MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: 310 gr GC and h110

Boolit Master

310 gr GC and h110

Where is max in this load? I'm shooting a Super Red Hawk 44 mag...And had my fun with the 240 gr boolits and H110..Now I'm looking at the heavy end of things and wandering what the Max is. Of course, I would work my way there and may not even get to max in my gun.

Just can't seem to find anything in stone with my data. I would like that boolit to reach at least 1100 ft/sec...1150 or faster is fine

I'm looking for a good 50 yd stable round for Deer. Something for close range knock down killing power. I may be hunting near some posted land and cannot enter so I need a Hammer load. If I see the Buck of my life I would want a load to shoot through both shoulders.

The posted land is a huge boyscout camp and they are anti hunting A.. faces. I've scouted this out and there are a number of big bucks in this area. My luck, I'd shoot one and watch it run right onto the posted land, not gonna happen if i can help it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Are you using the rear crimp groove?

I do, and 21 grs. of H-110 or WW296 is my load in a Redhawk.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

I must be getting old. I new I had a load for a 349gr bullet in the 44 mag. I seemed like I just loaded it recently so I startedd going through my log. I finally found it back in spring of 2006. anyway. The bullet was Lyman 429649 cast from Saeco 5 range lead with 2% tin added. 16gr of AA#9 drove it 1293fps. OAL was 1.682 so it was shot in a 12in Contender barrel. It shot all 5 shots into 2in @ 50yds. ES was 5.6 & Sd was 2.4. Not too shabby.
    15gr AA#9 drove it 1211fps, ES = 11.4 & Sd = 5.1. Didn't record the accuracy on that one.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post

Thanks for that and yes my rear is crimped, i mean crimp the rear groove, longest over all.

Banned

The Lee 310 shoots the best for me with 21.5 gr of 296 and a Fed 150 primer. H110 should work the same.
    I quit there because accuracy started downhill with more powder.
    Groups closed evenly as I worked up and started to do the same as I went over. I am getting a little over 1300 fps with a 10" SBH.
    The same load works in a SRH.
    It is also great with a 320 gr LBT WLNCG but when I use my 330 gr, I drop to 21 gr.
    I worked loads with a Fed 155 primer but never got them to shoot like I want. All groups tripled in size.
    There is just no reason to go faster or look for max.
    You need to spin the heavy boolits right and they don't like to be shot slow in the .44. Too fast is no good either.
    I have had no problems to -10* and deer are dead! I use good case tension. Groups open a little in the cold but so far, all mag primers tests gave worse accuracy. Maybe -20* would need them.
    I don't want that cold anyway at my age!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post

I just got done shoot some 300 grain boolits with only 20 gns of H110 and I though that was about as hot as I felt comfortable shooting. I was shooting them in a redhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel and the primers were very flat. I didn't have any issues ejecting the brass, but if I was shooting a lesser pistol I would have stopped. This was the max load listed in my data. I have heard of guys going to 22 grains, but personally I think they are nuts. I like to enjoy shooting not killing my hands. Good luck.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    21.1 gr. of H110 with the Federal 155 primer pushing either the Lee 310 gr. or a Grier's GC'ed HC weighing 320 gr. in a Ruger RH and a SRH. Crimped for the longer overall cartridge length.

My accuracy ran out at 180 yds when I tried to charge heavier than that.

Three 44s

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    The Lee 310 shoots the best for me with 21.5 gr of 296 and a Fed 150 primer. H110 should work the same.
    Groups closed evenly as I worked up and started to do the same as I went over. I am getting a little over 1300 fps with a 10" SBH.
    The same load works in a SRH.
    It is also great with a 320 gr LBT WLNCG but when I use my 330 gr, I drop to 21 gr.
    I worked loads with a Fed 155 primer but never got them to shoot like I want. All groups tripled in size.
    There is just no reason to go faster or look for max.
    You need to spin the heavy boolits right and they don't like to be shot slow in the .44. Too fast is no good either.
    I have had no problems to -10* and deer are dead! I use good case tension. Groups open a little in the cold but so far, all mag primers tests gave worse accuracy. Maybe -20* would need them.
    I don't want that cold anyway at my age!
    Just seems 1100 FT/SEC is the magical bottom for those heavy boolits in my gun. I've tried 10-11 grs of Unique, never got any good accuracy and refuse to play with such a fast powder further on.

