Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: New Winchester 1895 vrs Ruger #1 Intl

Boolit Buddy

New Winchester 1895 vrs Ruger #1 Intl

I know that I am hopelessly breaking another promise to my wife about no new guns for a year, but I am a very addicted gun lover. My next dream rifle will be either a Winchester, Mirikou, 1895 grade 1 in 30-40 Krag, or a Ruger #1 International in 7x57mm. I cast for 30-40, but I don't mind setting up for another caliber. I already own two single shots rifles, a origional Trap Door and a Shilo Sharps, not counting my flintlocks. I have five lever actions, but I would like one that could shoot pointed bullets. A BLR seems too modern for me. Please help me decide, all opinions are welcome.
    P.S this rifle will be used for out back plinking and deer hunting.

I've always been attracted to the Savage 99 for pointy bullets in a "classic" design. My .02

Wes
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

Boolit Master
    If you want a cast bullet rifle go with the Mdl 95 30-40. It would be hard to find a better caliber for a medium bore cast bullet shooter. The Mdl 95 is just a great gun, I've owned two of them over the years. Unfortunately neither was in 30-40.

I too like #1's and the 7x57 is a great caliber, but not one I would buy just for cast bullets.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

In Remebrance

A 95 is a heavy hunk of artillery. I don't know if that's an issue for you. Both cartridges are wonderful, but the 30-40 has a much larger selection of bullets and moulds. 7x57 brass is easier to come by.

I don;t know the costs anymore, but you have a tough choice.

Boolit Master

My 7X57 RSI is a favorite. Shoots cast well.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master
    I have a #1A 7x57.
    Be aware that #1's and 7x57's are both addictive. Taken together you'll be past all hope of re-hab in terms of your gun buying.
    What's worse is; you'll find with a light, short, feathery RSI that points like a quail gun and kills as sure as AIDS (just quicker), other guns will get left at home more while you're out hunting.
    All kidding aside, the '95 probably would be the better cast gun, but if you're looking for a deer rifle, a #1 7x57 set up right is mighty easy to love.

Boolit Master
    I have owned the 7X57 no 1 ad liked it but it did not like cast though it was reasonably accurate with jacketed bullets but nothing outstanding. I also own a 95 Win in 30-06 (wanted a 30-40 but could not find one) and like it a lot. I shot it originally with jacketed just to get a feel for it but for the last year its been one of my cast only guns for two reasons. One is that it shoots cast so well that it is a joy to use and the other is that with full house Jacketed loads the finger lever gives me a sore middle finger due to recoil and the shape of the lever. With cast I have no problems like that. I did put on a Old style receiver sight made by Providence tool co that looks like the old Lyman 20. It fits the old style of the rifle perfectly and actually adds to its looks as well as gives me the benefit of a receiver sight. All in all I can recommend the Winchester 95 very much.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GMW View Post

My next dream rifle will be either a Winchester, Mirikou, 1895 grade 1 in 30-40 Krag, .
    I have one of these in .38-55. I bought it specifically for cast bullets. I really like it. BUT there are a LOT more .30 cal bullet designs than .375.

You will love either one. ( If you can afford the divorce. )

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Ruger made the #3 in 30-40 Krag. Every once in a while, one pops up on gunbroker. Cheaper, lighter, faster than a high wall.

Of course, John Browning's first rifle design happens to be the most beautiful rifle ever made by anybody -- before or since.

I have two high walls and a couple of #3 Rooooooger. They're all great rifles. I treat the high walls with kid gloves, but throw the No. 3s around like they are old friends -- which they are.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have a Browning BPCR which is an incredible rifle and I also have Ruger No1s (in 338WM and 416Rigby.

The Ruger would be a better choice for a hunting rifle as they are generally lighter and handier (although there were a number of lighweight 1895s in 243, etc).

The Ruger No1 in 303British is currently available and would be a great cast boolit rifle as welll as being a handy hunting rifle which looks a treat as well!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

I have both (although my 1895 is an original) and can honestly say that the Ruger gets two to three times the use.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    [QUOTE=stubshaft;1488356]I have both (although my 1895 is an original) and can honestly say that the Ruger gets two to three times the use.[/QUOTE

Thats sort of what I meant, both great rifles, but the Rugers are generally more 'go to!'
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    If you like a lever rifle, the 1895 is the way to go. I have an original and it sees about as much use as my Trapdoors. Of course when I want a small bore, it sees a lot of use. Never having owned or even handled the Ruger, I can not comment.

Since you are interested in the 1895 have you considered the 405 WCF?
    Last edited by StrawHat; 12-04-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

I have the 1895 in 30-06 and a Ruger #1 in 45-70. I like both a bunch, but the #1 gets the nod because of its' weight and ergonomics.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

I have an original 95 that spent its life in a saddle scabbard so the gun is nearly in the white. It handles the dirty environment of the Bad Lands and sure does not weigh over much. Heavy = BLR. This 95 is very successful with 200 gr. Jacketed and 220 cast. Accuracy for the 2 bullets is about equal at 2 inches at 100 yards with original buckhorn sight.

Boolit Buddy

I purchased the 1895 in 30-40 and I love it! It is the grade one model and the fit and finish are beautiful. I have a 311299 mold and I am working up some loads. I could use a little help in the load department. Thanks for all the suggestions.