Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: LeveRevoltuion Powder

Still have 2 boxes of FTX on the shelf I'll use when I run out of lead. With the RD311170, 30 gr GC's and 21 for FB, 1:10 20" 336. 35 gr wasn't easy on the shoulder.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Larry:

I may have asked this via a PM way back when you worked up the 311041HP loads, but if so can't find it. What lube did you use to handle that velocity? GF

Boolit Grand Master

I used Javelina (NRA 50/50 formula) which is no longer available. I find 2500+ to an excellent HV lube that works as well.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Larry:

Thanks for the information. I'll have to find out where I can order some of that lube. GF

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Larry:

Thanks for the information. I'll have to find out where I can order some of that lube. GF
    Bottom of this page; LsStuff.com

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Larry, thanks for the info. GF

Vendor Sponsor

Larry: Is Paco Kelly still around? I have been trying to get ahold of him for several weeks to no avail. I've tried emailing his tool website and his regular (I think) email addy.

He has some .410 loading tools I want.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Not to hijack but to ask for possible powder relationship info as a side note if you have experienced it. I have appreciated your writings as myself being just a touch above a boolit bub experience sometimes they can go over my head, but they are written down and I can search for those writings in the spin and grab of the learning curve. I was looking at LVR powder a couple of years ago for that gentler push like from 4064 to 4350 in the 30-30, but GM had that reloading supply sale back about then and I picked up 1 lb then three more of imr 4007ssc because it shot decent. On burn rate charts the two are very comparable. I was wondering if you have ever tried the 4007ssc and if the velocities were similar to LVR with comparable powder charges.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black ebony insert forearm repair 336SC 003.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	72143

Larry, I did a test of LVR powder also. This target is from my 1957 (ballard rifled) .32 Win Special. Load was 38.5gr of LVR, the 182gr RCBS 08-170 boolit, Javelina Alox lube,
    WW cases and a CCI250 primer. Velocity was 2300fps and group is five shots @ 50 yards with a Leupold VXI, 2x7x33. I don't have pressure testing equipment, but the load functioned and extracted normally with no "apparent" signs of high pressure. Looks like a super deer load. What do you think?
    358 Win

Note: I just added a picture of my Marlin 336SC used to shoot the attached target.
    Last edited by 358 Win; 05-31-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: content

Boolit Bub
    358 Win,

That does indeed look like a super deer load. Nice shooting!

Your group was centered on the upper edge of the bullseye @ 50 yards. If you adjusted your scope so that you were dead on at 150 yards, where would the bullet strike at 50 yards and at 100 yards with this load?

Again, great load and great shooting!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Larry: Is Paco Kelly still around? I have been trying to get ahold of him for several weeks to no avail. I've tried emailing his tool website and his regular (I think) email addy.

He has some .410 loading tools I want.

Randy
    I have not heard of his passing so I assume he is. However, he is getting pretty "long in the tooth" (aren't we all........) so he may be slowing down. Or he could just be busy doing something else and not monitering his emails......like out in the bush somewhere hunting ('tis the season in Africa, South America and NZ/Austrailia......wish I were there.....). Otherwise I don't know.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OnHoPr View Post
    Not to hijack but to ask for possible powder relationship info as a side note if you have experienced it. I have appreciated your writings as myself being just a touch above a boolit bub experience sometimes they can go over my head, but they are written down and I can search for those writings in the spin and grab of the learning curve. I was looking at LVR powder a couple of years ago for that gentler push like from 4064 to 4350 in the 30-30, but GM had that reloading supply sale back about then and I picked up 1 lb then three more of imr 4007ssc because it shot decent. On burn rate charts the two are very comparable. I was wondering if you have ever tried the 4007ssc and if the velocities were similar to LVR with comparable powder charges.
    The problem with LvRevolution powder is they have to put it "somewhere" on the charts. It's much slower and elongated time/pressure curve makes it almost impossible to "correctly" place on a chart with powders having normal type time/pressure curves. Sorry I have not tried the 4007ssc yet and with the current shortage of any powder on dealer shelves who knows when I can even get around to it?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

358 Win

Now that's what we're talking!!!!!!

Having run up to 37.5 gr LvR powder in the 30-30 under a 180 gr bullet and still being under SAAMI MAP we can pretty much be assured your load is also under the SAAMI MAP. Awesome!

Be glad when this panic buying is over with and we get some pwoder back on the shelves........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by superbee View Post
    358 Win,

That does indeed look like a super deer load. Nice shooting!

Your group was centered on the upper edge of the bullseye @ 50 yards. If you adjusted your scope so that you were dead on at 150 yards, where would the bullet strike at 50 yards and at 100 yards with this load?

