MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lathe for die work?

Boolit Buddy

Lathe for die work?

I'm looking to get a small lathe for some work I have to do and was wondering how large of a machine does it take to do hobby die work? I'm by no means looking to build a mass amount of dies just enough for my own needs. I don't have a ton of space nor money so I'd be looking at a smaller lathe. Any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    a 9" south bend would do nice, that is what i use.

Boolit Buddy
    How large is a 9" lathe? It will end up going down stairs.

Is something like this worth a dang? http://www.ebay.com/itm/7x12-Precisi...#ht_752wt_1270

I'd watch Craig's list in your area, the mill you show on ebay will work. I talked to a guy that has one and they aren't as forgiving when cutting threads as the gears are plastic and you can strip them. Teh good news for those little machines is they are still making parts and you can get a lot of accesories for them.

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...php?category=1

I can't remember if this is the right website, but they even sell a milling adaptor for those litle machines.

I'd probably buy a used machine like the one off ebay and then you can decide if you want a bigger lathe. Honestly you can always keep the small lathe around for doing some small parts.

Craig's list in my area will have one pop up every couple of months for 300 or 350.

Boolit Master
    I use one like the ebay one, only mine is the 7x14 inch model.
    I have made swaging and sizing dies on it and it is ok.
    You just need to take it slow and small cuts to not overload the motor.
    There is a web site that has lots of hints and mods for that lathe.
    And Little Machine Shop sells parts and upgrades for it.
    It has worked ok for me to learn on, but now I want a bigger one.

Lafaun
    Last edited by alfloyd; 12-24-2011 at 12:00 AM.
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Master
    a 9" s-b can be taken apart and moved easy.

i started with a 12" atlas it was in and out of 3 cellers with out a problem.

Boolit Master

Save your money and buy a real lathe with a quick change gear box and gears made of steel. Spend your money once on a good machine and you will always be happy, spend it on junk and you will never be happy.

Boolit Buddy
    Stealthshooter,

I too use a South Bend 9 by 48 lathe. I agree with deltaenterprizes that a quick change gear box is the way to go. My lathe is in the basement and it was taken apart in 3 pieces. It took 3 of us to get the bed downstairs but it stays dry and warm.

In our area (Northern Illinois) there are a lot of used machines that have come on the market due to machine shops in the area either closing up or upgrading. Your best bet is to get a connection with someone in your area that has the inside track on the used machine market.

Note also that the lathe is just the beginning as you will likely spend as much on tooling as you did for the lathe unless it comes with the lathe. Then there is always the want list which will include measuring tools like micrometers and indicators.

This is my two cents.

Martin

Vendor Sponsor

YEP! Lathes! Listen to Delta!

I too got a well used 12" atlas for a starter lathe. I have learned a great deal on it. Quick change gear box is a MUST if you plan on cutting threades though.

I just picked up the quick change tool post for it. BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The AXA 100 import version. Highly recamended vs. the silly lantern tool post holder on the atlas.

Anyway you can go crazy searching the net for what might be the "best" or what one's "favorite" is. I am still looking. Buying used is tricky IMOP. Buying new is a gamble too. Best to have someone with you who "knows" what they are looking at if you by used.

You want to buy a good lathe and only spend/cry once but....... what lathe would that be? Beleive me I have looked and searched, considered used for $5K or new for $15K to new imports for $2-$3K.

I made a list the other day of all the "recamended" lathes I found someone make an opinion on. By the time I was done the list covered the page. So many clones or same machine sold under differenet names. Do your researce and good luck.

I have not used the mini lathe but I walked pass one at Harbor Freight. I have see guys make decent stuff on these lathes but to me, after using larger 12" lathe the little thing just looked like a toy.

It is a heck of a lot of fun making tools with a lathe. Tryign to decide what lathe would best suit your needs......... well that is the question now isn't it

things to consider

cost
    weight
    size
    power source
    quick change gears (quick change tool post is an easy add on latter for about $100)

My 12" atlas fits well in the garage, runs of 110, weights probalby around 200# ??, I can move it by myself carfully if need be, and can be found used for decent price, works for me but it was given to me for a tryle run then I purchased latter from the guy. I didn't know brand A from X at teh time it was given to me.

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 11-16-2011 at 11:39 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Man
    I'm no expert, but I'm also looking for a lathe. I've spent quite a bit of time reading, and this what I've found.

You'll find a lot of debate about "Old American Iron" vs. new import lathes. There are a lot of people who categorically dismiss all the imports. Many have never used one, some have.

There are good deals on "old American iron" for a person who knows a great deal about them. If you don't know what you're doing, you could easily get one that looks fine to an amateur but is worn out. If the ways are worn, the carriage will dip slightly as it approaches the chuck, and cut a taper.

I've run across several posts by machinists who say they have an old American lathe in their garage, and an import. They do more accurate work on the import (assuming it is a decent one).

