Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martini?

Martini?

Hello Folks,

After being interested in owning a Martini for a long time, I'm now looking at the guns sold by Atlanta Cutlery ( http://www.atlantacutlery.com/ ). They sell "untouched" guns that were removed from storage of over 100 years, and others that appear to have been cleaned.

Have any of you had experience with this company, or purchased any of these guns?

Thanks, Tom

In Remembrance

I have bought two of the "cleaned" Martinis, a MkII and a MarkIV. Both were a little gunked up but in very good condition. The bores in particular were very good. I was very happy with my purchase. I did pay a bit extra for "hand picked." If you can actually go to their warehouse in Atlanta you can insure your rifle meets your expectations.

Boolit Master

Same as those sold by Int'l Military Antiques and SPG

If you mean the $189 Gahendra arsenal rifles, I bought two and had a good experience. Bought mine through Sportsman's Guide, they're def the same ones being sold by IMA, because they were dropped shipped not from SPGs ZIP but from IMAs.
    If you're a member of Sportsman's Guide buyers club, you can buy them for 10% off list price, which basically covers shipping. Some may be missing bits, but mine were largely complete and I'm very happy with them. Once I'm done selling and moving, I'll be finishing and shooting my Martini Henry Gahendra.
    Here is a link to my restoration: http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/...;hl=bulldogger

Bulldogger

Hi Bulldogger,

Your project looks very successful, and I'm encouraged to give it a go myself. Assuming I would have to slug the bore and have a mould made, are the Gahendra Martini's chambered in 577/450? I see Bell and Jamison brass advertised for about $6.50 per cartridge case. Can this case be formed from anything else (probably not).

Have you shot your gun yet? How does it shoot?

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master

havent shot it

Or slugged the bore, no sorry. I'll keep that project thread updated as I make progress. I'm selling my house and moving these next 2 months, it's the first projeect I'll do as soon as I'm unpacked. Relining a cimarron plinkerton after that. Then ? We'll see
    Bdgr

Boolit Master

I would go for the real MH instead of the Gahendra, they are stronger. Like Curator I went with the cleaned hand picked and while still needing some cleaning it is a great rifle. If you get an "as is" rifle it may have parts missing and what if you can't get those parts right away.
    The brass can be formed from the Magtec 24 gauge brass shot shells. The Gahendras barrels are typically .458 where the MK II MHs are .468 tapering to .464. The MKIV is up around .470. Here is a group from my rifle at 100yds with BP.

Bob
    Last edited by Boz330; 11-27-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

I agree with Boz; go for the true MH. Parts for the Gehendra may not be so easy to replace.

Boolit Man
    But then I bought one of those untouched martini's. Had to destroy the buttstock to get it off and use a PIPE WRENCH to remove the stock bolt.
    I suppose some folks get lucky, but I think my "luck" went sour. The bore is usable. Destroyed one barrel band removing it. Screw was just NOT going to move after soaking for a week in various solvents. Thats the only Martini I bought from IMA, the others came from Canada and other sources. The accessories I bought from them are OK

Boolit Master

Can't completely disagree about buying a "real" M-H

The Gehandras are "gunsmith specials" I have to admit. But I'm a budding hobbyist in gunsmithing. I've made a few screws to replace worn ones, I had to repair some wood, and I've got a hammer to repair (broke off the spring catch lever, whatever it's called).
    Kroil worked wonders, that and patience. If I felt the urge, I'd buy some again, they do well enough.

The IMA (or wherever you order them through, if it's untouched Nepalese, it's IMA's and will be drop shipped) untouched Gahendras are NOT clean up and shoot grade. No chance. They are "spend some time and elbow grease on, along with a little yankee ingenuity, and you'll get a nice gun" grade.

BDGR

Boolit Grand Master

I was reading an old Handloader last night and stopped at the article on loading and forming brass for the 577-450. That is why this thread caught my attention. There is quite a bit of load data if you are interested PM me.

I think it is great seeing these old rifles being brought back to life.

Today at the range 2 guys were firing new black rifles of different makes, but when I brought out my original Rolling block they had to come over and admire it. These old guns have soul and character.

