Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: My model 94 stovepipes

Boolit Buddy

My model 94 stovepipes

I just got a model 94 , pre 64, near new, and when I load it, it loads fine, but on cocking of a live round, it sends the loaded case stright up like a stove pipe.

At times, the loaded case will even turn completely around, so the bullet end is pointed toward the rear of the action.

Other times the loaded case will fall beack into the feed slot, and I must dig it out with a screwdriver.

can anyone tell me the problem, and how it fix ?

thanks

robert

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Factory cartridges? Cast boolit cartridges? What weight bullet/boolit?

What is your technique when operating the action to feed a live round from the magazine to the chamber? Are you holding the gun level/upright/parallel with the ground?

Only time I have experienced that happening, is with some 30-30 cartridges loaded with .311" round balls.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master

Check to see if the feed rails are in the gun. Or it could have the wrong feed rails, like for a 38-55.

Boolit Buddy
    The feed rails are in the gun,,, I guess, ...I have 3, m-94s, and they are all pre 64, and nothing inside seems to be missing in any of them.

As for how I hold the gun, flat, upward cant, slightly down, it doesnt seem to matter. The stove pipes happen at odd and incosistant times.

The load is 32 win silvertip, and rcbs cast. Both stove pipe.

I will take a close look at the feed rails, maybe somthing in them is different from the others.

In truth, I have only loaded and unloaded this gun many times, down in the basement, I live in the city, and I almost never get out to shoot anymore, but it would still be nice if it worked right.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Have you cleaned and oiled the gun?

It seems that the lifter is rising with more force/speed when it causes the stovepipes. You say it is a nearly new condition gun, there may be a burr on the rear of the lifter causing inconsistent operation of the lifter.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud