RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: IMR 4227 - need help...

Boolit Man

Question IMR 4227 - need help...

Hi All...I have read that IMR4227 being a single base powder burns cooler than other powders such as double base 2400 and the various ball powders...and 4227will show less wear and less gas cutting over the long run....

Can anyone give me starting loads for 357 Mag. (H&G #51 160gr.) 41 Mag.(H&G #258 220gr.) and 44 Mag. (H&G #503 250gr.) using these tradional KEITH bullets with IMR 4227..??? Am not looking for barnburner speeds....I have a chronograph and would like to keep these speeds in the 1100 to 1300fps MAX range....
    1200fps for all three would be fine.... Seventy five yards is MY MAX. distance for hunting...Whitetails and black bear...and most shots are inside 50 yds........

What say ye learned gentlemen..???

Thanks to all...

Pete

Le Loup Solitaire

Imr 4227

Of the ones that you have listed, I use 4227 with H&G #503 in my 44 Mags. I use 17 grains which originally is a 44 special loading. It is very accurate at 25 and 50 yds. It is reasonably stout , but doesn't beat on me and I am able to work with it for a few hours without getting overly fatigued. I don't have a chrony so don't know the velo, but I'm sure that it is within your indicated requirements. If you want to hunt with this combo you can push the loading up to 22-23 grains which is a factory loading; it is max and is a mildly compressed load. It delivers all the power you will need for the game that you listed. It also makes you aware of that power. It is accurate at 50 yds and I assume that it would be at 75 as well. Velocity is somewhere in the 1200-1300 range. LLS

Personal preference here...........for me, IMR4227 burns too slow for the 44 Mag. I just found its performance lacking as compared to AA4100 or 2400. But if you're not looking for max loads it might just be the ticket for you.
    But, IMR4227 is my powder of choice for the 500 S&W Mag.
    Last edited by parisite; 05-20-2011 at 04:16 PM.

22 grns in .44 mag with a 250 keith is my hunting load and has been for years. Deer, hogs, and coyotes have all fallen to it. It is very accurate in my guns. A frined of mine killed a hog in TN yesterday with this load. Not quite max velocity or pressure but accuracy out the ying yang.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

My research with the .44 mag. seems to indicate that with the 270 grain range of boolits that 4227 does as well velocity wise as H110 and 296. 4227 is a top accuracy powder in quite a few calibers too (though maybe not a top dog in .357, now in the max it is a different story). Something that is hit with a slower boolit dies somewhat faster than same thing missed with a barn burner - eh? Blue Dot is usually purty accurate too, FWIW.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

Try this, http://www.imrpowder.com/pdf_reload.html

I`ll never understand why Hodgdon don`t include the old data !
    GP100man

Boolit Master
    I couldn't get 4227 to burn right in standard pressure .45 Colt, always had unburned powder left (a lot of it). I'm going to be trying 2400 to see if it burns better for me......

Dan

Boolit Buddy
    I use IMR-4227 in my 357 Magnum Marlin Rifles.

With a Lyman 358156, I use 13 grains of IMR-4227.

With a Saeco 354(183 grains)and a Lee 180RF (185 grains), I use 12 grains of IMR-4227.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

For more than 10 years, I loaded 20.5 gr of IMR4227 (compressed charge) under an NEI 236 gr TC in my DW .41 Mag for silhouettes. Don't remember the velocity numbers, but shot my share of 40s using this load and never lost a 200M ram on a solid hit.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I only have limited experience with IMR-4227. Never had a chance to do formal accuracy testing, just off hand stuff at 25 yards.

That said, I've used a 158gr LSWC (Saeco mold, can't remember the number at the moment), and I used data from Oregon Trail Bullet Co.'s manual.

Starting load: 13.5 grains (1,172 fps from a 6" bbl)

MAX load: 15.0 grains (1,254 fps from a 6" bbl)
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    My 16.0gr 4227 load with a 158gr "J" bullet in my S&W 686, is the most accurate load in that revolver.

Don

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW. For 4227, Quickload estimates approximately a 65% burn in those ctgs in a 6" barrel and approx a 8O% burn in a 24 inch barrel.
    People sometimes tell me they dont own guns because guns are too expensive. I tell them guns dont cost anything. They are essentially another form of currency.