Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: lyman 17a

Boolit Master

lyman 17a

I have a couple of Lyman 17A sights. Over time, one insert went here and one went there, etc. I see the new 17A's being advertised now have 8 inserts -- 4 are aperture style and the others are posts and yellow disk.

I want to reorganize. Does anyone know what the number of aperture inserts were in a 17A set from years ago? Maybe sizes also? The current sizes are .093, .102, .110, and .120.

Thanks.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master
    I do not have the answer to your question. However, you may want to look at inserts other than the Lyman's. I much prefer those by Lee Shaver.
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    I have a set of Ron Snover inserts which I can use. I just want to try to organize what I have back into complete sets.

Boolit Master

Good evening Hiram,
    I've got an old 17A that has 8 inserts, don't know if that's complete. Also have a #77 which uses the same size inserts, and that one has 12. Various posts, both square and round dots, apertures, orange disk, and a blank disk with aperature. Confused yet? Hope that helps ya.
    Have a happy Thanksgiving,
    Al

In Remembrance

Have a set

in the little metal can and in the cardboard box. Came in the box with front sight.
    It is a complete set. Five apertures and two posts.
    Price on the box is $2.50 . Who knows how old?
    Says on the label, Lyman "17A "A" Target front with seven inserts. For Springfield Model 1903
    .30 Gov't "06" caliber.

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    I do not have the answer to your question. However, you may want to look at inserts other than the Lyman's. I much prefer those by Lee Shaver.
    This is what I would have said, however it's already been said. So, all I can say is that I concur with the afore mentioned remarks about Lee Shaver inserts being superior to those that come with the Lyman sight.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    I was able to get the info that there are 4 metal and 1 plastic apertures. The old sets had 2 posts. The newer sets include a bead on a post.

I sorted all the pieces and reorganized into sets. I found I had some extras.

Here is a link showing what size front aperture to use on what target and at what distance:

http://fuzzylimey.net/projects/targapert.html