Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Carbine

Boolit Buddy

Smile untill I handle one,

will I make the decision to get one, like the looks, and everything, but still want to pick one up and see how it feels,

but will end up getting one I bet, when its all said and done,

also the mention of the mossburg MVP, like the looks of that thing too, but have not read anything on how well they shoot,

thing is,

I realllllly dont need either one, but, we still have the , cool, gotta have one, factor

best one of the month,

about unique and IMR unequal, They really did duplicate it, made it equally unobtainable

Banned

I like it. I think Ruger's got a winner on this one. Would love to own one.

Banned

Wonder if they are CA legal?

Just read through the whole thread,. Good reports Randy. Now I really want one ...
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 11-30-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Wonder if they are CA legal?

Just read through the whole thread,. Good reports Randy. Now I really want one ...
    It's bolt action. No restrictions.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Vendor Sponsor

I live in CA,,, I got one,,, and I love it!

IN fact I'm loading some .308's to shoot this Saturday at our monthly Silhoutte shoot at the Ojai Valley Gun Club.

Everybody is welcome see http://www.dock.net/ovgc/ For our monthly calender and directions to the range. Starts a 9:00 AM

Love to see some of you guys here.

Dave18 in Indiana: come to the shoot, you can shoot mine! If you leave right now you can probably just make it!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

Wheres da baby pics Randy?

Vendor Sponsor

Pat some on pg 8 and heres one

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-09-2012 at 08:33 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Banned

That's my favorite scope by the way Randy.

I have 4 of them.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    The Mag Well and Trigger Guard unit just takes the place of the regular mag well and trigger guard pieces.

Randy,

Thanks for all the information - if you've got another 77 short action around, how different is the bottom metal inlet in the stock?

It sure doesn't look much different in the pictures.

Thanks!

On Heaven's Range

I find myself in a very serious dilemma.

With increasing age and badly-diminished physical abilities due to strokes etc, I wonder if I can really justify any more "toys". On the other hand, I handled a Ruger Scout for the first time at the last local gunshow a couple months back, and....it talked to me.

My local dealer( who's been very supportive of the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot over the last decade), has a LEFT-HANDED Scout in his back room....with my name on it! This gent is a pusher of the highest degree, and knows a 'live one' when he sees it. Also, he's in no great hurry in this matter.

NVCurmudgeon and my brother, Nealb, have both handled this rifle and pronounced it a fine piece of gear.

Having just returned from a three-week hunting trip to northern Alberta, I have to confess that I think my hunting days are about done. The old drive just isn't there, and I actually opted-out of quite a few hunting days on this trip. Do I NEED (or even WANT) yet another neat hunting-caliber rifle? Good question. Maybe I'll leave it up to my wife, who's given me more wonderful firearms than most men own in a lifetime. Christmas is coming....

This is sort of a bittersweet situation, having to accept one's diminishing capabilities while still being able to look back over decades of hunting and shooting. I don't know just where this Scout issue is going to end up.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Banned

I think you autta get it Bruce. If nothing other but for some fun range time and at NCBS. Mount a good scope on her and don't look back. I don't think any of us really "need" another hunting rifle. But since when has that stopped us? ...

Boolit Master

Bruce,

"With increasing age and badly-diminished physical abilities due to strokes etc, I wonder if I can really justify any more "toys". On the other hand, I handled a Ruger Scout for the first time at the last local gunshow a couple months back, and....it talked to me."

I thought my Toy buying and shooting days were over also. Lots of safe queens being ignored. This rifle is like putting a new puppy with an old dog. The old dog perks up and has fun again.

Listen to me. Buy the gosh darn thing! You will not regret it.

762 Shooter

Vendor Sponsor

fireball: The feed rails are missing on the RGS 77 action. The magazine has the feed rails, so it is different in that regard.

You could easily make one out of a regular 77 action, it just wouldn't be mag fed unless you changed that feature.

BruceB buy it! you'll love it and have abunch of fun just shooting it out in the desert. Or at Front Sight over in Pahrump.

I probably will never kill a game animal with mine but I have been running a consistant 50 rounds a month thru it at my Silhoutte matches here in OJai. It is performing well above expectations and is a pleasure to shoot, in fact I shot it again yesterday!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-04-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

I shot my 5th Silhoutte Match here yesterday with my RGS 77 carbine. I managed to hit 11 targets and scared hell out of about 15 more.

