MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: re chamber a 22 lr cylinder to 22 mag ?

Boolit Buddy

re chamber a 22 lr cylinder to 22 mag ?

After a long search, I found a new cylinder for my smith wesson model 63. It is caliber 22 lr.

I want to re chamber it to 22 mag to make a convertable gun. 22lr/22mag.

I need to know how, I no longer have a lathe.

1. Do I need to reem out the chamber to a size, before to use the 22 mag reamer ? Or can I just go right in with the chambering reamer ?

2. Can I do the job in a bench vice, with a tap handle, and good cutting oil ?

3. what about head space ? Can I just ream the chambers to flush, like the 22lr cylinder ?

4. can anyone recommend a gun****h who is qualifyed ?

I'd really like to do the job myself, I just do not know quite how to get started with it.

Thanks

If you gave the dimensions of the reamer I could answer better. The chamber mouths want to be .225" or something close to that, so reaming the whole chamber to .225 probly wouldn't be a bad idea. BUT - you might wanna measure your reamer pilot and see what size that is first! After the holes are the right size for the reamer pilot, then just ream away.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

You might have to fit the cylinder to the gun first.

Boolit Grand Master

The chamber can be reamed by hand if you go slow and carefull. You will need a 22 Mag chambering finish reamer from Brownell's and a go and no go gauge. You are just taking the chamber up a little in dimension so it's not a major task. If you want you can use a 4 jaw chuck to center the chambers one at a time to a ten thousands of an inch in the lathe and ream a 28 rpm but from expirience I doubt you will see any difference in accuracy from just hand reaming the chambers.