Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 308W rifle

308W rifle

I was gifted 22 boxs of 7.62 Match ammo in LC brass. With that much ammo I just have to buy a 308.

Right??

I have it narrowed down to 2 Rifles.

The Ruger GS Scout

The Savage Mod 10 FCM (Savage version of the scout with a 20 in barrel)

Doesn't matter which one I buy - it will have the scope mounted in the traditional location!!

Why one of these? Factory Iron Sights, good and sturdy ones! (the apperature doesn't hurt either!)

I have re-read the long thread on the Ruger here. Very good information.

Anyone have info on the Savage????
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

Ruger.

Just because.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I have one of the cheapo Stevens rifles that has surprised me with it's accuracy . It might be a coin toss for you but now I'm a believer in Savage accuracy , my Rugers have been less than stellar in that respect .

I did look over the Ruger scout rifle at a show recently . While it is nice , I think they missed the boat my not using M-14 type or other readily avaiable military magazines for it .

Jack

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure about the 2 rifles selected but with cast bullet shooting in mind down the road I would make sure I got a .308W with a 12" twist. The 12" twist will also work very, very well with that LC Match ammo. Is it M118 white box, M118SB, M852 or M118LR?

Somebody really likes you BTW

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I had a Savage Scout in 7-08 and it was light, handy, and accurate. Traded it off for some reason I can not remember. I now have a Ruger Gunsite Scout and really enjoy it. Bought two of the new ten round polymer magazines and they are excellent. The RGS is accurate and a joy to use.

The action on the Savage was very slick. The RGS is not as slick when it is new, but the more you use it, the slicker it becomes. All in all I view the RGS as a better rifle than the Savage in this particular case. I tend to favor the Savage in the Model 12 Long Range Varmint as one of the best on the market in terms of accuracy and value for the buck.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Larry - This is not White Box - it is Brown with the following on one side:

20 CTRG. 7.62MM
    MATCH M882
    NOT FOR COMBACT USE

It is headstamped - LC 93 MATCH

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Ibaize3 - I know the Savage rifles are accurate - a friend of mine and I both had 7MM mags - they would shoot - we bought them about 10 years ago - I gave my 7mm mag to my SIL. My hunting partner still had his when he went to the big hunting space in the sky.

Everything I read, seen and heard Savage got it right when they started making Rifles again.

The Savage Scout is about a pound lighter than the Ruger with a longer barrel (20in?).

I can find the Ruger Gun Site locally, but not the Savage Model 10 - YET. Still looking thought.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MGySgt View Post
    Larry - This is not White Box - it is Brown with the following on one side:

20 CTRG. 7.62MM
    MATCH M882
    NOT FOR COMBACT USE

It is headstamped - LC 93 MATCH

Drew
    That's pretty bad stuff.....you might as well just send it to me and I'll dispose of it correctly............

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    if you ever get to test drive a Savage with the accu-trigger, you will never buy anything else with accuracy as the primary goal.

I got six of them at last count, all good for 1/2" groups at 100yds; including the 7STW.

Rich

Boolit Master

If you are still open to suggestions what about the Mossburg ATR? $452.00 in my zip. Take a look at Gun Genie. I reserved and bought off there before and you usually get a deal.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...sit=&pid=&inv=
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Larry - I really appreciate the offer to take that bad ammo off my hands, but I will need the brass, so I might as well shoot it up at tin cans or rocks.

P.K. - I dismissed the Mossberg - 22 in barrel - looking for a short carbine. I did look at the Model 7's, they are nice rifles but no irons on them.

Both the Ruger and Savage have the military type front sight (dog ears on the side to protect the blade) and I am partial to them - can't understand why after 26 years in the Corps!

Idaho Sharpshooter - I really want to try that Accu-Trigger and it comes on the Savage Scout rifle - I just need to find one around here to see and feel it.

I am burning some vacation that I use or loose - so Friday is another gun shop day. There are a few down in Richmond I will visit to see if they have one of the Savages. I may have to drive out to Clark Brothers if I can't find it in Richmond.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

MGySgt: Gotcha, understood and heed a little guidence. Save the vacation time and use the gun genie. Enter your zip and it will find you a gun. If not in your area, enter your area and local gun guru and it will ship. You get it at cost or dang near it. I got a 6.8 SPC through it at $$$$ below MSRP. Try it out, I was skeptical at first too. Buuuuuuut I realllllly like it now!
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

P.K. - It would work to use Gun Genie for the purchase - However I really want to touchy feely the Savage before I make my final decision.

PS - I need to use the vacation by Dec 31 or it just drops off the books - The Company I work for doesn't let us carry any over into the new year.
    Big Bore = 45+

I own 3 Savage rifles, a SS 7MM WSM, FP10 .223 24" Hvy Brl and a .17 HMR Hvy Brl. They are super accurate out of the box. Sold my Remington BDL's and replaced them with Savage.
    Last edited by pistolman44; 12-15-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

MGySgt - - Your mention of Clark Brothers brought back memories. While stationed at HQMC in '68-'72 I went there nearly every weekend to shoot at their range behind the shop. I was there a couple of days after one brother was killed when he used a torch too close to a keg of black powder.
    Last edited by MSgtUSMC; 12-15-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Boolit Buddy

'93 was a good year for LC. 22 boxes was the contents of 1 can.I have 1 1/2 cans left and they happen to be '93 also. Lucky you.

I let my fingers do the walking and used the old electonic device called a telephone (not cell phone).
    Clark Brothers do not have a Savage either along with 5 other shops I called in a 75 mile radius. I think I am out of Gun Shops to try.

Bass Proshop - No
    2 Gander Mountain's - No

Must be a conspirisy against me!

I may just go to Green Top tomorrow and buy the Ruger! Thought about ordering it - but by the time I pay shipping and transfer fee - it will be dollars from Green Tops price.

Of course with my luck - they will be sold out when I get there!
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

Savage.

They are tack drivers.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I shoot with a bunch of Savage fanatics and they've infected me.

I'll tell you this: the Savage rifles are the best, out of the box rifles money can buy. If accuracy is the goal, no rifle made beats the factory rifles that Savage is building. Expect 1/2 moa out of the box!
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Grand Master

SAVAGE!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying