Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insight needed Marlin 45-70

In Remembrance

Insight needed Marlin 45-70

Found this add locally for this Marlin 45-70 and since I've been out of the realm of reality as far as prices and quality I'm kinda lost.

Looked up this model on-line and GB has them listed for just under what this guy is asking, but not by much.

I've never loaded the 45-70 but oddly enough I do have the 405HB mould.

What do you folks think?

http://showlow.backpage.com/SportsEq...45-70/38913844
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

IMO:

Marlin 1895 (used) alone = $500 (+/-)

Leupold 6x scope (used) alone = $200 ($300, new @ www.swfa.com )

Leupold rings & mount base = $50 (new)

It's up to you, if you feel that the subject package is worth buying.

I wouldn't want the scope and/or mounts, but YMMV.

Boolit Grand Master

Most I'd go is 700 and I'm not real sure about that scope. I just bought that rifle in like-new condition with an older steel Weaver scope for around $600 IIRC.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

You don't need a 6x on a 45-70.

Boolit Master

When I was a dealer scope and mount $50 tops.

In Remembrance
    Well....I went and got it for $700 which is about as low as he would go. His receipts totaled just under 1K and this thing was never fired. He had to get rid of it to pay for dental work and he had a hard time holding back the pain when I was there. I ended up getting 4 boxes of ammo, which being a caster and reloader and so on you can see the imperfections right from the start. The new Winchester ammo was crimped so hard the brass just below the boolit started to buckle from the strain.

Some may understand this, some not, but when you live remote things just aren't that easy to come by. 2 of the 4 boxes of ammo had $51 price tags on them, while the other 2 had $32 which came from Wallyworld.

Right now I have it sitting in my room and hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to get into the NOE site and look for moulds. I have 1 mould that I'll use to cast a few to see what the groove diameter is on that thing and go from there...
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Bub
    Seems fair to me. Nice outfit.

Scope bite ready to happen, buy it nakid
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    The price seemed to me to be about right.
    You will have fun with it if you load your own ammo.

Nice deal.

Boolit Master
    Let us know how it shoots for you with your own bullets.

Moderator Emeritus

Grumpa, I don't think you overpaid. Many don't realize just how variable prices are on used guns according to what are you're in. Here in the south, fine old double shotguns are more valued than they are in many other areas, for instance, but some areas find extra utility and desirability in some guns, so they naturally go for higher prices in those areas. I've run up against this at times myself, and have learned to just accept it. The only thing that really matters is you've got yourself a good gun. For me, that 6x scope would have to go in favor of a low powered fixed or a variable with low settings on the bottom end of the power range.

I have a sense that you're not going to regret the purchase, and those are the kind of sentiments that matter long after you've forgotten what you paid .... and it's what matters most in the end. I think ya' done good!

tang sight > scope

...or a receiver sight, either way.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master

I recently bought a new Marlin 45-70, and with my 350 gr cast Boolits it will shoot a 3/4 in 5 shot group at 100 yds with a muzelvelocity of 1836 fps +\- 15 fps. Providing I do my part which some days just doesn't seem to happen, and those days are becoming more frequent as I get older. I hope yours shoots as well as mine. Best wishesJoe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    Give your 405HB a try. I use the Lee version in my Marlin and am quite happy with it.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    Give your 405HB a try. I use the Lee version in my Marlin and am quite happy with it.
    I plan to in time, but like a lot of folks I want to find out what boolits it likes to digest. I have a couple of NOE boolit moulds in mind and I have a request for some boolits in the Boolit Exchange area, but so far no nibbles. I would like to try before I buy type thing, and I want to get more brass for it. Funny how things work.....I know I had a few hundred 45-70 cases. Don't know if I traded them off, sold them, or that brass fairy with that twisted sense of humor hid them on me.

It just amazes me just how much "STUFF" I can fit in a 10x10 room and not find anything.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 03-18-2016 at 07:15 AM.

Annealing Services

I agree that the fixed 6x is too much fixed power for the 45-70. Mine carries a 2.5x though I would prefer a low power variable. It handles a 340 grain RFN at moderate velocity quite accurately.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

In Remembrance
    A lot of folks mention that 6x scope. I probably wont change it since I kind of like the higher fixed power scope. I have yet to shot it, right now my left shoulder hurts so bad (for a week now) I can't lift the rifle, let alone get more than 4hrs of sleep a night. I did get around to casting just a few 405HB boolits, now to ponder if I want to PC them or lube them. Just going through the site reading up on load data, I'll probably start with 3031 and see how it goes.

Annealing Services

Boolit Master
    If your shoulder hurts ,10 grains of Unique under the Lee 405 g and you will smile . Let me know what you need I have Lee 405g lubed /PC/ PB/ an GC also noe 350gr PB/GC/and 300 g and
    420 gr FN

Boolit Grand Master

Scope in 6X will be fine for target use or hunting open country, it's what my Savage 99 wears these days (Weaver). Both of my Marlin 45-70's wear low-powered VX-3's because I want to be able to use them for "close encounters" lol. I may have some RD 350's cast, PM if you need a few. If you have some Rx7 on hand you may want to give it a try. The 45-70 is an incredibly versatile (forgiving?) round and there are likely hundreds of good loads, if not thousands.
    Take care of that shoulder! I'm doing a low dose of Ibuprofen twice a day for some cranky elbow and shoulder joints. Seems to be helping a little.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Grumpa, where I live, that rifle would have almost $60 sales tax added to it. I don't consider your gun used since it has not been fired and has no dings. Subtract scope, mount/ring, and ammo. You got the rifle for $450. If the scope is or does ever become defective, Leupold will repair or replace it for free, and it is made in America. I wish that I had your new rig.

About your shoulder, let me share my experience. Both shoulders are past due for joint replacements. I no longer can put on a shirt or jacket without help. Ice packs will reduce the inflammation and pain. Aleve or Advil or their generics work very well, and you can use Tylenol sparingly along with either. Go on line and research range of motion exercises. These help and will retard the progress of what ails you, which most likely is arthritis. Too check out different pillows designed for folks with these issues.

Feel free to PM me if I can offer any assistance.