Boolit Grand Master
    The load I listed chronographs 1230 fps. in my 7 1/2" Redhawk.

I also use 13.5 grs. of Bluedot with the same boolit for 1100 fps and good stability.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master
    I use 21.5 gr h 110
    with a 310 Accurate boolit
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Lee C 429-310 and 18.5 is the most accurate load I have ever shoot out of my Super Redhawk. at 50 yards, I shot up to 21.5, but 18.5 was most accurate.

I may be wrong, but if you hit where you should, I think this will have a fatal impression on a deer.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned

Yes they do, you don't need a lot of velocity for hunting.
    Remember that I use a standard primer, just the primers guys use can change the loads.
    In the .475 I got a heavy boolit to shoot good with HS-6 but I never chronographed it.
    I don't work with other powders much but maybe the right one would allow a slower boolit.

Boolit Man
    21gr of H110 on the Lee 310 with a gc is my favorite load also. Great in my RH and a real thumper in my 77/44.
    Beat profusely with hammer until functional.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Handloader #265 lists 23 of H110 (I use WW296, same thing) as max with the 310 hard cast 310gr boolit. It is what I use when I call bear. It's a prety high adrenaline rush when they are 20-25 yards out, nose in the air, snufflin' lookin' for a meal. Not a time for light loads. They will put a hole thru a bear from one end to the other. These make 1350FPS in my 9.5" SRH
    The load is VERY heavy, and the magazine suggests it NOT be used in lighter .44 Mag chambered guns.
    Work up your own max, and don't wreck your S&W's or Taurus with these!

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Where is max in this load? I'm shooting a Super Red Hawk 44 mag...And had my fun with the 240 gr boolits and H110..Now I'm looking at the heavy end of things and wandering what the Max is. Of course, I would work my way there and may not even get to max in my gun.

Just can't seem to find anything in stone with my data. I would like that boolit to reach at least 1100 ft/sec...1150 or faster is fine

I'm looking for a good 50 yd stable round for Deer. Something for close range knock down killing power. I may be hunting near some posted land and cannot enter so I need a Hammer load. If I see the Buck of my life I would want a load to shoot through both shoulders.

The posted land is a huge boyscout camp and they are anti hunting A.. faces. I've scouted this out and there are a number of big bucks in this area. My luck, I'd shoot one and watch it run right onto the posted land, not gonna happen if i can help it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SP101GUY View Post
    21gr of H110 on the Lee 310 with a gc is my favorite load also. Great in my RH and a real thumper in my 77/44.
    Thant 77/44 is a very neat, very cool little bolt gun. I like them a bunch.. I think I need one some day. Or at least buy my youngest son one some day and of course I'll have to break it in.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Thant 77/44 is a very neat, very cool little bolt gun. I like them a bunch.. I think I need one some day. Or at least buy my youngest son one some day and of course I'll have to break it in.
    It is a tricky gun with the rotary magazine. Like the .44 semi auto, many boolits will not fit. I had some fine shooting with them but some boolits had to be loaded single shot.

Boolit Man
    Like 44man said, they can only be loaded so long. I load to the top crimp groove or they would not fit in the magazine. I load them long for the RH.

A J
    Beat profusely with hammer until functional.

Boolit Man
    I load a 310 over 19.5 grains of W296 in my Marlin 1894 and get 1600 fps and incredible accuracy. It is my go to load, and all I load in that rifle period. Fantastic load. Mild recoil and hard hitting.

Boolit Master
    As 44MAN said:
    I used his advice a coulple of years ago for my Ruger SBH, using 296 powder and a Fed150 primer and had good results. Then I stepped my load from lower than 21.5 gr to higher, and could clearly see the groups close most at 21.5 and start to open again as I went higher. As I recall, 21.5 was giving me about 1380 fps with the 310 gr Lee boolit. If I choose to shoot more than 12 of these, I find myself reaching for my glove.

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!