MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An interesting experiment in adding the gas check feature.

Boolit Master

An interesting experiment in adding the gas check feature. Shot 'em today!

About a year and a half ago I started shooting a Winchester 94 in lever action silhouette matches. Caliber was .38-55, which was a new one for me.

That meant of course that I didn't have squat to feed the rifle. Trying to avoid the added costs of gas checks, I purchased a Lyman 375248 mould, 250 grains plain base. It threw boolits out of wheel weight metal at .3795 and my bore was .3785, so we were good there. Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men.

Knowing that I wanted full or near full power loads to help me knock over those 200 yard rams I didn't even worry about light loads.

As soon as I passed 1600 feet, leading! Full length of the bore too, no messing about. No real surprise of course, but one can always hope. So, biting the boolit, I picked up a Lyman 375449 and gas checks to fit. Shot wonderfully and no leading.

With the passage of time, I thought maybe I would sell the #248, but then I got to looking at it, it and my Sherline milling machine. The 248 is a little lighter which meant a bit less lead used and a bit less recoil. What the hell. The worst I could do is ruin a mould.

The results are in the pic above. The boolit on the right was what that mould originally threw, the one on the left is what it makes now. The gas check is a push on fit. Success!

Some time soon here I'll load up some and shoot them. I'll keep y'all posted.

Cat
    Last edited by Catshooter; 12-16-2009 at 07:17 PM.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Man
    Catshooter
    That looks like a great idea. Keep us posted on how they cast and shoot.
    coyotebait

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    About a year and a half ago I started shooting a Winchester 94 in lever action silhouette matches. Caliber was .38-55, which was a new one for me.

That meant of course that I didn't have squat to feed the rifle. Trying to avoid the added costs of gas checks, I purchased a Lyman 375248 mould, 250 grains plain base. It threw boolits out of wheel weight metal at .3795 and my bore was .3785, so we were good there. Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men.

Knowing that I wanted full or near full power loads to help me knock over those 200 yard rams I didn't even worry about light loads.

As soon as I passed 1600 feet, leading! Full length of the bore too, no messing about. No real surprise of course, but one can always hope. So, biting the boolit, I picked up a Lyman 375449 and gas checks to fit. Shot wonderfully and no leading.

With the passage of time, I thought maybe I would sell the #248, but then I got to looking at it, it and my Sherline milling machine. The 248 is a little lighter which meant a bit less lead used and a bit less recoil. What the hell. The worst I could do is ruin a mould.

The results are in the pic above. The boolit on the right was what that mould originally threw, the one on the left is what it makes now. The gas check is a push on fit. Success!

Some time soon here I'll load up some and shoot them. I'll keep y'all posted.

Cat
    Cat,

Nice work. So you added a plate of metal to the top of the mould and then machined it to a gas check huh? I notice you have lots of lead on the face of the mould that needs to be cleaned off.

Joe

Boolit Master
    Well done Cat, and a great idea.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master

Fascinating idea . . .

No wonder I hang around on castboolits.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    An idea is worth a million scientists, engineers, technicians. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

I seem to notice that you faced off the top of the mold about the depth of the GC. In any case, great job! Hope they shoot as well as they look!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

Nice work, Catshooter! ..... curiosity may have killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back to life!

Gear

Boolit Master

Nice idea, nice execution, good job!

Learn something new here everyday...

Boolit Master

Thank you gentlemen.

Joe (StarMetal)

You're right, the block faces have lead on them need cleaned off. Next time I cast with it and the mould is hot I'll see about wiping it off.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Thank you gentlemen.

Joe (StarMetal)

You're right, the block faces have lead on them need cleaned off. Next time I cast with it and the mould is hot I'll see about wiping it off.

Cat
    Just teasing you Cat. Nice work on the mould and great idea. Hope it shoots without leading for you too.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

There's someone that is thinking (and doing)!

Great idea and great job. Now you have a convertible mould should you want plain base boolits too.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice work and excellent photography!
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

Nice piece of work.
    I might have added a couple of small pins to each plate to reduce the possibility that they could move after many heating/cooling cycles. I just never trusted flathead screws much.

Jack

Boolit Master

I hope Al Nelson of NOE see's this. Opens up a world of possibilities. Great idea!

Larry

The people on this board never cease to amaze me with the good ideas that they come up with.

That is a really great idea.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Super Moderator

...........As they say, "And that's the way you do THAT!" Sure looks like good clean workmanship.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Thumbs up

Wow ! Very good idea! The more simple and the better it is for sure ! Let's see how it shoots now

Brilliant!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned

Sweet!