Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Praise for the Post Office

Boolit Master

Thats for a nonlicensee, an ffl can ship a handgun but it is kind of a pain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    Thats for a nonlicensee, an ffl can ship a handgun but it is kind of a pain.
    Yeah, none of the ffl's around here want to bother with it . . .
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master
    I stand corrected. I found the following on the BATF site. You ain't kiddin' about it bein' a pain. Notice the part in bold below. Do I interpret that to mean the addressee may not sell the handgun, but must keep it for his own personal property?

Q: Who may ship handguns through the U.S. Postal Service?

Federal firearm licensees may send an unloaded handgun in the mail to another FFL in customary trade shipments. Handguns also may be mailed to any officer, employee, agent, or watchman who is eligible under 18 U.S.C. 1715 to receive pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person for use in connection with his or her official duties.

However, postal service regulations must be followed. Any person proposing to mail a handgun must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee stating that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm, and the affidavit must bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official use of the addressee. See the current Postal Manual for details.
    Last edited by Jim; 05-03-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    Despite complaints, which I share at times, we have the best postal service in the world. I have numerous family members who have lived overseas in the past and theft is the biggest issue. Whatever you can say about our postal service they are honest.

I don't know what it is with getting stuff in the mail lately. Recently my wife ordered shoes, and I ordered a Lyman pot, RCBS dipper, two Lee molds and two sizers. My ordered was mailed on Mon., got it on wednesday. I think that was UPS, but still fast.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    Yeah, but . . . why does one need a ffl to ship a hand gun with them? Seem silly that I can ship a long gun with them, and a hand gun for $98 UPS or FedEx . . . but they won't let me use their service!

This means that the buyer has to (or should) figure in the total cost of the gun (including shipping and ffl) which UPS is taking almost $100 . . . I could get $80 more of the sale price if UPS wasn't so greedy, OR USPS would allow unlicensed people to use their service!
    That is just one of the ways the Government uses for gun control.They do not what to make it easy or cheap. The honest man has to pay dearly.
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    Despite complaints, which I share at times, we have the best postal service in the world. I have numerous family members who have lived overseas in the past and theft is the biggest issue. Whatever you can say about our postal service they are honest.
    not around here, you better have your stuff insured. so many packages end up "missing" you can track them with the tracking number, then when they reach near this area no more scans.

and good luck getting paid for the insurance you bought, unless you have a "cash register receipt" not an online print out.

Boolit Master

Jim,

I understand "official use of the addressee. " would being that they have a ffl, they are "officially" in the business of selling or transferring ownership of firearms . . .

- - - - - - - - -

Yeah it is hard to not just stick it in a flat rate and send it off . . . but I try my best to follow the laws I know about . . .
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troy_mclure View Post
    .....and good luck getting paid for the insurance you bought, unless you have a "cash register receipt" not an online print out.
    When I ship, I always ask the other party to let me know when they receive the package. And I always keep all documentation from the PO until the other party lets me know they have received the package.

Boolit Master
    i always use insurance, and delivery confirmation, even tho the delivery conformation rarely ever shows delivered, and i have been screwed 2x on the insurance.

Boolit Master

The FFL that receives my firearm purchases is in the next town about 8 miles away. Recently I needed to send a handgun to a smith in another state. I took it to the FFL along with the form (1508) which states:"To the best of my knowledge and belief, the addresses are manufacturers of firearms or bona fide dealers therein." I had already filled out everything except the FFL's signature.

He called the local post office and they told him they would get back to him since they had never shipped a handgun before. Since I wasn't in a hurry, I told the FFL that I would be back the next day. The next day they had not returned his call so he called again. They gave him the same song and dance as before.

I asked if he would fill out a copy of his FFL and sign the form 1508 and let me take it back to my local post office. He agreed and off I went. The lady postmaster(mistress?) looked everything over, checked her regulations, and accepted the package. Took all of 15 min.

Quite a contrast between two post offices in adjacent towns.

John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Trying to watch the USPS tracking # is a joke. It takes till the parcel is at my PO before it changes from "the post office has been notified" ets. This can be from 2 to 5 days.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    The Daughter of our Post Master is in our Daughter's class at school and it is a pleasure to catch up with her when the line isn't too long at the P.O. The carriers are all private contractors in our little town, and service varies considerably when the regular fellow misses a day at work. He is patient, and considerate when it comes to all the heavy packages that manage to wind up at my address. If he needs assistance, he honks; if I am not here to help, he makes sure they are in the chest on the front porch out of sight and protected from the weather. He usually finds a bottle of KY's finest Bourbon, a gift card to restaurants, or new fishing tackle in the box addressed to him throughout the year. A fine old gent and Former Marine. Doesn't have any interest in shooting, but appreciates my passion for the Garands and M1A/M14s.
    Flat Rate boxes are truly the best deal in shipping these days, but I have been known to use quite a bit of tape to reinforce them.
    Got-R-Did

Boolit Grand Master
    Got-R-Did, you sure you don't live here in Floyd? What you describe sounds just like my little town.

So a month and a half ago, I mailed a certified letter, return receipt, to California. And I mailed a copy of the same letter first class mail.

The first class letter got there a month later. The certified mail letter never, no return receipt and it was never scanned a single time in the USPS system. No explanation.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    So, did you get your postage back on the Certified, Return Receipt requsted letter?
    PO lost one of mine 2 years ago, and I got a refund of the postage and fees.
    Last edited by oneokie; 05-04-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Yep. And a blank look from the post master regarding why it was never scanned from the moment it was put into his post office's hands.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    One time I did a mailing of over 500 pieces and mailed one to myself so I would know when to start contacting people. All were first class. About a week later I got mine in the mail. Lets see 7 days to get a letter to travel less than ONE mile. Go figure.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    Jim, It could be the last name that keeps us in good stead with the delivery guy!