MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Movie Popcorn

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Movie Popcorn

We have a plastic tub we can fill at the movie theater for $2.50

The wife puts it in 2-1gal zip locks bags. She heats just before we eat it in the oven. She heats it 200 degrees for 4 min. We have gone 10 days before we finished it. It still taste great.

So how does one make Movie popcorn at home?

WE have had no luck with this so far
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

Ya have to pop it in used projector oil. Thats why it's only available at the theater.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I think the theater popcorn gets coconut oil. I have developed a taste for popcorn with olive oil, and a bit of salt.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

They use flavored oil mix to pop it.
    Ric is right about coconut oil in the mix.
    The flavoring is the secret to the Movie popcorn.
    You may be able to get it at restraunt supply stores....dale

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Thank you

Because of the help here. I found this

http://www.amazon.com/Paragon-Coconu.../dp/B002YLI9E2

One guys opinion.

I have identified 3 critical parts to the movie theatre popcorn you love. I will break it down for you:

1- Paragon Coconut Popping Oil = Provides the 'nutty/toasted' flavor, the odor that permeates the local cinema, and yellow hue to the popped corn
    2- Flavacol = The pseudo-buttery flavor and ultra-fine salt of good cinema popcorn.
    3- *Butter-flavored topping = that goo you get when you ask for "extra 'butter' " at the concessions counter.

I hesitated buying this at first ... thinking "$15 ... is it really worth it?" I procrastinated buying Flavacol because it seemed silly that shipping cost more than the product itself. Well, now after 1.5 years I still haven't used up either product and spent less than $30 total for popcorn that is absolutely incredible.

*IMPORTANT* - I read a review that stated the purchaser was dissatisfied because it wasn't 100% Coconut oil. The label on the back says "76 (degree symbol)" coconut oil plus beta carotene NOT "76% Coconut oil" . It's 100% Coconut Oil mixed with beta carotene (for yellow color). The "76 (degree symbol)" refers to the melting temperature of the coconut oil. [I had it sitting on the counter when it was 80 degrees indoors and it started to melt ... later that same evening when the A/C brought the house to 74 degrees for a couple of hours ... it began solidifying again. Neat.]

This popcorn oil is a solid at room temperature* (less than 76F) and provides NO butter flavor. It does not require refrigeration once opened. It DOES provide the 'missing ingredient' between cinema popcorn an your homemade popcorn. Been using some form of vegetable-oil haven't you? It JUST doesn't taste correct, right? Add about a heaping spoonful of this 'popping oil' (solid, remember) to a batch of stove-top popcorn and you're done. (I have tried 'gourmet' popcorns, white popcorn, etc ... but have found that plane-jane barebones no-frills yellow popcorn from your local store actually tastes best.)

If you want 100% theatre-like popcorn ... you'll have to substitute #3> above with the 'butter-flavored topping' of your choice. But, to be honest, that goo kind of turns my stomach. The butter does soften the popcorn slightly (there's a little water in the butter after all) but it's still awesome.

I prepare my popcorn using a stovetop hand-crank popcorn popper, add a heaping spoonful of the 'oil' (remember, solid at room temperature) and 3/4 tsp of flavacol. Top with 3 tbs of butter melted in the microwave and you're done. Bliss. Heaven. It's soooooooo good.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    They use flavored oil mix to pop it.
    Ric is right about coconut oil in the mix.
    The flavoring is the secret to the Movie popcorn.
    You may be able to get it at restraunt supply stores....dale
    Bulk food stores have it as well.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

get yourself a whirley pop and pop that corn on the stove. That will do more for your popcorn than you could believe. couple it with good corn and a good oil and you too can have the best.

also nothing wrong with using real butter on your popcorn. Think of it as keeping the world in balance! light no cal popcorn coupled with real butter, you get to keep the world in balance.

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas

Atom Pop

I use an Atom Popper(TM). It looks like a straight sided wok. You can find them on the web, made in Quinter Kansas where Swift bullets are located. Has the right draft so that you don't have to stir the popcorn. I like to use peanut oil and season with just fine salt.

Jim
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...

Boolit Buddy
    I get my oil and salt at the Ace Hardware in Sheridan. They have a popper at the door and give away small bags of popped corn. Ask a store owner if they will sell you a gallon of oil and a quart of salt. The brand of oil is POP-n-LITE, and the name of the salt is Flavacal. Taste just like you got it at the picture show.

Jerry

Perma-Banned

Just sayin, wouldn't it be less cramped on the sofa than in the stove? Not to mention cooler.

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Master
    We go through a LOT of popcorn at our house. My wife got a 35 lb. bag for her Birthday in the last half of June, and it will be gone before Christmas. This doesn't include what popcorn we had on hand before we took her to the popcorn plant down the road to pick up her surprise present. Here is a link to preferred popcorn:

https://www.preferredpopcorn.com/

and an article in the local paper:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110425/MONEY/704259973