MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Was Your First Gun

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.

What Was Your First Gun

Ok what was your first gun? Where did you get it? and do you still have it?

I'll kick it off I got my first gun when I was about 8 or 10. I got one because my brother 3 years older than I was starting to learn to shoot and he got a gun. My first gun was a Winchester low wall in .22 short that had been my fathers and he used a hacksaw to cut about 3" off the stock and 4" off the barrel so I could hold it. It was never recrowned so it will keyhole a bullet in 50 feet and yes I still have it and it still works.

Blacksmith

Boolit Master
    Single shot .410 shotgun, still in the family. I was a snake killer then too.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Mine was a 410 single shot also I got it around 12. It was on layaway I thought and gave my Dad the money until it was paid for. I gave him the last of it and then asked if we could go and get it praying it was going to be a yes. He told me to go look behind the seat of his truck it been there the entire time I was paying him. Oh got it from Kmart and no I sold it but its on the list of guns I wish I had never got rid of.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

I was 6 yrs old when my uncle gave me his Winchester model 67 single shot .22. I kept it until in my 30's when I gave it back to him 'cause he had a son and I thought his boy would want it. Back last summer my uncle gave it back to me 'cause his son had no interest in guns whatsoever. I am glad he did. I have killed many, many squirrels with it.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master

I think we've done this a time or two but mebe it was somewhere else. I assume we're talking about firearms, mine was a used Remington Model 34 22 rifle and I still have it. When I was 11, my second rifle was a Winchester Model 94 in 30 WCF of course, also used and made about 1930. When I was 12 I got a NEW Winchester Model 37 in 20 gauge. I still have the Model 94. My son and grandson have the 20 gauge.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Grand Master
    Winchester 1400 20 gauge.
    Still have it, got it for Christmas when I was about 15. Must have been 1979 or so.

My daughter got her first at 13 or so, Ruger 10/22. Still has it too!

Iver Johnson Champion .410. Got it on my 7th birthday in 1953 and still have it.

Boolit Master

Sears and Roebuck single shot .22, got it for Christmas when I was 13. Still have it but it wears a K-4 now. Just cannot seem to line up them open sights.

Facta non verba

Boolit Buddy
    well looks like the .410 was pretty popular .. i got my stevens single when i was about 9
    shot my first squirrel rabbit and deer with it and still own it today
    we are soldiers we guard honor and wage war in between we wait like a stone untill our chance comes again

Boolit Master
    Beretta model 76. Still have it.

My dad had a couple guns but wasn't really into them. I got my first when I was old enough to buy my own.

Boolit Buddy
    Springfield Model 87A that had been my dad's given to me when I was 9 or 10, still have it.
    63/37 Sn/Pb is a terrible boolit alloy but its other use pays the bills.

Boolit Master
    My first gun was a Winchester youth single shot 22lr with a peep sight given to me by my grandfather when I was 11ish. When he passed away he left me a M70 in 22-250 with the agreement that I give the 22lr to my sister. She still has that 22 and I still have the 22-250.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

I was 13 when I joined the high school rifle team. I was given a ~1957 Anschutz to use, this was 1975. I used the rifle all through high school and all through the 80's as a "senior club" member. When the club lost its home in the 90's (the PAL) I was offered the rifle. I bought it and I still have it and used it often in competition until 2005 when I bought a new Anschutz. I'd never give up that rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Remington Mod 514 BR (Boys Rifle) single shot .22. Was about '64-'65. A gift from my parents. I once used it during a Cub Scout .22 RF match and placed second. I still have it today.

The first rifle I bought for myself was a Rem. 700 BDL in .30-06 in 1976. I paid $179 for it at K-Mart. I put on a Tasco 3X9X32 Wideview scope with Weaver mounts and bases. I still have the rifle today with the same set-up. There have been many, many rounds through that combo and its still going strong.

Isaac

Boolit Buddy

Colt SAA second generation .357 magnum

Boolit Master
    Earned the money to buy my first gun by picking cucumbers at a neighbors farm...if I remember correctly it cost $12.00 at a pawn shop in N.J. (has been forever since you could buy a firearm at a pawn shop in N.J.). I was ten.

The gun was a Savage model 6 deluxe semi auto.

I took it home to our farm, where we had a firing range at the end of one of the fields; dad set up a target, handed me the gun, and it went full auto, emptying the tube magazine.

Dad grabbed the gun from me, turned around and headed back to the house with it.

Dispite my begging, he would not let me shoot it again until it was repaired...at the age of ten I thought it was much cooler as a 'machine gun' than the semi auto we got back from the gunsmith.

Previous owner must have had some skills, 'cause it didn't bobble a bit, rattled off a whole magazine full without a hitch in about a half second.

Can't imagine why someone would do this to what turned out to be a great little plinker (couldn't hunt with it in N.J., shotgun only).
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master

H&R topper 410 in about 1976 along with three boxes of Ted Williams paper shells at Sears. Don't have it any more.

Boolit Master
    My first gun was a Stevens model 84-C clip fed rifle, in 22 short/long.

My Grandparents allowed me to use/borrow the Stevens 22, so I could keep the blue jays, and the other pest birds out of the apple trees in the orchard. I got so good at keeping the bird population in check as a youngster, that I was eventually allowed to hang onto the Stevens 22 rifle permanently.

After showing that I could safely, and responsibly handle the 22, I was also allowed the use of my Grandfathers Winchester 1897 12 gauge as well.

That Winchester became my very own shotgun in time, and I was allowed to keep and care for it. Today both firearms reside in a special place in my gun safe, and a warm place in my heart.

They were respectively my first rifle and shotgun. Now I look back at it the whole event as a coming of age thing. I appreciated the responsibility, as well as the trust that was involved in the gesture quite a bit back then, and I still do today.

I still own both of the guns, and I won't be parting with them anytime soon. I get a warm fuzzy feeling looking at them, handling them, or shooting them still. To me they are priceless.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master
    First firearm was a 20 gauge remington 870 youth model. Still have it. Earned the money to buy it while working for my dad doing service calls on commercial restaurant equipment all over south east michigan. Took my first timber doodle and thunder chicken with that shot gun. Shot my first clean round of skeet with it too.

First pistol was a S&W model 19 police trade in. My father bought it in the 80s, carried at work for a few years then gave it to me on my 18th birthday. Still have that one of course. Carried that one more miles than I can remember while in college, most of the bluing is worn off the gun, wore out a couple thousand pieces of brass shooting .38 special +P class loads though it. I tried cold blue but that didn't last long, I just keep it well oiled and the rust bugs stay at bay. Opening day of grouse season 2006 I took the head off a grouse at +35 yds with a 150gr KT over 14.0gr of WIN 296, Jen witnessed the whole thing. To this day she thinks I am the best shot she's ever seen......guess she didn't see the silly grin while I walked out to pick the bird up.
    Some where between here and there.....

Generous Donator

Westernfield 740 in 30-30 when I was 13. Walked into a Wards catalog store and ordered and picked it up about 5 days later when it came in. No parents with me.