WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 357 handi rifle hot 38 loads?

Boolit Mold

357 handi rifle hot 38 loads?

I just got a new handi rifle in 357 mag. After reading here, it will eventually get rechambered to 357 max.

I know this question has probably been beat to death, but I cant find any info for certain* My question is about reloading some stout 38 spl loads. I have thousands of 38 spl casings. I am casting Lee tl 158 gr swc. I have a large amount of clays universal, red dot and 700x.* I don't own any 38 specials and I don't have any friends that have any, so I don't have to worry about these finding there way into a 38 pistol. And if I load them they will all get shot up, so there won't be any laying around after I'm gone.* *

I guess my question is how hot can I load these for the handi rifle with the powder I have on hand?

Thanks in advance, Andy

Boolit Grand Master

I'd start with some +P .38 loads with Universal and go up from there if I wasn't satisfied with the results. Unless you've got a good boolit to bore fit, you'll prolly get leading at +P velocities. From what I've read, you can go up to 357. Mag. loadings in .38 Special cases, but be very careful 'cause of the reduced capacity of the .38 case will give higher pressurers than listed with .357 brass...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

In exceeding 38 Special loads it might be prudent to use the 357 Mag. overal cartridge length of 1.59 inches. That would give you the same combustion chanber in the case that the 357 Mag has and reduces the chance of upexpected jumps in pressure. Make up a dummy using your boolit and see if the crimp would be on lead or in the middle of a lube groove. If the result is not good, you could change to Lyman 358156 which has two crimp grooves. use the top crimp groove for 38 Spec. and the bottom crimp groove for "HOT" 38 Specials. In no case exceed 357 Mag. maximums. You might also change to a more appropriate powder such as 2400.

Lyman 46 Edition has 357 Mag data for bullet 358156 as follows:
    Powder 2400
    Starting load 10.6 grains 999 fps 24,900 Pressure CUP
    Max load 14.0 grains 1,299 fps 41,900 Pressure CUP

In a Handi-Rifle I'd just fill it to the bottom of the bullet with 2400. You'll like the results.

Boolit Buddy
    When you say 'Clays Universal', do you mean Clays or Universal?

I like .38 spl +p and standard .38 spl loads in my Handi. It seems to shoot either brass equally well.
    I won't load beyond +p in special brass.
    Universal is a great powder in stiff .38 loads.

Boolit Mold
    Ok, did a bunch of reloading today. I started out with 4.0 gr of 700x and loaded 4 rounds. I then went outside and test fired the four rounds, checking for signs of over pressure. I continued to do this in .2 gr increments. I worked my way all the way up to 5.4 gr. That's where I think I'm going to stop. I know this is way over published data and no one else should use this load unless they work their way up to it. The cases and primers never showed any signs of over pressure. I even used the same four cases throughout the testing. So that means each case was reloaded eight times. No splits, no loose primer pockets, no measurable case lengthening, and the primers weren't even flattened. So I just loaded 50 rounds with 5.4 gr and now I'm going to go test them for accuracy and see if I need to back off the charge any.

Thanks for all the input, Andy

Boolit Master
    As stated above you can seat the bullet long and you dont need to worry about the crimp grove. Single shoots dont need crimping if you have good case tension.Just set your crimp die to tuck the flare into the bullet being careful not to over do it and loosen the case tension.

I have not worked with 38 cases but do load 160 gr LBTs to 1800fps easily with very good accuracy.

Moderator Emeritus

I rechambered my handi to 357 Max. Both now and before I get the best accuracy by far with longer brass. 38 spls do not group as well as the same loads in 357 max brass.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Awkiii

My experience tells me that if you want accuracy from a PB'd cast bullet from a rifle length barrel in .357 (or any other pistol caliber for that matter) that standard .38 SPL loads will probably give better accuracy than heavily loaded .38s, especially with the Lee TL bullet. I've found best accuracy with that very bullet out of 20" rifles to be in the 1050 fps range. Standard loads of powders in the Bullseye to Unique (includes the powders you listed) burning range will do just fine.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    In my .357 Maximum handi rifle my most accurate loads have been with a H&G wadcutter.

The .38 special - 2.7 grs bullseye, .357 magnum - 4.0 grs bullseye, .357 Max - 4.5 grs bullseye. Some of the best squirrel and general small game loads I have ever found. With a 2-1/2 x 8 power scope they will shoot 3/4" to 1" groups at 25 yards and are around 1-1/2" at 40 yds. Nothing to brag about, not even what good .22 long rifle guns will do, but extremely deadly when that .38 wadcutter punches a clean hole through something.

Steve