Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: 22 rimfire brass cleaning

22 rimfire brass cleaning

I clean my rimfire brass in stainless media. Normally I let 1 batch run all night and change it out the next day. Due to my work schedule, the last several batches have gone several days. Anyway, when I opened the tumbler, the brass all looked like nickel brass. Bright and shiny with a silver color. After rinsing and putting it on a towel to dry, it tarnishes or darkens pretty quick. Anybody else run into this? Any reason why I shouldn't use them? They kind of look cool.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the stainless pins to tumble my brass too. I have noticed the same thing now and then. Turning the brass silver color I think, has to do with the PH of the water solution (amount of dish washing soap and quantity of Lemon Brite, plus the duration of tumbling. Some do tarnish quickly but that is because there is no oil or wax coating at all on the brass. I kind of like it that way. I would not hesitate to use them, I think they will be fine.

Boolit Man
    Rinse in cold water and use a fan to dry the brass.

Rinse them in hot water to get all the priming compound out before you derim, after you have turned them into bullets just rinse once more with some ajax to degrease and them use a liquid brass cleaner like iosso.

This is what I do, The only shortfall I have is the lead will oxidize a little on the open top, but it turns it almost solid black which kinda looks cool. It's only a cosmetic thing, It has been hard for me to find a way that allows me to do everything in bulk but its a process for sure.
    My firearms project blog

Quote Originally Posted by algunjunkie View Post
    Rinse in cold water and use a fan to dry the brass.
    I do. Just out of curiosity, I ran some of the silver ones through again. They all turned back to brass.

Boolit Master
    I have an issue with that happening when I anneal them. A rinse in lemi-shine for 5 minutes turns them back to normal color.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor