RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: I must be doing something right!

Boolit Master

I must be doing something right!

I went down to my local gun shop today and an old guy was trying to sell a Marlin 336A in 30/30 and an old Iver Johnson 16 guage single barrel shotgun. They weren't interested because the stock was cracked on the Marlin and the barrel locking lug spring was broken in the old shotgun, but I was! I scored both for $100! I spent about 2 hours making a new leaf spring and tempering it to repair the old shotgun and have started repairing the stock on the Marlin. This is my first Marlin and if anyone can pass along any information as to what wear items that should be checked and any other quirks they are famous for, I'd appreciate it!

FWIW: This gun is a 336A, has about a 22 inch long barrel, buckhorn sights, does not have microgrove rifleing and has a 3/4 length magazine tube. The outside finish is worn but not severely abused, the barrel isn't pitted and the rifleing is still sharp. The old gentlemen said it was made in 1948, but I have not checked that yet.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Houndog
    Last edited by Houndog; 11-05-2011 at 09:48 PM.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have a 336A in 32 Winchester Special. The barrel should be 24" long unless cut. Good guns, handle cast really well. Mine was made in 1949, second year of production.

Boolit Master
    Go over to marlinowners.com and do some looking.

The 3/4 magazine 336A has an air about it. I passed on a nice one awhile back and it took several years to find one equally nice, but at a lot higher price. (Ah, the woes of missed scores!!) I like it ALMOST as much as my 336 Cowboy.

I have a 336 A in 35 Rem that is said to be made after 1950. It has the 24 inch barrel and 3/4mag and is a fine rifle.

DP

Boolit Master

Thanks for the response guys! I've about got the metalwork cleaned up and the stock's major splits repaired. I've been a bolt gun shooter since I first started, but I've sort of taken a liking to this old Marlin and am curious to see what it'll do.

Generous Donator

Check the firing pin and extractor for function. I usually take the bolt apart and clean it in mineral spirits before I shoot them. The older "A's" are sweet rifles as Marlin calls them. Not a lot to go wrong. I have one in 35 Rem and it will hold a 2" pattern at 100 yards all day if I do my part.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the reply Mark. I'll give the bolt a good cleaning.

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas

Go Slow

Houndog

You need to be very careful here. It seems that all the guns around here are Marlin lever actions. I think that I need to get, say, a bolt action and the next gun that comes home with me is always another lever action. I'm just saying that you need to be careful.

Wow. what a deal

Jim
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tall grass View Post
    Houndog

You need to be very careful here. It seems that all the guns around here are Marlin lever actions. I think that I need to get, say, a bolt action and the next gun that comes home with me is always another lever action. I'm just saying that you need to be careful.

Wow. what a deal

Jim
    I'm beginning to understand the old gun growing on ya! Like I said, I've been a bolt gun shooter forever including Benchrest and F class long range matches, but this thing has my curiosity up like it hasn't been in a long time. Now if I can just find a short barreled 35 Remington???????

Cheers on a great score.... I hunt for those which no one else wants and have always found them to be true GEMs after application of a little TLC.

Cracked, broken, or wobbly loose stocks make great negotiation points and are very easy fixes. If the metal is in good shape, I simply restore the wood to a correctly aged patina, being careful NOT to remove the impressions and dimples earned through the years.
    Hunting buddies are always looking to see the current cheapo bargain and are agast at the beauty and accuracy...