The break down was 4 rams, 4 pigs, and 3 chickens. didn't get one turkey this time but my spotter was enjoying the very close misses. We shoot rams first and then move the line up to turkeys etc, This way all the targets are in one pile by one berm. Easy to set up and pick up when done.

The high shooter was 12 and he hit 6 chickens.

The wind was a blowin' and it was cold and everybody was bundeled up(which helped me immensely). But once again the experienced shooters were slobbering all over my gun, they just can't believe that a short barreled carbine can hit that well..

I got a chance to use my new polymer mags and I have to say they function much better than the metal ones do. They feed much smoother and will function correctly even when fully loaded.

Another good time was had courtesy of the Ruger Gunsite Carbine. I might add that my new standard load of 45.0 gr of IMR 4895 along with 147gr recycled bullets is perfoming very well. There is definately enough beans left at 550 yds to put a ram down with authority when hit square. I hit one dead center and it went down with a serious "whopt" which brought several comments from the peanut gallery.

I also called two hits while the bullets were still flying which is always brings oohs and ahhs..

BruceB: you'll like it alot! it's also a good investment as it will be easy to sell if you decide you don't need it any longer.

Randy

Randy, that's some good shooting out on a cold windy range.
    BruceB, I say go for it.
    Part of the reason I've been absent some on this board is I had a itch and figured I'd scratch it before I knew I couldn't enjoy it any more.

after 20+ years on 4 wheels - back on two wheels!

Vendor Sponsor

Art: So are you ready to do the 3100 mile trip from border to border? I believe they call it the Continental Divide Ride?

I am hoping to do it in my Jeep when done. The motorcycle ride is only on pavement about 40 miles for the whole trip the jeep route is a few miles longer. Dirt roads all the way.

I watched a PBS show about a group of people who spent an entire summer "walking it". Now that's dedication!

Good to see you're back ridin'

Randy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Randy, that's some good shooting out on a cold windy range.
    BruceB, I say go for it.
    Part of the reason I've been absent some on this board is I had a itch and figured I'd scratch it before I knew I couldn't enjoy it any more.

after 20+ years on 4 wheels - back on two wheels!

A ha! Another KLR-ista....we pop up every where. The cooler is classy by the way.

If you ever make it up this way check out the UPAT, lots of info over on ADVrider.

Some where between here and there.....

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Art: So are you ready to do the 3100 mile trip from border to border? I believe they call it the Continental Divide Ride?

Good to see you're back ridin'

Randy
    Thanks Randy, don't think I'm ready for that yet still mod'ng the bike, and doing day trips on slab and dirt to get my feel back.

Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    A ha! Another KLR-ista....we pop up every where. The cooler is classy by the way.

If you ever make it up this way check out the UPAT, lots of info over on ADVrider.
    I'll check it out if I get up that way.
    Thanks on the cooler - That's my $9 Top Box Farkle - Ammo can on side next!
    Nice pic's by the way

The point being you don't have to do all that you did before but don't give up on doing what you were doing entirely - enjoy what you can as age overtakes.

I have managed to take two deer with my Scout so far this season, both one shot kills though the neck at 40 and 60 yards. In the thick brush this rifle with it's short barrel and sighting system are a joy to use. You simply look at your target and bring the rifle to your shoulder and the cross hairs are where you are looking.

I also used the rifle in competition last October in a tactical rifle match (think IDPA with a long gun) and placed 4th out of 12 other shooters. I was the only one using a bolt gun all others were semi auto mostly AR 15 platforms. While the ARs may have the advantage at very close targets the Scout's accuracy and quickness to target are a plus on longer shots.

I will say, the concept of this rifle handling 95 percent of your rifle needs is probably true, at least in handling my needs in my part of the country it is a winner. Pigs in January are next with a trip south to a large plantation that is overrun with them. the Scout should shine in the swamps.
    Last edited by Curly James; 12-11-2011 at 11:24 AM.
    It is time for the taxpayers in this country to impose term limits at the ballot box. Vote all encumbents out every election, no matter which party. It is time they remember who they work for and who pays the bills.

Pics of the deer
    Last edited by Curly James; 06-18-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    It is time for the taxpayers in this country to impose term limits at the ballot box. Vote all encumbents out every election, no matter which party. It is time they remember who they work for and who pays the bills.