RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: GP100 6 in Barrel

GP100 6 in Barrel

What do you guys think of the Ruger GP100. I have a 357 BH that shoots great but think I'd like a swing out cylinder. Looking at a 6 inch barrel.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Master
    I got one in stainless, love it.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

I have one in SS and I would love one in blued. I am also a ruger fanatic. I think I only have a bakers dozen of them.

Boolit Man

Thumbs up

That's the one I am going to get to plink with, 357 uses less lead and powder. Will be able to shoot more and it is much smaller than my SRH with 9.5" barrel that I used scoped to hunt with. Good choice.

Boolit Man
    I love my SS GP100 w the 6" barrel. Loves cast Lee 158g RF boolits.

AJ
    Beat profusely with hammer until functional.

Boolit Master
    I have a SP101 357mag that is fun to shoot.
    I have considered buying a GP101 to keep it company.
    NRA Life Member

In Remembrance

A gp100

is a great gun. I had one for several years. Alas, it was just what someone else wanted in a trade for something I wanted.

I have been looking for another.

I discovered that the Security Six is a really good subsistitute and way cheaper.

I do prefer the full underlug of the GP 100. My SS is a six inch, blued.

I got my Security Six for a hundred and ninety which included two sets of extra grips and a holster.

I believe that the Security Six is a better made and finished gun than the GP for various reasons.

Life is good

Boolit Master

Got a SS GP100 in 4". I would like to own a 6" but I'd love to have one in 5". They're built like a bank vault. Just want a little more up-front weight and sight radius than a 4".

By the way, mine will not chamber a Lyman 358429 when crimped in the crimp groove, the nose sticks out the front of the cylinder. My BIL helps a friend reload .357s for his GP100 with the same bullet (using his 358429 mold) and they work OK. Don't know the guy, haven't measured his cylinder or my BIL's mold but there is enough difference between the bullets and guns to cause a potential problem and more than a few arguments.

Not that there aren't a lot of other good bullets that will work just fine...

Boolit Master
    I don't own a GP but no one says they are not BUILT!! I have the SP 3" and a Security Six in a four inch blued all in .357 and really like them. For my tastes, I prefer those over the GP because of weight issues. If I am going to pack that much steel ......... it might as well be chambered in a "40" something.

I have a model 28 Smith that is the same way ........ more iron .... but it's a first year Highway Patrolman so it's my one claim to collector's "fame".

Three 44s

Boolit Master

I have had a 6" stainless GP100 for a long time.
    It is a very good shooter.
    My only problem is deciding which of my .357s to shoot.
    I have The 6" GP and a 6" S&W M28, 686s in 5" and 8-3/8", and Security Sixes in 2-3/4", 4" and 6".
    Then there are Blackhawks with 4-5/8" and 6-1/2" barrels and a 10" TC Contender.
    The least favorite is the 2-1/2" M640 S&W. It just plain hurts with anything over target loads.
    Anyways, the GP100 has probably fired over 10K rounds, mostly 38 Spl target loads at falling plates, and the others probably have fired that much in total.

I have taken to shooting the local monthly tactical matches with the S&W PC 686-7 shot lately.
    It has done very well against the fellows shooting the bottom feeders.

You can't hardy beat a good .357 revolver for just about anything.

Jack

161, just buy it. You should know better than asking these guys IF you should buy a gun. Of course you should. I've got two SP's, one for the wife's truck, one for my pocket. I'd love a GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew 25 View Post
    161, just buy it. You should know better than asking these guys IF you should buy a gun. Of course you should. I've got two SP's, one for the wife's truck, one for my pocket. I'd love a GP.

"Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Buddy
    I work part time in a friends gun shop and the last half dozen or so of the GP100s I have handled there have vastly improved triggers. IMO, since Bill passed on some things have happened at Ruger that wouldn't have if he were still with us. This is one of the good things.

Boolit Master
    I have a newer GP100 6" blued, one of the last blued models they made before they discontinued them. Like the perfessor, I'd love to have a 5", but talk about rare. Mine shoots great, it wears a set of tulip wood Hogue finger groove grips with a rosewood cap, it is the only Ruger I never had to do trigger work on, the only mod other than the grips I made was to replace the white outline rear sight with a plain black one. Mine does have enough cylinder length for NOE's 358429, but won't chamber it as it has a short throat. I designed a WFN boolit with a .5 throat using mountain molds websight especially for it. It groups wonderful with 15 grains of 'Lil gun as well as 12.5 grains of 2400 with the 180 grain boolit, sized to .358.

Boolit Bub
    First revolver I ever purchased was a blued 6" gp-100. I love it.

I have a 6" SS. Very nice gun. I do need to have the cylinders reamed...
    He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    I have a newer GP100 6" blued, one of the last blued models they made before they discontinued them. Like the perfessor, I'd love to have a 5", but talk about rare. Mine shoots great, it wears a set of tulip wood Hogue finger groove grips with a rosewood cap, it is the only Ruger I never had to do trigger work on, the only mod other than the grips I made was to replace the white outline rear sight with a plain black one. Mine does have enough cylinder length for NOE's 358429, but won't chamber it as it has a short throat. I designed a WFN boolit with a .5 throat using mountain molds websight especially for it. It groups wonderful with 15 grains of 'Lil gun as well as 12.5 grains of 2400 with the 180 grain boolit, sized to .358.
    The blue GPs are back and the triggers are good out of the box.

Boolit Master

They are great guns. I don't own one but have fired and fondled several. Will definitely own and 4" and maybe a 6" at some point, just haven't encountered the right deal. The triggers on most lately are on par with a good S&W - but check before you buy. I have handled a couple that were terrible and stacked badly.

They are heavy - which is good and bad. I liked the old smooth rubber grips with the wood inserts.

Boolit Master

I`m not biased ,I like all Rugers !!!!
    GP100man