hard to tell when they start going bad. If I had to do it again I would get one with the AC adapter.

I believe PACT makes pretty much all of the scales, RCBS, and others. You can usually fine their brand cheaper than the name brand ones.
    Buy 9V adapter plug it into the 9V battery conector and you are good to go without any issue.

In Remembrance

Actually that doesn't work. The scale will still think that there's only a 9V battery in there, and keep turning itself off trying to conserve electricity.

The better scales have come way down in price as the demand for them has risen. And, as the horrible (the ones to be avoided) scales are avoided by the consuming public, the pressure is on the manufacturers to make them better, with better features.

Avoid at all cost the ones that run on battery only.

Quote Originally Posted by rasto View Post
    Buy 9V adapter plug it into the 9V battery conector and you are good to go without any issue.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    rasto, great minds think alike! I have one and have done that. It works fine but just isn't as nice.

I have heard that the scales need to warm up, and I believe that is true for some. The one I have doesn't seem to make a difference and weighs accurately from the git go. So the turning off doesn't bother me one bit. Maybe I am lucky?

Boolit Master

bought a cheapie.

It was junque.

Bought a Lyman 1000.
    It was junque.
    Sent it back, got a new one. It was junque.

Gave up and spent the money for an RCBS 1500.
    Love it. It works like a reloader thinks.

BUT: It will not work without AC power.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

In Remembrance
    Well I ckecked on the model that Dukes got and talk about getting one with all the bells and whistles. I must be old school and don't keep up with the more modern way of doing stuff. Just about fell over after I looked at the price of those on Midway. Guess I'll need to really save those pennies now.

Annealing Services

Boolit Master
    I bought a Pact 1500 grain scale.. used it for about 10 years.. it stopped working and then I got the same exact scale, which had obviously been upgraded over the years (it comes to weight faster now) and it's still working..

In Remembrance

The RCBS Loadmaster 1500 I got was purchased from a guy walking around a gun show, trying to sell it to a dealer. I paid him $60 for it.

The base weighing scale isn't the whole system. You can get just the scale part cheap. The powder dispenser is what makes the complete unit so pricey.

That's what I meant when I suggested think about the future. If you got only the scale now, you could get the powder dispensor some time in the future, if you ever needed it.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    The RCBS Loadmaster 1500 I got was purchased from a guy walking around a gun show, trying to sell it to a dealer. I paid him $60 for it.

The base weighing scale isn't the whole system. You can get just the scale part cheap. The powder dispenser is what makes the complete unit so pricey.

That's what I meant when I suggested think about the future. If you got only the scale now, you could get the powder dispensor some time in the future, if you ever needed it.

That is exactly what I did.

Bought the scale then bout the charger a year later.

"Installment plan"

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford