Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: End of season wrap up

Boolit Buddy

End of season wrap up

Today was Md.'s last day of the deer season for firearms in my home state. Things have been kinda slow since opening day. Like everywhere, the deer herd up, and pretty much become nocturnal. Today, they were calling for a skiff of snow in the wee hours. I figured I'd give it a go, as hunting in the snow is absolutely gorgeous. Things seem to really settle down when it snows in the woods. It's something only a hunter can observe and appreciate. It's kinda like being in a life size snow globe of your own little world where you can solve the worlds problems, and your own, through judicious thought. Packing a good sixgun don't hurt things either !

Sunrise was scheduled for 7:27 this morning. Time to sleep in a little, and still have time to watch the world come alive. I was in the woods, and in my spot at 6:50. I was sitting at the base of a large oak tree. As the sun started making day, I could notice the snow ladden trees and shrubs. Beautifull ! While absorbing all this natural beauty, and counting my blessings of family and friends, I could make out the outline of a deer sneaking thru the brush. I knew it was a buck by the way he was slinking along the thick stuff, head low to the ground, as if playing a perpetual game of hide and seek. He was only 35 yards out.

By this time, I was pretty much covered in snow myself, creating a perfect camouflage. I bleated to stop the unsuspecting buck, and raised my already cocked Ruger Bisley Hunter with 7 1/2 " barrel, sporting iron sights. Once good sight alignment was obtained, I snugged them in tight in front of his shoulder, 1/3 the way up from his chest, as he was quartering towards me. Drilling that front sight thru his chest, I started my trigger squeeze. BOOM! I was startled at the shot ! This is a good thing. I heard my buck breaking brush and crash, after about a 2 second panic run.

My load was the time tested 454424 KEITH bullet in solid form, loaded over 20.0 grs. of 2400, ignited by a Win. LPP, housed in Starline nickleplated brass. I know cast bullets aren't supposed to kill, but no one told this buck, or all the other critters I have taken, that. I am a die hard cast bullet aficionado ! I just get immense pleasure from casting and killing with bullets made by my own hand ! It just adds another dimension to hand loading and hunting !

My shot was true ! A quick tracking job of about 30yds found my 3 pt. buck. Not the biggest by any means, but a great tasting trophy for a last day hunt. This Spring, while eating grilled sausage burgers, I'll relive this hunt, with a smug knowledge that I did it Elmers way !

This is what a Keith slug does to a heart. The EPA may be on to something. Lead poisoning is fatal !
    Last edited by cast-n-blast; 01-09-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Boolit Master

Great hunting story and well-told!
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

Well done Sir! Good writeup as well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent shot placement and well done.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    well done congrats
    I will be joining you (I hope)
    today is the last day for me as well though the season runs thru tom.
    I will be using my 44 but will have a j slinging 25-06 for the long shots
    Love your holster what kind is it where did you get it
    anyway very nice
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Next weekend will be may last chance for a deer this year. It has been a very strange season as the deer seem to have gone noctournal early on here as well. Excellent story and I relly like your hunting pistola and rig. I guess I have been lucky too as I have never had a boolit bounce off a deer either. Enjoy your sausage.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Nice buck and great hunt!

The deer seemed to be wearing invisibility suits in my neck of the woods this year!

Quote Originally Posted by cast-n-blast View Post
    It's something only a hunter can observe and appreciate. It's kinda like being in a life size snow globe of your own little world where you can solve the worlds problems, and your own, through judicious thought.
    And this is the part that is almost as important as the kill to most of us. I may not nessarily be in snow but being out there enjoying being out there is a tonic for the soul.
    You are doubly blessed with the enjoyment of the landscape and bagging a buck as well and to top it off with a hand cast boolit. Surely it dont get better than this.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    There , take that you corn muncher !!!! truth is most half ounce lead injections are fatal

Enjoy the venison and thank you for your service to your local farmer !

Jack

Cast Hunter

Very nice. I have the same pistol in .41 mag and just love it.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    Good job and good story. Hope you enjoy the venison!
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Very good write-up.

141 posts since Feb 2006? You obviously have alot more that you can contribute to the board with a gift of description like that - thanks for sharing.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Kudos. +1 on the nice write up.

Regards,
    Everett
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Banned

Great shot! Nice story.

I have always liked deer huntin' in the snow especially since snow is an excellent blood remover after you gut one. Great shot!!

" CAST IS A BLAST"