WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: ww or Pure lead to cast slugs?? Help!!

Boolit Bub

ww or Pure lead to cast slugs?? Help!!

Hi guys, I tried searching and haven't had any luck. I borrowed a 7/8 Lee 12 gauge mold and cast for 2-3 hours using ww like I do for my pistol bullets, then it dawned on me this may be too hard. Also I drop into bucket of water. Please tell me I can use these and didn't waste all that time!! Also anyone have a good recipe using either Rem sts or Winchester hulls and I would like to use Green Dot as that is my main shotgun powder. I have a light load recipe of 18.5 grs Green Dot. 1 other thing is crimping okay as opposed to roll crimping for the slugs? Thanks Mac

Boolit Buddy
    As per the manual, regular fold crimp and lead is what u should use, but a number of members here do use ww and roll crimp. so not all lost.
    Last edited by mckutzy; 03-31-2011 at 03:09 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    you can use pretty much any kind of lead you want
    not like b/p where you are better served with a softer mix
    I roll but there are fellas here that use a fold
    so no you did not waste all your time
    best of luck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Mold
    I believe that the paper work that came with my 1 oz. slug mold said to use pure lead. I had good luck with accuracy. All on a paper plate at 100 yard. I gave a box of them to a friend to use deer hunting and he had only 1 problem. The things were zipping right through the deer with out mushrooming any and not making a large enough exit wound to leave a good blood trail. So I could only guess that harder slugs would only do worse. Just my thoughts.

encoreman,
    I am pretty new to casting slugs and I use WW alloy also. One thing i have heard that you have to be careful about how much choke restriction you try to push "hard slugs" through. Pure lead slugs are pretty soft and can swage down easier than hardened WW alloy.
    I wanted maximum penetration from my slug load so on the advice from James at Dixie Slugs, I heat treated my slugs. I did measure the overall diameter of the slug and wad together and compared that diameter to the slugged diameter of the choke tube I intended on using(Cyl.). As the combined diameter was too large for the screw choke, I built a sizer for my "hard slugs" to achieve the necessary fit.
    This may be overkill but I am pushing these slugs fairly hard and did not want any take any chances of damage to myself or my gun.
    Do a search on slugs and you'll find lots of good info.
    Good luck, jmsj

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    If shooting slugs through a screw in choke remember to check the choke tightness every now & then to be sure it will still screw out. The torc from the slug passing through tends to tighten the choke further into the threads... sort of like a hammer / impact wrench.
    If you are looking for deep penetration try the lowly Round Ball. All my tests showed a Round ball will always out penetrate any hollow base slug when made of the same lead mix. 20-1 round ball was used for years in Africa as the "hardened projectile" for use on big criters. I imagine if those huinters would have had access to WW they happily would have thumped 2 toners with it. HB slugs are god medicine but a solid object is always better for penetration.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    If it's up to me, I try to use lead for slugs that cost the least.. usually for me that is recovered range lead.. bhn in the 8-14 range.. but then all I'm doing is punching paper with it.. for hunting, the heat treated or water quenched method likely is a good idea.
    Last edited by sargenv; 03-30-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarel View Post
    I believe that the paper work that came with my 1 oz. slug mold said to use pure lead. I had good luck with accuracy. All on a paper plate at 100 yard. I gave a box of them to a friend to use deer hunting and he had only 1 problem. The things were zipping right through the deer with out mushrooming any and not making a large enough exit wound to leave a good blood trail. So I could only guess that harder slugs would only do worse. Just my thoughts.
    forgot to mention
    I use mine in a fully rifled barrel
    at .735 I don't need to worry about expansion
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jarel View Post
    How is a .7+ size hole not large enough to leave a good blood trail?

If you put a slug that big into the vitals AND it passes through there should be NO possibility of losing that animal, whether it expands or not.

Banned
    Greetings, a couple of days back I was watching a show on crocodiles hunters and I was surprised to see a rifle bullet bounced off of a skull shot from 6 to 10 feet and a tiny bone splinter from skull bone hit the guy next to the hunter.
    The sphere is the most difficult geometric form to deform or destroy.
    The only time it will deform is if you hit a large bone, so proper placement is very important.
    Ajay Madan
    Video Memories
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

Boolit Buddy
    One time I cast up a lot of 1oz LEE slugs using wheelweights, then I remembered one of the shotguns I use them with is a SXS mod and full choke, I just didn't want to take any chances of one of those going thru the full choke by mistake, it would probably be ok, but I also know my luck, and that damn Murphy Guy and his Law, so I bit the boolit, LOL, and melted em down and used it for other boolits, and cast the LEE's with straight pb, from lead sheating I was given, I got over it and my guns are still intact........steg

Boolit Mold
    Encoreman not hijacking your original posting but since you mentioned WW, has anyone here have casted Linotype with the same Lee 7/8 slug mold? I'm currently sitting on 300lbs worth. Thanks for any response.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a post awhile back on this and it seems like the consensus was that pure lead or even the stick on ww's were the best. You probably have a bunch of the stick on ww's and they work fine from what I was told. They are mostly pure lead.