Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting a Swag Die Business - Need some input

Boolit Bub

Starting a Swag Die Business - Need some input

Hello everyone. I am starting a new bullet swaging die making business, and would like some feedback from this knowledgeable community. The reason that im starting this business, is that its something that im simply passionate about, and i happen to have some nice equipment. I got into long range shooting several years ago, and have had several 1000 yard + shots on big game and coyotes alike. I became interested in bullet design shortly after getting into shooting those long distances.
    So, here is my inquiry for all of you serious reloaders out there. When i start this small business, what kind of dies would you guys purchase (not assuming that you will, but what kind would you buy if you were interested in doing so). I have CNC machines, that will be able to build die reamers with relative ease, so the dies will cost considerably less than say, corbin or an outfit like that. Im not sure what i will charge for a set of dies, but im thikning somewhere near the 350-400 range for a flat base die set.
    The dies that i planned on making would be .224 Using fired .22LR jackets, some Low drag .243's, low drag .257's, low drag .264's, low drag .284's, low drag .308's, and low drag .338s. I planned also on making dies to swage .458 paper patch bullets for those 45.70 shooters out there. Another neat idea may be some whisper bullets... not sure if people would buy them, but hes, its worth a shot. Whisper's are Round nose, boat tail bullets that are to be used in subsonic applications. Anyhow, if you guys get a free second, PLEASE leave me some feedback on what you would be most interested in. I have spent many many hours reading the wonderful stories on this website, so your input and interests will be a definite deciding factors in my decisions for this business in the near future. Let me know, and if there is some interest in my operation on this site, i will post my website (as soon as i finish programming)

Boolit Buddy
    Hi there

First of all, your dies should be somehow special if you want to tear off a piece of die making cake bussiness.
    To be honest I am the one who ordered 5 die set from Kain dies. Because considerable lower price (not only that) in comparison with long term suppliers as Corbin etc.
    So consider price policy, innovation, quality, reliability, AVIABILITY and the sixth but not the last personal touch with the customers needs.
    If you feel to be exceptional in my listed opinions I thing you are ready to start long long journey of making successful bussiness = satisfied customers

Boolit Man
    Good luck with your start-up. We need more motivated businessmen out there. My Friend has recently restarted his business which operated specifically supplying the African Market.
    Working with him has been a pleasure and I will pass this bit of info on to you right now. Call the Feds and get the class 6 licensing started. It takes time and can be frustrating so if you are able to navigate all that baloney you will be ready for the rest.
    I don't know enough to help with anything else but I do wish you well.
    Frank

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for your quick reply. I completely agree with you. Customers are the most important part of the operation! If i were to start building dies, and the word got out (especially on a forum like this) that they were poor quality, or that i was a pain in the ***/neglectful business person, then it wouldnt take long for me to fail in a hard way. THanks again for the response, and hope to hear more

In Remembrance

Here we go again.

I'd suggest that you check in with this forum's owners and register as a VENDOR account.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Moderator Emeritus

Coltac,
    Welcome to castboolits.

I've never heard the terminology "Low drag" ???
    Is there any High drag bullets ?

will you offer jackets ?
    or jacket forming dies ?
    they may be more lucrative in the interm...as you build a reputation
    as a rifle bullet swage die maker, I suspect that'll be a tough row to hoe,
    Buyers of $400 die sets may be leary of a New Die maker
    'til he has some 'street cred'
    Good Luck.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    I could offer jacket forming dies, will take some time to perfect those for sure. As for "low drag" bullet dies, I mean something on the line of Berger VLD style.... If that makes sense to ya. I will need to build a reputation with people like you, so I'm ping to start slow and simple. Thanks for looking and I'll get square with a vendor account with the admins as soon as the ball starts rolling in the right direction.

Moderator Emeritus

Being new to the board I have a request. Would you mind posting photos or sending a couple sets of dies to members to test and evaluate? I ask as these are typically expensive products and buying sight unseen is quite a leap of faith. If you are willing to send a couple sets on a evaluation basis, let me know and I will work with you on getting them to members that are experienced swagers and can give them a proper evaluation then get them back to you.