Boolit Bub
    I purchase an unmarked untouched MKII M-H from IMA a couple of years ago I had fun cleaning it up and I was pleased with the overall condition. With your first M-H the actual purchase of the rifle is the cheap part. Brass, dies and a mould are expensive. The dies won't work on all presses due to size. However once you are set up it is a load of fun. I am getting ready to make a tribe of plywood Zulus for a camp out later this summer. Nothing quite like sitting around the camp fire enjoying a couple of pints, then spying a Zulu hiding in the bush. You set your pint down, tilt the brim of your pith helmet up and take aim. Once dispatched you return to your still chilled pint and the rudely interrupted conversation. Moments later your mate spys another. The whiteman's burden and all.

Boolit Master
    Not pointing any fingers, but a reminder might be appropriate that firearms, reloading and alcohol definitely do not mix.

Boolit Man

I have 2 Gehendras, 1 MK 2 Martini Henry and a MK 4 Martini Henry, All were the Untouched Rifles. I had a Lot of Fun Cleaning them All up !!! They Turned Out Very Nice. Fun to Shoot Too !!! All from Atlanta Cutlery. Cases for the 450/577 Cartridge can be formed from 24 Gauge Shotgun Brass. Go to You Tube, There are Videos on the Subject.

The land where no range is longer than 200yd
    I have a MK IV from IMA-usa.com (part of the same cache). The missus bought it for me earlier this year and it is an incredible rifle. I have only fired it about 80 times since then but look forward to putting the gun right (some woodwook needs to be done) and seeing if I can get it to print inside of a dinner plate at 100 yards.

I have not bought an untouched gun from the Nepal Cache, but I have seen plenty of success stories regarding the untouched guns. Go and check the surplus rifle forums for a guy named Norm Sutton, he has documented his restoration/cleanup of more than a few rifles.

I will happily share my load data and techniques with anyone willing to listen. The .577/.450 is a little different than the BP cartridges that we came to use in the US of A.

Boolit Man

Get Yourself, A Short Lever or Long Lever Martini Henry from Atlanta Cutlery, You will not be Sorry. Make it a Untouched, and have Fun Cleaning it All up Too !

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnjockey View Post
    I am getting ready to make a tribe of plywood Zulus for a camp out later this summer. Nothing quite like sitting around the camp fire enjoying a couple of pints, then spying a Zulu hiding in the bush. You set your pint down, tilt the brim of your pith helmet up and take aim. Once dispatched you return to your still chilled pint and the rudely interrupted conversation. Moments later your mate spys another. The whiteman's burden and all.
    Seriously? Wow.

Boolit Buddy
    J&G has the ammo 450/577 think I paid $48.00 for a box of 20 big shell

Boolit Man
    Then there is the price of the dies

Oh by the way .45-70 bullets are undersized, so you will also need the RCBS mould

There is lots of good info also on the Yuku British Militaria forums. Google it to find more.

I have a Nepalese Gahendra, picked it up in a trade some time back. It actually shoots pretty well with a stout load of black powder and a .459 diameter soft lead 500 grain Lee bullet. It had a broken hammer/firing pin when I got it, took some garage engineering (with a 6d nail) to fix it. Now it shoots fine.

I think the AC and IMA intouched guns are comparable. I have a AC Snider that turned out very well with little (only slight understatement) more than a good cleaning and moderate stock work. This Snider's bore was near perfect. I was able to go to the AC warehouse and pick out my own rifle, but the condition of the bore may have been luck as it was so dirty when I selected it that I was just hoping it was OK. For what it's worth, my "guide" said almost all of the Sniders have good bores. His words were true for me.

The IMA Gahendra was (and is) a challenge, but the difficulty has nothing to do with the importer. Gahendra's are not in that great shape, Francottes I hear are even worse. These rifles will require lots of patience to get them shooting again. They definitely show Nepal home workshop quality in some areas. Some things are pretty good, like the barrel/bore, receiver and breechblock, but many of the screws are very crude and will have to be remade.

I highly recommend two other websites to assist in restoring old Martinis:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...ni-Henry-Forum
    and
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/articles...enry/index.asp

I just reassembled my project rifle tonight with a new finishing nail firing pin, after 2 attempts with reworked drill bits failed. They were too brittle. I hope to work uo loads in the coming week. My bore slugs .464 with soft lead, but the Lee 405 gr hollow base seems perfect.