MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee 6 banger is a dream

Boolit Buddy

Lee 6 banger is a dream

Two brand new molds in my inventory, a NOE 311-115 and a Lee TL356-124-2R 6 banger. Sprayed both with carb cleaner then took the hot water, dishsoap and a tooth brush to them. So far I dont think Ive got the NOE up to casting temp yet....still dropping wrinkled boolits, cant open the sprue by hand...time to pull out the hot plate.

The Lee 6 banger is a dream (for me that is). I figured a 6 banger would be a pain for a novice caster...Once I got the feel of the bottom drip pot filling the mold, and got the mold up to temp, she started dropping boolits faster than anything and that cam makes cutting the sprue a breeze...Im hooked.

So far all the boolits Ive made have ended up back in the pot...just casting to get the feel of it and heat and cool both molds as per the NOE instructions. After this I will be back out there for the third run...

Hopefully I will have a nice shiny pile of 30 Carbine and 9mm boolits by the end of the night...for the small boolits, time to give up on the 2 bangers for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Dropped about 300 boolits from the Lee and got Bullplate in the NOE...gotta get that one cleaned up.

I love mine, I smoked them and get the temp up and they drop great.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Master
    They do produce a pile of boolits fast don't they.

I am a spoiled Hensley 7 Gibbs fan

I own a bunch of 4-6-8 and 10 cavity Hensley & Gibbs moulds, and I bought a Group Buy Lee plain base 358156 copy mould that was Lee Mented. I have to say that the lee mould was great. I cast some 2000 bullets over a few days, and never had one stick or wrinkle or anything.
    I like them too. Especially after being lee mented.

Boolit Buddy
    Good to know as I am fixin to order a couple of 6 cavity molds from lee. Is there any group buys like the one listed above?

Banned

I've never had good luck with Lee molds, but I have never used one of the six cavity ones. I was looking at some a gun shop here had yesterday and they do seem much more substantial and better made than the two cavity ones. I need a good mold for .32 revolver bullets, so I think I'm going to get one of the six cavity Lees.

I have a couple of sets of nutcraker type handles that fit four cavity Lyman molds, will these work on those Lee gang molds? I've heard there is some handle interchangeability, but I didn't have them to look. Seems like they'd fit.

Boolit Master
    I like the Lee .45 SWC (200gr). Drops great out of the front 5 bullets, I can not get the one near the handle to drop.

Boolit Master

Lyman 4 cavity handles wil not work on the lee 6 cavity moulds. The window for mounting the mould to the handles is too small.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I like the Lee .45 SWC (200gr). Drops great out of the front 5 bullets, I can not get the one near the handle to drop.
    How hot is your alloy? For one of my moulds (the 358-158-RF), the third cavity doesn't fully fill out until the temp is right at 800 deg. F. The other 6-cav's that I have are happy at anything from 700 upwards.

Also, try re-smoking that cavity. See if that helps out any.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.