Again, great load and great shooting!
    superbee, I have not done extensive long range tests with this load. I have shot it at 100 yards and was 1" high of dead center or about 1/2" higher than the 50 yard setting. I'm guessing, and I do mean guessing here that at 150 yards it would be at the bottom edge of the bullseye and another inch or so lower at 200 yards. I don't know the BC of this bullet right off the top of my head or I'd run a graph out to 250 yards or so.
    Maybe I'm being too optimistic on my guesstimation! Maybe Larry can help out based on his experience with 180 grain cast boolits in the 30-30.
    What say you Mr. Gibson?
    358 Win

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    358 Win

Now that's what we're talking!!!!!!

Having run up to 37.5 gr LvR powder in the 30-30 under a 180 gr bullet and still being under SAAMI MAP we can pretty much be assured your load is also under the SAAMI MAP. Awesome!

Be glad when this panic buying is over with and we get some pwoder back on the shelves........

Larry Gibson
    Larry, thanks for the confirmation on my supposition that my .32 Win Special load with LVR powder and my RCBS 08-170, 182gr cast not being into the red line zone as far as pressure. I have to size that 08-170 boolit @ .3225 or my .32 Specials will not shoot worth a hoot. The Ranch Dog 323-170 has to be sized .323 or my four .32 Specials don't like it. My target/walk about load in my .32 Specials is the same 08-170 boolit with 16.0 grains of Alliant 2400 powder for right at 1650fps. I have been using that load for over 30 years now and my experimentation has proven over and over again that the FED 215 Magnum primer gives me significantly tighter groups, lower extreme spreads and much lower average deviation between shots. I'm willing to bet that the group fired above would shrink if I choose to use the FED 215 instead of the CCI 250 primer. It seems with such a non case filling load like 16.0 grains of 2400 powder would require a filler of some sort but the FED 215 Magnum primer takes care of igniting that small powder charge, no matter where it's laying in the case.
    358 Win

In Remembrance

I saw an article or video of Mr. Emery talking about the powder and he said it was limited in usefulness to certain cartridges and that is why they don't list more cartridges than you find. Other powders are just better in some cases.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use 37.5gr in the 30-30 with the gb Lee 195gr rnfp boolit that has 3 crimp grooves. I shoot it in my XLR with excellent results. have been playing with the 38.5gr lvr and the speer 130fp. Haven't chrono'd it, but the xlr and a friends Sav 24 shoot very good groups with it also.

Also use lvr in my 356win (30-30 xlr that JES rebored/rechambered)

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 358 Win View Post
    superbee, I have not done extensive long range tests with this load. I have shot it at 100 yards and was 1" high of dead center or about 1/2" higher than the 50 yard setting. I'm guessing, and I do mean guessing here that at 150 yards it would be at the bottom edge of the bullseye and another inch or so lower at 200 yards. I don't know the BC of this bullet right off the top of my head or I'd run a graph out to 250 yards or so.
    Maybe I'm being too optimistic on my guesstimation! Maybe Larry can help out based on his experience with 180 grain cast boolits in the 30-30.
    What say you Mr. Gibson?
    358 Win
    358 Win,

Thanks. It looks like that zero would extend pointblank range considerably past 150 yards. Impressive performance from the 32 W.S. !

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 358 Win View Post
    What say you Mr. Gibson?
    358 Win
    With 30 cal cast bullets cast soft and mildly HP'd in the 2000 - 2100 fps range I've found 200 yards to be the practical maximum range for trajectory and enough retained velocity to ensure good expansion. With LvRevolution powder boosting the velocities of some cartridges (with the slower 12 - 16" barrel twists) to the 2300 fps range with those softer cast bullets I've no doubt most such cast bullets will have sufficient retained velocity at 250 yards for reliable expansion also. Thus the increased velocity is increasing the effective range on both accounts. When I can get some more LvRevolution powder I will be doing much more experimenting, particularly in the 30-30 and my 26" barreled 35 Remington.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Very good info Larry. I would like to see the factory do more cast boolit testing in the future, publish the data, see what it might do with lite 150gc's in 30:30 as well. Was passed a almost new lee 150 gc mold that I'd like to try. Also wondering what Hornady LV powder might do in 38-55 and 444. Might be the density requirements won't work in larger cases, but thinking if this stuff works well in 30:30 with heavy boolits, should be right at home in the 38:55 case, it's almost the same case. Bet powder charges are going to be somewhat reduced with a 265 gc. Looks like from your testing the Hornady LV powder has a longer dwell time and peak pressures are lower in 30:30. Without the equipment to properly measure pressure I'm a little reluctant to stray to far from the published loads for 38:55 with a 1917 Winchester 94. I know this one should be good for 40k pressure, and the Winchester big bore 444 should go 50K. Still, in the older rifle, want to keep pressure down below 30K and speed with a 265 gc around 1600 fps to hunt with.
    Chris