Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock Demystification--Step 1

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have been told that we blew up several 40S&Ws at work (when I usewd to work ) and one was a new gun that blew up on the first mag. Our armourer seemed to think that the Glocks would fire whilst slightly out of battery, because they blew up dirty guns, clean guns and a new gun on the reloads. They fire a lottttttttttttt of ammo though.

I have only used 9mm in Glocks and had no trouble, and lots of aussies use glocksa around the ranges and most don't allow anything other than lead.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Retired to South Carolina for the grandkids!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Al View Post
    Mike-- I'm trying to de-bunk claims about the non-suitability of Glock barrels for reloaded ammo and cast boolits.
    For what it's worth, since about '91 I've been training and plinking with handloads (warm load of AA7 under bulk 180 JHPs & Western Nevada 175 LSWCs) for a G23 (2nd gen from about '91 or '92) and a G35. Both Glocks clean easy and well - there simply is no lead build up problem with either of these.

The only issue I've had is one batch of my handloads that ran fine in two Hi Powers and a Smith, but three Glocks couldn't feed this batch properly. I don't know how or why, but using the Lee factory crimp die has stopped this feed problem. And a lot of people really likt the G21.
    John
    Winchester ‘92s & 94s

“President JFK 20 Jan 1961: “the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”

"Life brings us sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    I wasn't going to say this, but I'm seeing that it might need to be said. I never measured any of my reloads going into my Glock. I made them up from purchased booolits, multiple fired cases, and .45ACP dies (Lee), and putting the boolits far enough into the cases so the crimp groove was used. Standard case prep was done: trimming at regular intervals, ect.

This is as technical as I became. Still never had a problem that I, and I stress I, didn't MAKE happen by trying to make it happen. The Glock was as reliable as all of my revolvers, it took everything that was made for the chamber size and fired it. With incredible, boring regularity.

I didn't sort any boolits for weight, diameter, color of lead....just made sure there was lube in the groove. Straight out of the 500 count boxes and into the cases.

At that time in my mind, casting for the bottom feeder was riduculous...I'm coming around to casting for my revolvers. Still a bit off of doing it for the 1991A1, but maybe soon...
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Grand Master
    I am REALLY enjoying this Glock 45 ACP.

The BD Original boolits were prone to stoppages in my buddy's Kimber Target and my 2 S&W 45's until seating depths got massaged a little--and still weren't 100% reliable. The BD's ran like water through the Glock, and really whacked the daylights out of my dinger plate at 25 yards--repeatedly. The numbers (20 rounds apiece) of 3 boolit designs say nothing about long-term reliability, I'm just checking for lead deposits at this point in the exercise. I'll continue the firing sequences for a time, to see how things shake out.

Through all this--I'm having a great time--and that's the object of the game.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

This thread is a good example of why I love this board.
    I own a Glock 21 that I have been fearful of shooting lead out of until now.
    Thanks Deputy Al!

Banned

one of my buddys has a 10mm glock and its digested probably over 2000 cast bullet handloads. He shoots a 180 tn cast with a midrange charge of hs7 equivilant wc820. He begs me for bullets as its the most accurate load hes found in the gun. With the shallow rifleing there kind of like a micro grove marlin. They tend to prefer harder bullets. The softer ones must strip through the rifling. I cast them for him either out of #2 or 5050 ww/lyno and have personaly shot sub 2 inch groups at 25 yards with that load and his gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Most welcome, Redleg. The whole process with the Glock 21 has been pretty unremarkable, really. Accurate--reliable--clean shooting. One trait of the Glock barrels that I noted with the pistols our deputies carried was that they cleaned VERY easily, and this barrel is likewise. A couple solvent-soaked patches, then dry patches, and it's done. I have yet to need a bore brush to get the tube clean, even after LOTS of lead bullets. The polygonal bores don't have "right-angle crevices" at land/groove junctions where crud can wedge into, I guess.

