RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Experiences with the Handi-Rifle?

Boolit Bub

Experiences with the Handi-Rifle?

I’ve read reports of them opening when firing and generally poor quality. I’m not expecting miracles as they are not expensive but I value my face and don’t want a total ***. I want to try some 700gr boolits in it when I get my new mold from Mihec. Anyone get any game with one?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

I’m also looking at using this sight from nodakspud.

Boolit Buddy
    My son just got one for xmas. I did not think about it opening on firing, just thought i did not close it all the way??? But it has happened. I will pay more attention to it next time out. That sight looks nice. Do they make models that fit other guns? Where are they sold?

Boolit Buddy

NEF Handi Rifles

I have 4 handi-rifles and various barrel assemblies....
    These are great guns, and fun to shoot.
    Make sure the barrel locking lug is absolutely clean and oil free !!
    I suggest for additional information about your Handi Rifles that you visit the Grey Beard dot com site and READ the frequently asked questions......Do this before you post any questions, there is more info on this site about Handi's than you can shake a stick at !!
    Good luck and have fun !!......PJ

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=126.0
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Boolit Bub
    i dont have a big bore but my 223 hasnt opened on firing, may not have enough recoil, but any how i love mine and is fun to shoot, like to get a couple of more calib. for it. like pappa jack said gray beards the place to find out whats going on with it. imho,
    bigfoot

Banned

I have the CR 45 Colt version, quite a nice little gun. The factory rear sight is very cheaply made, and the insert was stamped off-center so it doesn't match the windage of the buckhorns, I'm very interested in that rear sight you posted there.

Like all my new guns, I took this one apart and cleaned it from top to bottom and lubricated it like I would an expensive O/U shotgun, film of EP moly grease on the hinge and locking points and a minimum of oil on all the other moving parts, so far have had no issues, but like any break action if the lugs are dirty or get powder granules on the contact points they can close without locking fully, so pay attention.

Gear

This the source of that sight?

http://www.nodakspud.com/

The one I have (.44 Mag) shoots crappy (8") groups at 100 yards with the gas checked Lee 310 over 18 grains 2400. Lighter boolits group better. Mine has never popped open upon firing. A good buddy of mine told me to slam them. He had one that opened upon firing and claims that slamming it shut fixed it. Dont know if that has anything to do with it or not, but I havent had any problems with it.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

There's plenty of Handi owners on this site as well. They do have lots of info over there, though.

Yes, some guns will open on firing. Many just need the latch clean of oil. Others have too little engagement of the locking lug.

Want to know beforehand if yours will pop open even if clean? Take a black marker and mark across the locking lug. Then open & close it several times to rub off the marker at the engagement contact points. Most of the folks I've gotten photos from have had an extremely thin contact surface (.060"-.070" or less) on guns that pop open. Slowly stoning down the lug can extend the engagement & it will stop opening. It's also very easy to go too far. AND, the barrel opening release lever on top next to the hammer (I forget what it's called - someone help me out) is the key. The more engagement there is, the higher that plunger will be when the barrel is closed, normally you can lift it slightly from where it sits with the action closed (it should rattle side to side slightly). If the lower pivoting latch block swings too far forward on the lug (due to stoning too much off the lug) the release lever will be all the way up - pushing it up won't raise it any further (with the action closed). Well, it won't be long and the barrel will be loose on the action. So go slow.

Inaccurate rifles are another common ailment. If you have one, shoot it with the forearm off the gun. If that helps, there's your problem. Could be the forearm is jammed (too tight) between the action and the hanger stud or wood contacting the barrel down the sides. If you have one that still won't shoot (like I did), look at that engagement pattern. Is it just contacting on one side of the lug? That's why it won't shoot. Spreading out the contact cut my groups by more than half (22 hornet - that is usually know for good accuracy).
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Grand Master

With a 700 gr bullet make sure you have the tools to tighten up the stock bolt with you!
    My Shikari 45-70 had a habit of loosening up this bolt with 500 gr bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Classic Carbine in 45 Colt. Maybe 200 rounds thru it. No opening on firing yet. But then I'm used to top break actions and I do snap them shut smartly. Not a fancy hi-finish gun but it shoots way better than I can hold anymore. Now if I can find a deer to have a heart atack while I am carrying it....

Tom who is happy with his Handi CC

Boolit Master

I got a .500S&W Handi just before Christmas and have had pretty decent results from it.
    My largest complaint was with the cheap plastic sights. I have a Williams FP on the way to solve that problem.
    You can read about my experiences with the gun here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=101859

I might spring for another Handi in 30-30 if I can find one reasonable. The last time I checked everyone was out of stock in the 30-30 caliber.

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    I have seven of them, zero pop open problems,most have great accuracy. the only one Ive had a problem with is a bufalo classic in 45 70. its had ignition problems since day one. I finaly got tired of trying to fix it myself, and shipped it back to the factory. evidently they have an improved transfer bar system. we will see when it comes back. the only thing cheap about them is the plastic trigger guard and rough machined finish. they are not polished before bluing. the 223 will shoot 3/4" groups at 100yds, the hornet slightly smaller. the 30 30 will do 1 1/4", and the 45 colt will shoot into 4" with my cowboy action loads. for their cost they have been good values. DR

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wsjones View Post
    This the source of that sight?

http://www.nodakspud.com/
    Yup. I noticed that sight when I was searching for a receiver for my M16A1 parts kit. Looks like a nice sight.

Thanks for the help guys.