WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Need 40 S&W standard loads

Boolit Master

Need 40 S&W standard loads

Hi guys,
    Since I'm stuck up in this frozen arctic wonderland, I have nothing else to do but sit and think about guns and stuff.
    I'm allready trying to develop loads for a gun I don't even have yet. I ordered a mould, dies, and a holster for it last night. It'll be at least 3 weeks before I'm even home to go pick up the gun. YUP I got it bad...
    Anyhow, Anyone know what boolit weight most fixed sight 40's are regulated to?
    I ordered a 180 TLSWC, but need to know what weight JHP's to buy for social work.
    Got any favorite powders or loads?
    Gun is a Kahr P40.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Boolit Bub
    I don't have any knowlege to share yet, but I was bitten by the 40 bug last weekend too! Mine's a Taurus PT 101 (with adjustable sights). I'll be very interested in what advice comes along.

Boolit Master
    while it started with 180, 40 smith and wesson is now shot with everything from 200 down to 135.....,155,165,175 and 180 are very common. if i recall correctly the original 10mm( the father of 40 smith and wesson) was a 180 at 1350! it was soon discovered that most police could not hit a barn with the second shot. and thus the search for a down load, then it was obvious the answer would fit in a 9mm(the mother of 40) frame.....bingo.... 40 short and weak( if compared to a 10mm).

alloy frames and slide are best kept mild(recoil and strength) while steel on steel are fun to push to the upper end for the same reasons.

while i have shot lots of matches with 9mm and 45acp most of my recent shooting was a 165 at 1100-1200 fps from a cz75.
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Grand Master

My Smith 4043 shot dead on with 165's. For the Lee t/l I shot Unique and held it down to 900 fps.

Boolit Buddy
    With my RCBS 180 gr. cast, 900 fps with Unique, Herco and AA5 are accuracy winners in my CZ75BSA.