RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic Turret Press

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Classic Turret Press

Through the years I have really grown tired of screwing dies in and out, in and out, in and out of single hole presses.

For me, this is over now, THANK THE GOOD LORD !

With the Lee , 4 hole, Classic Turret system, you can put your dies into $9.00 turrets ( see link below in # 4 ) and lock them down and never have to remove them again. You can change turret heads in less than 15 seconds. In the old days, changing from one caliber to another with a single hole press was very time consuming. Another added advantage is with the 4th hole, you can crimp in a separate operation if you're loading pistol. If loading cast bullets in rifle calibers, you've got that extra hole for a neck sizing die and / or a Lyman M die to open the neck up for cast bullets. Again, the beauty of all this is you can lock your dies down and NEVER have to remove them again.

The more I use this press the more I like it.

Ben

I know - - the question is......" but will it load accurate ammo ? "...the answer is YES !

This photo ( below ) is a group that I've fired at 50 yds. , 5 shots with my 7 X 57 Mauser.

Last edited by Ben; 07-26-2011 at 08:45 PM.

I just ordered one last night from Natchez. Can't wait for it to show up!

You are absolutely correct about the press being the best value on the market today. I have one and recently ordered a second one. One I have committed to a portable reloading set up that I drag to the range. The second one will go back on the bench. All I will have to do is swap out turrets from one press to the other.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Grand Master
    On Lee's site, they have extra turrets for $9.00 right now. They are 2nd's , I ordered some, they work just fine.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Turret...ry-Second.html

Ben

Boolit Master
    Guys,

Why buy seconds. Get C&R License and buy them 25% off from Grafs or Midway. Brownells gives discount to C&R license holders too.

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess I mentioned that for those of us who don't have a C & R................

Boolit Master
    I jumped on the Lee Classic Turret bandwagon three years ago and have not regretted the investment one second!!!

VIVA Lee's Classic Turret!!!!

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master
    Yup, they are a terrific press for the money. I even use mine for swaging jacketed bullets.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't plan on getting rid of my old single hole Lyman Orange Crusher. I'll hold onto it for case forming etc. However, most all of my pistol and rifle loading has shifted to the Lee Classic 4 hole Turret.
    Last edited by Ben; 06-14-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    C&R: its a good deal. You can buy press and turrets at quite a savings.

I saved $165 on my Dillon 650 press. The Lee turret is really a honey of a press and

its flat convenient to use and change calibers. Oh... and change of turrets is not going to

cost you a car payment either. $80 to change to 9mm in my Dillon 650 and that is insane.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the old 3 hole aluminum turret press that is getting pretty worn.
    Can you use the auto index with the rifle calibers?

I loaded up some 223 in my turret press with the pro disk measure and H4895 as a test. I weighed each charge, but left them as they dropped, about .1 to .2 gr variance. the groups opened up from less than .2" at 100 yards to less than .3" at 100 yards. Quess I can live with that.

I tried some TAC powder and it shoots real well so am going to load that on the turret as a test.

I want to do the same with my other rifle calibers so am interested in how the Classic turret does for them. might be a birthday or Christmas present for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    leadman:

Q- -

Can you use the auto index with the rifle calibers?

A - -

I use the auto index feature with the Lee Classic Turret press loading the 30 - 06 Springfield all the time !

The auto - index feature works just as well with the 30 -06 as it does with the 38 Spec.
    Last edited by Ben; 06-14-2011 at 10:28 PM.

What is a C&R?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Grand Master

Curio and Relic Gun Collector federal license.

Ben - the only thing I don't like is the mickey mouse priming system. Wow, scatters about
    1/5th of them on the floor. Stopped using it and run mine like a single station press, but save
    time on setup, as you stated.

I use it for my "less quantity" loading. Dillon 550s for high quantity, and T-7 Redding for
    medium quantity, and the Lee turret for medium and lower. right now the biggest issue is
    that it is mounted on the clogged up end of my bench, so it gets used less.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Federal Firearms License 03 (FFL03)/ C&R License allows you to become a licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R License) firearms.