Thanks,

Wiljen
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master

I am intrested in .22 low drag dies with cases formed from 17 hmr or .22 mag brass.
    finished bullets in the 75-80 grain range.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Good luck, hope you have success. The Corbins and Blackmon ain't gonna be with us forever, and there will always be a market for quality swaging dies if you can make 'em.

Boolit Buddy
    Coltac,
    I read your inquiry with interest about starting a die making business. In my mind, to make a good business there are a number of things to take into consideration.

First off, in the gun shooting/reloading community the knowledge level of swaging ranges far and wide. Most have little or no concept of swaging while others may know of the concept but have little experience while other select few may actually have some equipment and have made their own projectiles.

I would hazard to guess that most that have done much swaging to this point have either spent a great deal of money and/or time to turn out good projectiles. The point here is that (in my opinion) to build a good business requires several things:

1. A web site illustrating/describing your entire process from beginning to end in infinite detail. Free information.
    2. A product line of not only dies but set up presses and sources of supplies such as lead and jackets so that the swager can get what they need in one place.
    3. A willingness to make and support specialized items in dies and punches for those that want that special caliber or ogive.
    4. Support for new and experienced swagers for anything you sell
    5. Fast turn around on product you sell which possibly means inventory.
    6. A forum where swagers can ask questions and others can post answers specific to your products. Also you can post pictures of dies, finished projectiles and testimonial targests.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Martin

Vendor Sponsor

Welcome to the sight. All you could possibly need to know about swaging can be found here with a lot of great people.

As for start up swage die business advise... In my opinion, being new to this sight and being this is your first posts you will need to establish your credentials and prove the potential of your product. Provide good pics of what your dies and the bullets they make will look like. Provide pics of the targets shot with said bullets. Make a few dies first. See what it may take to produce a quality set of dies you feel is up to your, or the customer's standards. You will establish yourself in better standing with members of this forum if you first prove the potential of your dies before offering them for sale.

Good luck, good shooting and Swage On,

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    My humble advice:

Listen to the guys here.

Don't worry about the vendor thing until you're ready to start selling.

Make a good product at a fair price ($400 for swaging dies is fair, but only if if they're good)

Have realistic wait times.

Now step back, make a dozen sets of swage dies that are all usable, and make sure your process is repeatable, then set the price after that, not beforehand.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    My humble advice:

Now step back, make a dozen sets of swage dies that are all usable, and make sure your process is repeatable, then set the price after that, not beforehand.
    Well put. Simple. "Repeatablity" such a simple term but...... well it can be a lot of work.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Grand Master

Coltac

You might start by finding DanR's long thread about his issues in starting his business, Kane dies. I believe it's on the second page. Second, while this is very different than long distance shooting, nobody but Corbin currently makes half jackets for pistol bullets. Corbin's are very expensive. If you can make a swage die you should be able to make the equipment to make half jackets? If you can make them at a reasonable price there will be buyers. There are enough old half jacket dies out there.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

Welcome to CB coltac ....

Please please please dont post anything about your dies until they are ready to sell. the 30 page thread from danr was painful. Test them, refine them, make them and then announce them.

Boolit Master

I swage with RCE LLC gear. At the price range your talking your not that much less expensive than Richard. I do wish you well and look forward to seeing what you have to offer. I Use Dr. Larry Blackmon gear too. Honestly your not any cheaper.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    Here we go again.

I'd suggest that you check in with this forum's owners and register as a VENDOR account.
    ???? Shouldn't we be encouraging him? More products to choose from is always a good thing! Competition is a good thing as well it keeps new things on the market and requires everyone to be inventive if they wish to stay in business.

I for one wish you luck!!

Hey Coltac,,,

Listen to everything that BT Sniper Says and Puts up in photos LOOK at Everything HE has.

He is doing the Do,, right NOW & is Making GREAT Products and HAS come up with AMAZING processes and ideas. Thankyou Bt Sniper!

Then Go to Corbins website and Download ALL of his FREE PDF & HTML Documents he has and READ Everything he has too.

READ EVERYTHING and afterwords see if you still want to Proceed,,,,These guys have been there and are still there so YOU can benifit from their knowledge.

Just My 2 cents. Swageocast