Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: LeveRevoltuion Powder

Larry, thank you for getting this started. Excellent work! To all the others who have submitted their results with the different calibers thank you as well!

i am wondering if someone has worked up a load for .357 Herret.

Looking at Larry's data, my 14" barrel is going to be right at the edge of peak pressure when the boolit leaves the barrel. My goal is a 200-250gr boolit out of the Herret. I am frustrated at the low weight loadings i find. To me this cartridge screams to be loaded heavier. i get decent accuracy for the 200gr j-words using IMR4227, better from IMR4895. If Lever can give me better results,and continues to shine with the heavier than usual loadings I keep reading about, I think I could hit my goal of a 250gr load. I have not yet gotten a mold to cast anything as I have not been able to find any load data.

I am not recoil shy if anyone was worried about the extra recoil from the 250gr load

if no one else has played with LEVER and the Herret, how would I go about determing load volume? Take known Herret and 30/30 loads, determine % difference for minimum loads and apply the average percentage (taken from multiple powders for the same loads) and start there? Fill the Herret case to the neck/seating depth of the chosen boolit, then back off 2-3 grains from say an average of 5 measurements?

suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Master
    Has anyone tried LVR in 35 rem with mihec's 359-220 or RCBS 35-250. Any suggestions where to start. I was thinking 37 or 38 gr for the 220 and 34 or 35 gr for 250. Midway had a clearance on the RCBS 35-250 semi-point GC, I couldn't pass it up. It may very well be too heavy for the 35rem but I was thinking my 35 whelen needs to be fed when I saw the 40% off sale. Any safe suggestions where to start on loads I would appreciate.

Boolit Buddy
    I have tried the 7-30 waters with Speer, 130gr SPBT, and worked up loads from my 21" contender from 35gr to 37gr. The 37gr gave me a 2609 FPS and all the case pressure signs looked good. The kick started to be noticeable at 37gr so I stop there.
    I had also tried from 36gr to 46gr in my Encore 28" 308 Win rifle (new to me). I did not collect velocities on the 308 Win because I accidentally shot the chronograph and no longer works. No signs of high pressure and the shots were pleasant. My next test is my 358 Win with 200 gr Hornady power IL's. I have tried some 30-30 Win loads with 150gr SP IL and got good results too but I did not exceed 36gr at that time.
    Larry's powder test is awesome!
    Thank you Larry for sharing with us your experiments.
    Camba

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    Has anyone tried LVR in 35 rem with mihec's 359-220 or RCBS 35-250. Any suggestions where to start. I was thinking 37 or 38 gr for the 220 and 34 or 35 gr for 250. Midway had a clearance on the RCBS 35-250 semi-point GC, I couldn't pass it up. It may very well be too heavy for the 35rem but I was thinking my 35 whelen needs to be fed when I saw the 40% off sale. Any safe suggestions where to start on loads I would appreciate.
    I've had decent results with the 35 Rem and LVR powder under a 190 or 200 gr boolit but I think the 35-250 would be more at home in your 35 Whelen. I don't think 35 my Rem is happy with 230's, pretty sure I don't want to try 250's. Haven't tried LVR in the 35 Whelen but powders in the 4350 class are a good fit for the 230 gr boolit I and my rifles like.
    When I read this thread and reviewed my notes I concluded that LVR powder is an excellent powder in a narrow set of circumstances. I think it works best at the upper limits of SAAMI specs with nominal (and maybe a bit heavy) boolit weights in the 35 Rem.
    PM me and maybe we can SWAG a load for that boolit if you will tell me which powders you have on hand.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

With the MP359-220 I would start around 36 grains of LVR and work up to around 41 grains. Only in a Marlin or bolt gun. These loads would not be meant for the older auto loaders. I have the 359-220 and the bullets weigh right at 220 grains. I haven't loaded up any 35s yet with the 220 but I have loaded the rcbs 35-200 which weighs around 212. I load that 212 grain bullet with 41 grains of LVR and no pressure signs. Good luck with your gun and load.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Master
    Not a 35 Rem, but instead a converted 35/30-30:

The 35/30-30 has pretty much the same case capacity. I found that packing it full of powder got okay velocity, but not as good as Benchmark, which I settled on. IMR 3031 would probably be a good one to. I also found that the felt recoil when getting a lot of slower burning powder in the case was obnoxious.

Leverevolution, imo, is probably the bomb in 30-30, but my results were not good in the 35/30-30. However, many people on Marlinowners have done well with it in their 35 Remingtons when using the 220 grain speer.