RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm accuracy

Boolit Bub

9mm accuracy

I have a 9mm shooting 124 grain cast bullets. i don't think it is shooting very accuratly, what are some places to start to improve that? new to reloading pistol rounds a little.

Banned

Is it leading?

Boolit Master

If it isn't leading and or keyholing then just keep on keeping on. Practice!!!
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Bub
    its not leading, i'll just keep shooting then!

Boolit Master
    What sort of accuracy are you seeing with cast? Do you have a jacketed accuracy comparison? The "is it leading" question/answer is a good place to start.

I was vexed with the 9 and cast boolits for a time but have a good combo now and accuracy is good with zero leading -- Lee 120 gr TC, felix lube, 0.002 over bore and Blue Dot.
    ph4570

Banned

You can try different lubes, what are you using?

Boolit Master

get an MP40....then accuracy is not the issue,,,just how much lead you can spray the area with

G22

Steve here... I have an as new Glock 22. I bought a KKM 9mm barrel to shoot cast.
    I have been shooting an old ideal 356402 Here is a pic at 25yds off hand 25f and windy.
    2.9 of Bullseye...they dam near roll out the top of the pistol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G22.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nick2010 View Post
    I have a 9mm shooting 124 grain cast bullets. i don't think it is shooting very accuratly, what are some places to start to improve that? new to reloading pistol rounds a little.
    You don't think it's shooting very accurately.

Well that tells me nothing.

How about you take that 9mm, step off a known range, and fire a known number of rounds at the same point of aim on the same target.

Measure the largest distance between the impacts, and report back.

We can't tell you anything without quantifiers.

And what "accurate" is is such a subjective term.

Give us more information and we JUST MAY be able to help you out.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Use different amounts of powder, and different powders. Don't just load up a cook book load, and expect it to be the best.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Size and sort your brass by length. The best accuracy is with those few cases that are 0.750" or longer.
    Since you aren't complaining about leading, then I can assume you have slugged your barrel and are uing bullets that are at least 0.001" over groove diameter.
    If you are shooting L-RN, I have not found them to be very accurate. The most accurate bullets I have found are the 115gn L-SWC and 124gn L-SWC from SAECO. I would like to try the Lyman 148gn bullet some day.
    Finally, there are very few 9x19 pistols that are designed for accuracy. Simply keeping them in an 8" circle at 25 yards is asking a lot of them and, in most cases of poor accuracy, the person behind the trigger is the problem.

Boolit Bub
    alright thanks for all the help, it seems alot of you guys were able to lead me somewhere if the information i supplied and it helped. i have tried a few different loads, but its probably 18" circle at 20 yards or so, was hoping for a little better, ill probably load couple hundred more rounds and keep shooting these same loads and get myself some more practice in.

Thanks guys.

Try squeezing the trigger , not jerking it.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Banned

Thought this might be useful here, if you haven't seen it.

Moderator Emeritus

First buy some factory and shoot it at 15 or 225 yards. That is the standard yo want to get to. You can vary velocity, hardness and boolit bearing surfaces as well as lube. Fire into a recovery tank or box and examine your bullet. Is the rifiling even and not showing signs of slipping or sliding? Try it from 850 fps to 1200 frs and see what changes.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

225 yards with a 9, not too shabby.

Boolit Master

Pfffttt, I do that all the time.. WITH MY EYES CLOSED!! Never said I hit anything.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    First buy some factory and shoot it at 15 or 225 yards. That is the standard yo want to get to. You can vary velocity, hardness and boolit bearing surfaces as well as lube. Fire into a recovery tank or box and examine your bullet. Is the rifiling even and not showing signs of slipping or sliding? Try it from 850 fps to 1200 frs and see what changes.
    Hmmmmm, let's see now. It's 10:36 in the evening. That is about 6-8 beer for me. Maybe a shot or two to boot. I just might be up to thinking about a few 225 yd shots with one of my nine's too.

Just joking, I know it's a Typo. Good info too. See what factory rounds do then either duplicate that accuracy or get better with cast.
    As already mentioned. The first load in the book you try may not be and usually isn't the most accurate load. Different powders and charge weights of each will help tell the story.
    Last edited by Down South; 03-30-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkid View Post
    Try squeezing the trigger , not jerking it.
    Pressing , Pressing

You guys must be alot better than me.
    I cant shoot pistols out to 225yds.
    Anything past 200yds and my groups open up to 2 or 3 inches.