From what I've read, nearly all the import lathes come from the same factory in China. They differ in features, accessories, price, warranty/support, and probably tolerances. The smallest import lathes have the worst reputation.

From what I've seen, Grizzly has a good reputation for product support and price/features.

If this Grizzly goes on sale for black Friday, I'll order it. If not, I'll still probably order it within a few days. I've been looking for a month on craigslist, and haven't found any bargains. From what I've read, this one is a lot of lathe for the money, and its hard to beat without spending a lot more.

If you want to search craigslist, use searchtempest.com. It will search all craigslist posts for all cities within a distance of you.

I searched and searched last year for a lathe. No used market in my area.
    I went to oder a little 7x12" mini from Grizzly, but they were 3 months back ordered. I ended up spending a little on the 10x22" he links above.
    I am glad I did! Love it for my tinkering, but I dont have a professional machine shop. Just want to learn and explore.

Plenty of power and size. Only thing I wish it did was run the lead screw in reverse when changing the spindle direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ksJoe View Post
    You'll find a lot of debate about "Old American Iron" vs. new import lathes. There are a lot of people who categorically dismiss all the imports. Many have never used one, some have.
    I'll categorically dismiss cheap Asian lathes because I once worked for a company that imported them. They are 90% scrap in a new box. Bearings are the cheapest grade, castings never stress relieved, plastic gears, leadscrews not hardened, fasteners of metal that's barely even steel, bushings of brass, not bronze, and on and on and on. The Taiwanese were as bad as the mainland stuff. One country that DID sell us some good product was Daewoo, in Korea. Daewoo also made a lot of the machines sold here by Japanese companies, and may still for all I know.

The one really good bench lathe in recent years was the Austrian Emco-Meier. They don't make it anymore. Couldn't compete with the Chinese scrap, I suspose. If you find one used - buy it immediately.

IMHO you cannot buy a new bench lathe with any life in it for under $2000. And for much less than that you can get a VERY good used American machine that will outlast you. FACT: I just saw a very nice 12" x 60" Logan toolroom lathe (floor standing type) with taper attachment go at auction for $650. A nice Emco-Meier 10" bench type went at $750 at the same auction, but it had the leadscrew removed for some reason. I had to grit my teeth to avoid buying them both. I already have two lathes, and no room to even set up the second one.
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

Friend of mine has the Austrian Emco. Spoiled me.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy
    Dang now my head is really spinning! What do I look for when inspecting a used machine?

Boolit Buddy
    My advice is to befriend a good machinist or tool & die maker. They will be able to check a lathe and tell you if it is in need of parts or repairs. Buying them lunch and a few beers is worth it for the head knowledge you will get in return. I did a lot of small work on a 6" Atlas/Craftsman lathe years ago. I now am using a 7" X 14" Chinese import. I have nearly every accessory that is made for them. I am satisfied with mine. One must remember that most American made lathes are old and have seen a hard life. Occasionally you will find a really good one that is owned by a home shop machinist. South Bend, Logan, Delta, Clausing, are all good machines. The small Chinese lathes are sold under many names and are painted different colors. They are basically all as similar as peas in a pod. There is/was an outfit in Louisiana called "Lathemaster" that sells/sold a heavier version of the small Chinese lathes. They appeared pretty impressive. You probably wouldn't go wrong purchasing a Grizzly lathe. It has been reported they stand behind what they sell. Do a Google computer search for "Mini Lathe". You will be able to find a plethora of information on the small Chinese lathes. LOL

Trifocals
    NRA life member

"Never give in except to convictions of honor and good."
    Winston Churchill

Vendor Sponsor

My head is still spinning too and I've had the Atlas for a couple years now.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

I am looking at a Jet used online right now. Looks decent.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy

i all i have to say is, STAY AWAY FROM FREIGHT HARBOR HOBBY LATHES!! they are complete junk.

i used a 6inch atlas, works great and was damn cheap for $400 from craigslist.

just remember, whatever you get, make sure you can still get parts for it, or you'll be looking to adapt parts for it, or even making them by hand.

quick change tool post is a MUST. and try and stay away from the 3 jaw chucks.. they are pretty much junk, i've had several and have never had one that would center worth a beans.

thanks,
    Dan

I purchased a mini lathe about 1 yar ago and it has been awesome. I have pics of it posted in my album. I've made a 22 de-rim die and am working on a core swage and point form die curently. Time is my biggest challenge. I would recomend starting small. I have a lrge garage and a ton of space for larger but it's nice to ba abl to sit next to my fridge and spin metal. Whatever you decide have fun.
    Gravity is not just a good idea........ ITS THE LAW!!!
    How can i soar like an Eagle.... When I am surrounded by Turkeys!!!!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by OneShotNeeded View Post
    but it's nice to ba abl to sit next to my fridge and spin metal.
    Is the fridge in the kitchen or the garage?

I'm trying to decide whether to put in the garage, or the storage room of the basement. Just wondering how much of a mess you make, and if it smokes much cutting hard metal?