WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is 40 SW a good Boolit to cast?

Banned

Thanks.

I find the 40 about the same as the 9mm top get really good results with. It's about matching powders to bullet alloy. I find the medium burners likw WSF & Unique work really well w/ a 175-180gr bullet runing 900-950fps cast from ww or maybe 3-1 ww/lead mix.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee 175 TC -- These drop right at 180gr with water dropped wheel weights. I've got loads for 'em from that go all the way from 810fps to 1020fps with PowerPistol.

(Now, play Where's Waldo and find the boolit that somehow got no lube! )

2.5 inches left an 3/4 inches up from bottom-right corner. Bullet faces up with nose hidden and base/groove visible... took 5 seconds. LOL
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Does anyone use Allox for these calibers? If so how well do they work out?
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bkid View Post
    Does anyone use Allox for these calibers? If so how well do they work out?
    I do. I use 50/50 LLA and JPW for all my cast boolits in rifle and pistol. Works great for me. Bores are shiny and clean due I think to the JPW.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

I cast and load tons of .40 and 9mm. Just finished 1k of 9mm for my Mrs. Ruger. I did a lot of reading on this forum before deciding how to load and what powder to use for the .40. Mostly because it seemed like there were many folks having trouble with it. I happen to like HS-6 or Unique for both calibers. Lube with 45-45-10, size and load. Couple of my molds don't even need sized.

My ¢2
    Armorer

Banned

In hindsight, I would have gotten a .45.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    I think you said that in post #4, glad your opinion hasn't changed since this morning.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Armorer View Post
    I cast and load tons of .40 and 9mm. Just finished 1k of 9mm for my Mrs. Ruger. I did a lot of reading on this forum before deciding how to load and what powder to use for the .40. Mostly because it seemed like there were many folks having trouble with it. I happen to like HS-6 or Unique for both calibers. Lube with 45-45-10, size and load. Couple of my molds don't even need sized.

My ¢2
    Armorer
    I agree with gathering knowledge,that is the key to a good start.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    I do. I use 50/50 LLA and JPW for all my cast boolits in rifle and pistol. Works great for me. Bores are shiny and clean due I think to the JPW.
    That is a tumble lube correct? I have not heard about a 50/50 mix only the 45/45/10. Interesting thanks!
    Never give up just keep at it. I had a heck of a time getting my 200 GR. 45 SWC Boolits to work properly. I just kept at it and kept seeking knowledge. I own both and will load for both ,and the 9mm eventually.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bkid View Post

That is a tumble lube correct? I have not heard about a 50/50 mix only the 45/45/10. Interesting thanks!
    It's the same mix except I add the "10" which is 10% mineral spirits to thin it out, make it dry harder, and faster.

Armorer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    I think you said that in post #4, glad your opinion hasn't changed since this morning.
    Man, you crack me up! Every so often you stick in some zinger...gives me a chuckle!
    Jon

Banned

me too, Haahhahaha I was just trying to drop the guy a hint, and hopefully save him a LOT of trouble.

me too, Haahhahaha I was just trying to drop the guy a hint, and hopefully save him a LOT of trouble.
    Thanks for the hint. I will still cast and load 40 SW ,trouble is my middle name.

Quote Originally Posted by Armorer View Post
    It's the same mix except I add the "10" which is 10% mineral spirits to thin it out, make it dry harder, and faster.

Armorer
    Thank you I am going to give this method a whirl. I read about this from a great write up from Recluse about a year ago. I Just need to get a hot plate and some JPC . I will order the molds from Midway .
    I wonder if anyone uses Accurate #2 ? I just have a lot of it.

Banned

Do you mean Lyman #2?

Do you mean Lyman #2?
    Accurate #2 is a powder for reloading.

Banned

oh dear, I thought alloy. DOH!

Banned

Is 40 SW a good Boolit to cast?

If you know enough to ask that, I think you know the answer.

Depending on your skill/knowledge set, tools, the dimensions of your chamber and leade and the level of performance you wish to achieve, it can be as simple as any other handgun caliber or it can be the nightmare that forever poisons you against cast boolits.

My experience: Either treat it as a .45 ACP and load in the pressure range that will get you about 800 fps or so, use a powder in the range of Clays or Unique, use air-cooled wheel-weights in the 11-15 bhn range, low-pressure lube, etc., OR....

If you want to load hotter, water-drop your boolits to get in the 22-24 bhn range, use SLOW powder like Blue Dot, Longshot, or HS6, get a custom expander die made that will expand your cases to .001" under sized boolit diameter, and use a high-pressure rifle lube like Carnauba Red or Felix lube, and work up near the top end of the safe velocity spectrum.

Forget liquid Alox and factory, jacketed-bullet expander spuds (way too small, causing undersized boolits and severe leading).

Gear

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    If you know enough to ask that, I think you know the answer.

Depending on your skill/knowledge set, tools, the dimensions of your chamber and leade and the level of performance you wish to achieve, it can be as simple as any other handgun caliber or it can be the nightmare that forever poisons you against cast boolits.

My experience: Either treat it as a .45 ACP and load in the pressure range that will get you about 800 fps or so, use a powder in the range of Clays or Unique, use air-cooled wheel-weights in the 11-15 bhn range, low-pressure lube, etc., OR....

If you want to load hotter, water-drop your boolits to get in the 22-24 bhn range, use SLOW powder like Blue Dot, Longshot, or HS6, get a custom expander die made that will expand your cases to .001" under sized boolit diameter, and use a high-pressure rifle lube like Carnauba Red or Felix lube, and work up near the top end of the safe velocity spectrum.

Forget liquid Alox and factory, jacketed-bullet expander spuds (way too small, causing undersized boolits and severe leading).

Gear
    Can I get an AMEN from the congregation???
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