Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Your First Reload.

Boolit Master
    9mm, for my sp101

anyone know when Ruger discontinued the sp101 in 9, just curious ?.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Master

9mm for my SA XD9
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Bub
    30-06 for a Savage bolt action.

Boolit Grand Master
    3" .410 in 1976 or so with the infamous Lee Loader; dipping Herco out of a paper bag, sitting on the kitchen floor with my dad.

Brass cartridge was the .22-250 about 1980. 53 grain match hollow points (I want to say Sierra) in front of 3031 did in quite a few coyotes and kept my buddy and I in gas money in the wintertime.

Robert

Boolit Master

My first was a 38 special with bullets I cast myself (358156) I had a used set of Redding dies and the decapping pin was on the expanding die. I hadn't read anything like that so I had to call Redding to find out how to use the set. Hard to believe I was so dumb back then (well maybe not so hard). I forgot powder in one case and the primer was enough to lodge the bullet in the cone and tie up the Colt. At least it wasn't a semi-auto. Learned a lot from that first session and havn't made that mistake again.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Yep just like yesterday, my 1st duck season as a shooter.
    12ga 2 3/4 , 1 1/4 , Remington RXP12 , 27.0 Unique, Rem 157/Fed 209 in their respective cases. Loaded them on a MEC 500jr , for a couple of 50s vintage Model 12s that happily reside in my Dads arsenal today. Must have been about 76 or7. The next was a 7x57 the next year.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

.357 for a Ruger Blackhawk

Boolit Master
    It was 1965 and I was 14. The cartridge was .30-06 and the rifle was my dad's 1903A4 Springfield sporter; Lake City brass, CCI primer, H4895 & 150 grain Sierra spitzer/flat base.

My dad (83) still uses that rifle and load although the component lot numbers have changed. About 3 weeks ago he shot a very nice Axis buck near Mountain Home,TX.

Boolit Grand Master

1964 in the basement with a paper bag of Ball C, Lee handloder for the meat guns in the house then, a Winchester 94 and a Springfield 840 thutty-thutty EDITED- I would like to clarify that these were not reloads but were PRECISION HANDLOADS!!
    Last edited by swheeler; 12-13-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    7mm mag. for a ruger bolt rifle

Banned

Hooboy. I really don't remember which was first. Pretty sure it was after Christmas of 1991, sophomore year of high school, when I talked my parents and step-parents into all pitching in to get me just one gift: An RCBS Ammomaster single-stage press with full accessory kit. Forgot to ask for dies, but I directed other gift money for a set of RCBS .38/357 and Lee .30-30 Winchester, so the first pull would have been on one of those two for Dad's JP Saur K-38 copy or my .30-30 Marlin.

Within a couple weeks my best friend's grandfather had shown me how to cast boolits and donated a few pounds of old powder to my cause, and I only shot J-words as a "luxury" when I could afford it, which was almost never. Stepdad gave me a shoebox full of old primers and I was in hog heaven. Still have a box of cast boolit reloads from one of my early loading sessions. Those gifts of equipment, components, and knowledge were some of the best ever.

Gear

Boolit Master

My First was .45 ACP for a Colt 1911 I aquired.
    My Reloading teacher (Dick S, RIP) taught me to first cast the bullets, size and lube them , then taught me the proper reloading procedures and load development.
    He taught me well and advised me which equipment would last a lifetime. I still use My Lyman Turret press and other stuff I bought in the early 70's Thanks to him.

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master
    8mm Mauser, was with a Lee Classic, (the hammer them in with a stick one) think it was in 1963. Still have that Classic plus multitude of others from way when.

.22-250
    55 gr. Nosler BT.
    H-380

Ruger M-77 tang safety
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    My first reload was for an old Colt 1911 service pistol, that my Grandfather brought back hidden in his duffel bag.

The boolits used were some store bought 230 grain fodder, behind an unspecified amount of Unique powder that was carefully measured out using a balance beam type scale.

The load was taken out of the book on the bench at the time. I put it all together with a RCBS RockChucker single stage press, using an RCBS Steel die set. I specifically remember lubing the cartridge brass before sizing it. I also remember reloading some of the 1950's Twin Cities Arsenal steel 45 ACP cases, as well as range pickup cartridge brass.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Man
    Started out reloading shotgun shells with my Dad at age 8. First rifle/pistol cartridge was for a S&W Model 29 .44 magnum. Now I'm doing four rifle calibers and three pistol calibers, casting for them all...and I still haven't saved any money...but I sure do shoot a lot more!
    Chuck

Any problem can be solved with the correct application of explosives.

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

Boolit Man
    The first cartridge I ran through a sizing die was a 45-70 round for one of my Marlins. 45-70 ammo was costly (even back when all other ammo was cheap), hard to come by in my area, and reloading was necessary to realize the full potential of my 1895 Marlin. That was back in the mid 1990's. That of course opened the flood gates and I have no idea how many different cartridges or rounds I have loaded since then.

wow, that was a long time ago. i THINK it was for my 357 magnum. back in the late 70's. i used some cast bullets back then, but they were bought ones, not home made boolits. usually 148g remington hbwc's. i loaded them backward sometimes. the huge "hollow point" made some interesting results in different targets. on steel, they would roll open and leave about an inch lead smear when they hit. i never did shoot an animal like that. they were loaded pretty mild anyway. they probably would have broken up into several pieces and really hurt something though.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Buddy
    75 gr HPs in a 25-06, made for spectacular hits on prairie dogs as far as you could see.

Boolit Master

1981 - I bought a Pacific Multi-C Press and reloading kit with .45 ACP dies, hence my first reload was .45 ACP, 230gr FMJ hardball for my 1937 mfg Colt 1911A1. I've since expanded to multiple other calibers but I still have that press and gun and use both regularly.