Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger SR1911 pistol

Boolit Master
    Hang tight gentlemen. It hasn't even been out long enough for their first recall yet.

IIRC; Ruger has not gotten a new autoloader out the past several years without a recall beating guns to dealer shelves. Admittedly, it is very hard to screw up a 1911, but the new design staff at Ruger seems to be very resourceful in things of this ilk these days.

I would have been happier if they had copied the Para-Ordnance HiCap and LDA when they sat down.

Rich

Boolit Master

Ruger has been casting Caspian frames for years. This one is cast with a forged slide. Did notice the Ruger billboard is on the bottom of the dust cover. Wonder if Ruger is going to copy the 870 next?

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    Runger 1911 group buy?
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Banned

Looks cool. Problem is i have enough 45acp 1911s. If theyd make it in 10mm id be all over one especially if it were a comander sized 10mm

Boolit Master

Back in the day, Colt and Winchester had a gentleman's agreement about not fishing in the other company's pond. Now everybody slaps together an AR or 1911 out of the same pool of subcontracted parts, puts their own logo in the grips, and calls it new.

I don't find myself saying over any of them.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master

Companies that make both the 1911 and AR15
    Colt
    Smith and Wesson
    Olympic Arms
    Remington
    SIG
    High Standard
    Para Ordance
    Double Star
    Les Baer
    Wilson
    and now Ruger

CD
    Last edited by Combat Diver; 04-19-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Love Life
    I can't wait. Hopefully it is built as well as all their other pistols. Better quality than a Taurus and cheaper than a *** Kimber.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    Well not impressed, there are lots of 1911's out there, however there is no one making Super Blackhawk Hunters, Stainless .45 Blackhawks, Old model Vaquero's (they can keep the new ones), Bisley .357's and .41's, and I can't find a Super Redhawk in .44 to save my rear.
    If Ruger wanted to make a clone, why didn't they dive into a market that was already saturated, like the Winchester 94?
    Ruger, pocket pistols, plastic revolvers, AR-15's, and now 1911's.
    I'm with Heavy lead on this one. I think the firearms market is already saturated w/ enough 1911 and AR-15 platform weapons. Now before anyone gets their "flame on" over this, I too have weapons of these types and shoot and enjoy them.
    I just always remember Bill Ruger and company coming up new and innovative firearms. I know they have come out w/ some new designs lately but it seems at least half of their output lately has been a lot of "me too" products.
    jmsj

Love Life
    I think it is a good idea on Rugers part. Yes the market is saturated, but I would rather buy a fully AMERICAN made pistol from Ruger in that price range than another company. That is just my preference. It's hard for most people to buy a Holland & Holland priced 1911 (Kimber), and I don't want to spend my hard earned dollars on a taurus.

Boolit Master
    I think that sometimes we don't understand the firearms business. Many powders that we have today are NOT because we wanted them, but because they were needed for government contracts.

Who might buy 1911s and modified AR15s? If you can get the public to buy certain models of guns and pay for the equipment necessary to set you up and train personnel for manufacture, then you can use the public to compete for government contracts. This equipment can possibly be used for other models as well.

Saturated market or not, can you imagine the costs Ruger can remove from the machining processes on a 1911? I'll bet they can make these for $150 apiece. So they can undercut the competition on price and STILL have a HEFTY profit margin.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Be sure to get the return address when you pick up the pistol. You will need it.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

I wouldn't mind owning one of these myself. In the right price range that is. I do wonder what it is about Taurus that some of y'all don't like. I only own 1 of theirs, a PT-100 .40 S&W and I don't have any problems with it at all.

Boolit Bub
    Very nice! New to the 1911 family other than having a safe collectable Colt 1911 have recently bought Remington 1911 R1's before the price hype. With the off the wall sales of the R1's I wonder if Ruger didn't just think to launch an idea that has been in the works. Anyway about it looks like a nice 1911 again especially MADE IN U.S.A.!

Well it looks nice. Wish they would have made a 5 shot Blackhawk in 480 RUGER!
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Well it looks nice. Wish they would have made a 5 shot Blackhawk in 480 RUGER!
    While we're wishing, I wish they'd go back to making the "old" vaquero, instead of the new miniature wealking they're cranking out, but I will get one of their 1911s sooner or later.

Good looking weapon and only time will tell about it's service or any problems it might have.

Boolit Man
    Nice to have an affordable 1911. Just what I was waiting for. Saving up for it now.

AJ
    Beat profusely with hammer until functional.

while i dont care for the feel of the Ruger P89 frame the P90 45's shot better than most Colts i owned(even my gold cups) and were more reliable.They are just chunks.
    HMP

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    I can't find a Super Redhawk in .44 to save my rear.
    Check GunBroker. There are several listings for SRH's in .44 Mag, as of yesterday. There are also several Redhawks, if you would consider that as an alternative.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Master
    I am sure they will be "competitively priced" just like their bargain basement AR-15's.
    Not much more than building another STI.

Rich

couldn't give me one...