Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do i ship this?

Boolit Master

If the USPS doesn't want to handle 60 lb packages the size of a dictionary or two VHS tapes, they shouldn't advertise "if it fits, it ships" so effectively. I suppose it would be a courtsy to write "Heavy" on the outside in a high contrast color...

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Shipped 1 to Ak last week w/1/4" plywood liners on all 6 sides packed w/news print and well taped. The fellow at the counter retaped it w/the priority tape 68lbs 11.6 oz.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Shipped 1 to Ak last week w/1/4" plywood liners on all 6 sides packed w/news print and well taped. The fellow at the counter retaped it w/the priority tape 68lbs 11.6 oz.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

In Remembrance

WHen I do the double box, I make the inner box up very tight, and the outer box very loose. Then, I "bump" the four lower corners of the inner box so that they get pushed inwards. That helps with getting the inner box to slide inside the outer box more easily.

From there it's a matter of adding some additional sliced pieces of flat rate box to add 3-4 layers of corrugated on all sides, and some newspaper cushioning to keep ingots from moving around.

I've never had to buy or cut plywood to make inner parts.
    Have shipped a couple of tons (literally) that way, and never had an ingot fall out.

Tape the heck out of the outside of the final box.

Get a free on-line USPS.com account, and save money by printing your own shipping labels with flat rate postage. You also get free tracking number, which you otherwise have to pay extra for at the counter.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by splashout101 View Post
    I recently purchased 60 lbs, It arrived in a if it ships box, wrapped in news paper and placed in a larger if it fits it ships box, postal lady was not to happy with it.
    I just bought 50 lbs from eBay, when I got it, the box was ripped and it was full of 12 pieces of cardboard. I thought I was scammed, but I realized that the carboard was packing ABOVE the ingots, then the box ripped and all the ingots escaped. USPS didn't even mark it as damaged, even though three corners were ripped. My wife, not knowing what was supposed to be in it, signed for it anyway.

Luckily, the seller resent new lead, but in the same manner.

I think a good heavy plastic bag is a bare minimum.

since it's lead, you could probably even drill each ingot and bolt it to a piece of wood, right?

Boolit Master
    Got a box from a member in a trade and he put a plastic container in the MFRB and stacked the lead in then filled it with foam and taped the MFRB, think you could have dropped it from the back of a truck and it would have survived.
    Frank G.

Glad I stumbled onto this post. I'm looking to sell some ingots and was wondering how to package. It sounds like just tape the dickens out of it and make sure it's packed tightly enough to not get any movement. With 50 ingots in a medium flat rate box, there's plenty of room left, that's for sure.

Good to know.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master

I noticed that Richard Corbin puts 2- 25 lb reels of lead wire in a plastic bag, puts the bag in a flat rate box, and then squirts expandable foam insulation to completely fill the box.. Tape the box up good and it arrives in great condition.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    I noticed that Richard Corbin puts 2- 25 lb reels of lead wire in a plastic bag, puts the bag in a flat rate box, and then squirts expandable foam insulation to completely fill the box.. Tape the box up good and it arrives in great condition.

Bob
    If you ship in significant quantity, this is probably the best practice -- making sure the foam forms a layer on all sides of the lead bag, and leaving the bag unsealed so the expanding foam can push the air out, you'd tie off the bag and cut excess foam back to the box after the foam sets, then close the box and off it goes.

It'll be a little more work for the recipient to unpack, but that beats having it sling all over the inside of a postal facility and the box arrive empty...