Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Another Star sizer with Air Clyinder

Star sizer with Air pressure rather than an Electric Motor

Been thinking, planning and talking about how to set up the Magna Star Sizer with air.instead of an Electric motor. Here is a working picture of my set up . I need to put a panel on to cover up air tubes and then I will make a video and post, if I can figure out how to get AV file from my camera to photo bucket. Tired been repairing sprinkler system and just got back from road trip.
    Parts all commerial available except for the handle that lathesmith threaded to 5/16-24
    1.Push in 1/8 and1/4 fittings,
    2.Air clyinder, i used a 1 1/16 with 10 inch stroke .think 6 or 8 would work but what i have works.
    3&4 yoke and rod end ---to make a u-joint make sure yoke wide enought to accept width of the rod end.
    5. I used 2 flow control meter OUT with knob adj. w/ push-quick fttng
    I had a spare pressure regulator so I stuck it on the up stroke, less than five pounds of air pressures required
    6. got a little carried away on the lever valve. purchased for safety reasons a 4-way, 3-position momentary lever valve, closed center This is just a lillte extra to keep my one good hand on the lever not under the punch, As you will see in the video when i post on U tube, i only use my left hand . Right hand mext to usuless.
    7. Think the last part was a manifold to divide up the air flow. Hope i got it all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails u-joint.jpg   lever.jpg   manifold.jpg   how i replaced handle.jpg   how i replaced handle 2.jpg  

clippard set up.jpg  
    Last edited by tackstrp; 06-05-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: change pictures
    We dont need no stinking store brought bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    It’s looking good. What air pressure are you using on the down stroke?
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

60 # but the flow control meter limits the speed. sure i could do less # and open up the flow control. just need more experience using and tweakiing

I wanted to say, a much cheaper toggle valve can be used, while I liked the manifold set up, others may replace with a series of connections. Found the tape seal that came preinstalled would leak. If you try to copy what I did look at my other post with pictures of individual parts. Also while a shorter stroke may be possible I am guessing that duplcating the action of the handle length decreases ths amount of air pressure. I am just guessing on that point. Accountant not an Engineer

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Star

Tackstrip, You might be over doing it a bit. I used my first Star in 1970. When I say that ,it is in no way meant to put down on your efforts to build something to help others. The sizing and lubing of bullets does at times require you to run pressures as high as 90 PSI. and your current setup will not allow that. The Star may be run with just a female air connector and air gauge. You may also just run a air cylinder that holds about 130 pounds of air with no air compressor. The Star only uses the pressure and not the air, so if all connections are tight you may use the same tank of air for months. I have been using the same air tank for over 5 months with no air loss. I am working at 85 psi as I have large deep lube grooves to fill. It is the KISS method. All that is needed is the following,
    Air tank that is 5-7 gallons
    Male or female connector to air tank
    Hose
    Male or female connector to Star
    Teflon tape for all fittings
    Ready to use as soon as tank is filled
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Maybe my titlle is not clear, Should read Air pressure rather than an electirc motor. Not sure you and I are looking at how to lift the handle, put in a bullet to be sized, lower the handle and repeat the process,with out losing a finger. If you are only talking about the air lube, what you say is true. You lost me . I am automating lifting and lower the handle / lever for the sizer. Sure other ways to do the same Job . A small spring sold on ebay for $4 will lift the handle, however to lower the handle some force is required if sizing a bullet.

Boolit Mold
    When i was first starting to plan using a motor to do my work. I modified a socket and took my torque wrench and sized the biggest boolits i cast. it took a little over 20 foot pounds of force to cycle my Star handle on the down stroke.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

air cylinder

I see what you are doing after looking at the picture setup and misunderstood the posting after reading it the first time. If the pics were there then, they did not show on my PC. I see that we were talking apples and oranges and I am sorry for the posting. It does seem to me that you are wanting the entire process to work with little or no human contact. Good luck and I hope your hard work pays off for you.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Get a boolit feeder and keep your fingers out of the way of the boolit punch. It is an accident waiting to happen.. Been there done that.....Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Tackstrp....in your case, with only one good hand, this is a fairly safe operation.....the issue may change if someone else uses your setup, with one hand feeding boolits, and the other running the lever. You can see how an un-coordinated moment could cause someone to lose a finger. I've pinched my finger a couple of times just using the hand lever!

Great looking setup by the way.
    NRA Life Member

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed that Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, where the Governments are afraid to trust their people with arms." - James Madison.

Tackstrp, I like it mate!

Very clever setup indeed.

Going to have to try something like that myself, I like the manifold idea. Are you able to link the air to the piston assembly as well?

I am thinking of having a manifold with 3-4 connectors, to provide air pressure to the lube piston and also operate the handle for up and down sizing.

Great stuff!

Mike

Yes on the manifold question . sent you an email, hope you got it . had more details of my change for the valve. http://www.clippard.com/downloads/ge...0Actuators.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by 63 Shiloh View Post
    Tackstrp, I like it mate!

Very clever setup indeed.

Going to have to try something like that myself, I like the manifold idea. Are you able to link the air to the piston assembly as well?

I am thinking of having a manifold with 3-4 connectors, to provide air pressure to the lube piston and also operate the handle for up and down sizing.

Great stuff!

Mike

rather than the manifold you can use a threaded tee connector. the air for the up and down stroke is split at the 4 way valve. see previous post.

replacement for the manifold http://www.clippard.com/store/displa...u=pq-yc08p-pkg

Video would be awesome if you have the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by thehouseproduct View Post
    Video would be awesome if you have the equipment.
    see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow1HEZO72Ow . terrible video . first time ever attempted to make a video. replaced the toggle valve with a much cheaper push button.. Putting the finishing touches on my automated lee budge buster . Works slicker than snot. Need to add couple needle valves to slow it down. Down and up stroke so fast just now hard to see the movement. Will post pictures in a few days. Have not gotten the Hornday LNL alignment just rigth. Still working with on that projects. Hope I can figure it out oh well fun trying.

Quote Originally Posted by tackstrp View Post
    Yes on the manifold question . sent you an email, hope you got it . had more details of my change for the valve. http://www.clippard.com/downloads/ge...0Actuators.pdf
    Hi tackstrp,

Mate I did not get the email, I checked out my settings and realised I still had my 'pre divorce' email account.

My new one is: mikerollyAThotmailDOTcom

I have decided to get a new smaller air tank and replace the compressor that I am currently using.

Once I get the new air tank, I will give your method a try, with a few tweaks of my own.

Thinking if us here in CB can work out a fully powered air system for lube, stroke and a flash new designed boolit feeder. It would be a very speccy set up indeed!

Thinking of using a boolit feeding system similar to Dillon's case feeding arm, the one that works using a spring and takes the calibre specific plastic flanged tube.

Hmm, possibilities.

Mike

You don't need a bullet collator for the sizer. Just hand feed the tube on a bullet feeder. Having power on the Star will leave both hands free to feed bullets. I can almost keep up hand feeding my Lube Master and it will run a box of 500 bullets in five minutes with the collator. That’s if the collator doesn’t jam up which it regularly does. Some bullets collate very well while others are a PITA. Right now I’m set up on 45-200-rnfp. Those things are almost round balls and love to flip upside down . I just hand feed them through to save myself the frustration. Going through a 2 gallon paint bucket full of those is mind numbing. With a Star about the time you start fantasizing of the day you finaly reach Valhalla your Star will run out of lube.