Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Levergun Owner Needs Tips

Boolit Buddy

First Time Levergun Owner Needs Tips UPDATE

I just purchased my first levergun and need some tips from y'all.

I hope this is a good candidate for learning about leverguns and loading centerfire.

Glenfield Model 30A which from my research is a budget version of the Marlin 336. 30-30 caliber.

Snapped a few pics for ya.

So do you have any recommendations for a first time levergun owner? First time centerfire reloader? First time 30-30 caster?

My goals for this project are:

Have a nice truck gun with a lower power optical sight.
    Cast and load my own ammo for plinking and hunting/self defense.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. And now to start my own research.

P.S. I guess I have a use for that Lyman M die I bought at the gun show now.
    Last edited by BigRix; 10-21-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

Visit my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/BigRix?feature=mhee

Boolit Grand Master
    Get a 311165 Ranch Dog mould and have fun. That is one of the best cast bullet cartridge/rifle combos ever.
    Easy to load for, cheap components, plenty accurate, and FUN.

Enjoy that gun, I sure enjoy my 336.

Nice rifle you will enjoy it.

My tip?

When pig hunting don't use the cross bolt safety and the half cock. Use only one. When you forget to take one off and the pig is running at you the pucker factor is high!

Boolit Master
    It can be addictive- be careful. Nice old piece, Midway has about all those Bubba'd screws for the same as dealer from Brownells. They also have the screw driver sets I wish all Bubba's got for Cristmas. Give the #31141 Lyman a thought. Have fun- Gtek

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    That's a nice rifle. I think it's micro groove, and predates cross bolt safeties by 30 or 40 years.
    I was only off by a little.

Boolit Buddy
    If my research is right it was made in 1976.
    I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

Visit my YouTube Channel

Boolit Master
    nice rifle, you should get yourself a williams receiver sight, and try the lee 170gr. mold. it's cheap, and it work's great! that will be a great truck gun.

Go to http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/ and sign up, then introduce yourself. Then start reading.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one like that right now it seems to enjoy driving lee 113 grain wheel weight slugs sized 311 gas checked and pan lubed over 10 grains of unique into nice groups

My tip would be to sell that gun. It is adictive. It is going to cost you a lot of money as you start buying more. Next you need a 39A, then a 45/70, then a.....

That is why I refuse to buy a single action pistol.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    My tip would be to sell that gun. It is adictive. It is going to cost you a lot of money as you start buying more. Next you need a 39A, then a 45/70, then a.....

Good point! The dreaded "Marlinitus Disease" knows no bounds and takes no prisoners!

GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post

And just where were you with that little tidbit about single-actions when I was drooling over my first one trying to decide if i really needed it as badly as I thought? and the second?... and the 10th?..... I mean, they're as bad as lever-actions. these things also multiply like rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptar View Post
    Go to http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/ and sign up, then introduce yourself. Then start reading.
    How long does it take them to approve your account so you can use the forum?

Boolit Buddy
    My approval took about an hour.

Visit my YouTube Channel

I second on the Ranch dog 311165 bullet for the lever guns. Sized .311 made mine into a real shooter. Steel chickens at 200 yards if I keep my "stuff" together. Also recommend Lee collet dies. You may need to turn the collet "spud" down a couple thousands for bullet tension. Lee factory crimp die has seemed to help too.

Boolit Man
    +2 on the Ranch Dog 311-165 mold sized .311. Also +1 on the Williams reciever sight which your rifle is drilled and tapped for. To me a scope takes something away from the handiness of a levergun. Nice truck gun by the way.
    coyotebait

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziptar View Post
    Good point! The dreaded "Marlinitus Disease" knows no bounds and takes no prisoners!

GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!
    Worse yet, Marlinitus leads to Savage Virus #99 infection too. They are not mutually exclusive!

Boolit Man
    Original Poster stated, low power optics for Glenfield truck gun.

It’s a Leupold 2.5x Compact.

My personal preference is to get a midrange (4-5”) eye relief scope and mount it just forward of the hammer on lever-action rifles. Then you don’t need a hammer spur.

For bullets, I use the Ranch Dog 311165 (mine is a NOE clone of it with grease grooves). If I remember correctly, Ranch Dog developed this bullet using our beloved 30A Glenfield.

Enjoy your rifle and be safe!
    Last edited by whopist; 10-11-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a sharp lookin' Glenfield.

My gun already has a hammer spur so that's good to go. I just found out one of my co-workers is an avid levergun guy who actually prefers Glenfields over the Marlin 336. He likes the clean lines of the front sight and puts a William's on the back. I might give that a try first.

Now I just need brass and dies and a mold and primers and powder and a sling and .......

How cheep was this gun again?

Visit my YouTube Channel

Boolit Buddy
    In terms of "loading centerfire tips" some of the best money I spent was on the Lyman Cast
    Bullet Handbook.
    The current buzz about Microgrove barrels is that will shoot cast bullets well if you use a hard alloy and size them slightly larger. I assume this means the usual .oo1" or .002" above slugged barrel diameter. Good luck.

Greg B.