Lloyd, your buddy should try the 200 grain castings in the 10mm. My long favorite in that caliber. My alloy in both the Glock 21 and the S&W 10mm is Taracorp (half Lino/half unalloyed lead equivalent).
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Al ive got a 200 grain ballistic cast mold for a tn and a 210 grain rf but his gun seemed to like the 180s better.

OK Al,
    I bit the bullet....er, boolit. I just picked up a G21 from a non-loader in my club. It's had about two boxes through it and isn't even broken in yet. I have been prepping brass, lubing boolits, and loading boxes of test rounds. The range is still snowed in, but with the rain and warm weather lately, we might be able to use it in another week, if the mud's not too deep. (I will be selling my 1st gen G23 ASAP to the first someone who doesn't load and shows me cash.) I also broke down and bought a dovetail sight adjustment tool made by B&J Machine - some slick and I highly recommend it. It took about 30sec to look at it and figure out how it works, 2min to set it up, and another 30sec to adjust the sight. It's totally adjustable and will do front sights, too, as long as they're dovetailed. I will keep it in my range bag and figure it will pay for itself quickly. More later when the range opens.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Master

How about a picture of the sight adjuster

Versifier,

How about a picture of the sight adjuster or a link to manufacturer. And you coul dgive us a pict of the fine shooting you do also.

Here's the fixture. I got it from Midway - Brownells has it, too. It's got my G21 slide in it and the "pusher" is the top threaded thingy. (That's a technical term.)

Great shooting will have to wait until the range reappears. You want to see my famous one hole/one shot group? Then you better stay tuned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B&J Sight Fixture.jpg  
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen a copy of a pretty angry official letter from a
    major US gov't agency which issues Glock 40s requesting
    Glock explain why they have had several low time 40s
    go KABOOM during training. These guns have ONLY seen
    factory jacketed ammo and are maintained by Glock
    trained armorers. A friend has blown up a 40 cal Glock
    with lead bullet loads, and Glock was downright nasty
    on the phone, would not even consider that their superior
    Austrian uberweapon could have any problems. Also
    mentioned that "we hear of about 10 guns per week"
    that have blown up, no idea what cals or ammo.

I personally know of no 9mm or 45ACP blowups, but I don't
    fool with Glocks much. Seems like the 40s have some "issues".
    Besides, the only Glock 40 I ever shot hit me in the face
    with the brass every shot, which is good because I really
    hated the trigger and grip, so it made the choice to stay
    away that much easier. Millions love them, the just don't
    tickle my fancy.

FWIW,

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    MtGun44, the most plausible explanation I've seen for kB's to date involving Glock .40's has been with rounds that have been repeatedly cycled through the gun, bumping against the feedramp from slidelock many times-as in feeding and refeeding the same cartridge. Many users may do this, "topping off" with the same cartridge repeatedly.

Predictably, the bullets start to telescope into the cases-and given the .40's short overall length and high operating pressures, it doesn't take much telescoping before pressures ramp up markedly. Given the level of case head support present in a high pressure cartridge of this sort it is possible that kB's may happen in this way-and explains why it seems to be most prevalent in the .40, as it has more volume decrease with a given (shorter) OAL than a 9mm or .45. Relatively fat bullet, short case.

Sounds plausible anyway. Add it to the list of "possibles."
    Last edited by 35remington; 03-29-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not totally sold on the Glock trigger feel, but I can get used to it. Mine is fun to shoot, and I like having 13 rounds of SXT 230's on board and available before the slide locks back. A lot of the reason I bought it was to try cast boolits in it, just to jerk the chain of the Internet Mall Ninjas whose mantra was "No Lead In Glocks". In some past life I must have been the court jester, the guy who put the pig's bladder under the queen's throne pillow--a medieval whoopee cushion of sorts--and likely got burned at the stake for my efforts.

Boolit Master
    Deputy Al, "Internet Mall Ninjas"? never heard that one, but I like it!

"A hot stake is better than a cold chop!" - Curly Howard
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Grand Master
    My irreverence knows no boundaries.