The FFL03/C&R License is useful for anyone who is interested in purchasing surplus / military surplus rifles and/or pistols. The fee for the C&R is $30 for three years. Your benefit is that it allows you to purchase this type of weapon without doing an FFL transfer.

The C&R enables you to acquire approved firearms and weapons through state lines, transfer said weapons amongst licensed individuals, and order these weapons through mail (FedEx or UPS).

Boolit Grand Master
    Bill :

I didn't like the looks of the mickey mouse priming system either, I choose not to even try it. I can't say if it will work or not. I have a priming system that is 101% fool proof and use that for my priming.

I'm happy with mine.

Ben

Boolit Master
    I am a die in the wool Dillon, Rcbs and Co Ax guy. I own all of them. I want to raise my hand and fire a star cluster on the Lee Turret. The Lee makes great pistol ammo. I don't consider it optimum to expect it to make rifle ammo but I know folks that do with it and do it very well. The priming system is awkward and I would not mess with it. I was given a older model Lee Turret and began to play with it for pistol reloading. Its quite effective and very convenient and will provide good service. There is a lot of convenience in the Lee turret system. I was quite surprised by the Lee Turret and my bias was hard to overcome as I was closed minded on the other higher end presses. This old Lee Turret is now my 9mm reloading press because it makes great 9mm ammo , so much so that I am considering selling the press and getting the new more robust classic Lee Turret. No, I won't buy the new press for any of the priming features as I hand prime on a RCBS priming tool mounted on the bench. I would buy it for convenience and ability to make great pistol ammo. This press is a basic pick up truck, its not a dump truck or a 18 wheeler. Adjust your cargo needs accordingly. Thus, you won't be case forming nor FL sizing 416 Rigby on the Lee Turret but it should suffice for basis reloading tasks and serve you well. I have no issue with it on my bench with the other expensive press systems. The Lee has advantages beyond mere price point. For the normal reloader and shooter, it does just fine. I know one match shooter who deactivated his index feature and uses the press like a single stage for his match loads of 30 caliber. His results with loads is awesome. So.....good components, good reloading techniques, good weapon and a Lee Turret will give match grade ammo and match grade results.

Of course this brings my closing point: a badly made round of ammo costs the same as a match grade round of ammo. Guy on the handle of the press is the weak link !

Boolit Grand Master
    milprileb :

Let's not confuse your old aluminum 3 hole turret press with the NEW Lee Classic turret press ( which is what my post here is all about ). They can't be compared. Neither can a Piper Cub be compared to an FA-18 Hornet.

The old aluminum 3 hole was basically a pistol reloader ( although some reloaders have had good success with the 223 and similar rifle cartridges ). While the old orig. 3 hole turret press was a good press for the money ( as long as it was used for it's intended purpose ) it isn't in the league with the New Lee Classic Turret Press.

The New Lee Classic Turret is a totally different creature.

Here is the old aluminum turret press:

Here is the new all steel Lee Classic Turret Press ;

Last edited by Ben; 06-15-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Lee

A BIG +1 on your posting Ben. I am and will remain a Die Hard Dillon press person. I will however also continue to use this Lee for certain jobs as it is a very nice piece of equipment. The two weak spots are the priming system and the small square plastic piece that controls the rotating of the turret. It seems that the material could be made of a better material that is not so prone to stripping at the wrong time. Other than that it is on and will remain in it's place on the bench.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    A BIG +1 on your posting Ben. I am and will remain a Die Hard Dillon press person. I will however also continue to use this Lee for certain jobs as it is a very nice piece of equipment. The two weak spots are the priming system and the small square plastic piece that controls the rotating of the turret. It seems that the material could be made of a better material that is not so prone to stripping at the wrong time. Other than that it is on and will remain in it's place on the bench.
    So true..........When I ordered my Lee Classic Turret Press , I went ahead and got 4 of the square nylon rachets and put them in my parts drawer. I'm told if you keep the indexing rod lubed, they will last a very long time ?

Like I said, I have no real use for their priming system.

Ben