Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: cast success w/225 lee

Boolit Master

cast success w/225 lee

My step son has been after me (it seems like for ever) for me to take him predator hunting again. Eventhough today was the last day of deer season i took him to one of my dads ranches to hunt this morning. We usually call for a couple minutes, maybe 20 or so, then go somewhere else. he is 8 and not a patient person. So we show up about 2 hours after daylight and stood in red hoodies and blue jeans near a brushpile and hit the kiy-yie over a couple very out of practice squalls. i usually carry a 12 ga. remington with #4 buck when in the brush, but today it was all about the AR with the lee fp over AA2230. After literally 3 minutes of broken calling (while i try to figure out what my son has done to my favorite call), he says.... "is that a baby coyote looking at me?" i look in his direction and barely notice a full mature bobcat looking at me at a distance of 30 feet!! So... swing and a hit! Blew fur and flesh off and the critter ran. He ran under the fence and into the neighbors. I called them for permission to chase, but they were not answering, so... RESPECT THE FENCE!! Eventhough we did not recover it, i am sure there was no undue suffering. A good day, all in all.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    Going by the fur market report in FFG a well spotted lynx cat well primed properly put up should bring a couple hundred dollars on the raw fur market. That is not a Canadian lynx but a spotted bob cat. A Canadian lynx has no spots.

Boolit Master

What COL are you loading that Bator boolit?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Going by the fur market report in FFG a well spotted lynx cat well primed properly put up should bring a couple hundred dollars on the raw fur market. That is not a Canadian lynx but a spotted bob cat. A Canadian lynx has no spots.

Realistically speaking FFG fur market reports tend to be extremely optimistic with reality rarely coming anywhere close. In south texas it is rare to get much more than fifty or sixty dollars for a excellent highly spotted bobcat even in good years with most years the prices being closer to 30-40$ a pelt, properly put up of course. About the only way to average more than that is in the taxidermy market. I trap a bit and there is a reason why there is only a small number of trappers in texas. Those few that do trap do it as a hobby or just to try and control the predators since their is no money in it in texas at least. If central or south texas bobcats could bring "a couple hundred" per pelt that wouldn't be the case an there would be a lot more trappers. Those kind of prices are more inline with the big, high quality, heavy furred, bobcats in nevada and wyoming. Trust me, our poor shabby texas furs might as well be light years away from your thick bushy alaskan furs. lol

Boolit Master
    When I lived and trapped in Mt. the FFG market report was pretty close on what I could expect to get for fur if the fur was properly handled and shipped to one of the large auction houses like the North American fur auction.
    In my adult life I have never lived farther south than MT. In a good year I have known good spotted belly cats to go for up to $400.00. Even in a not so good year I have gotten $200.00

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    In my adult life I have never lived farther south than MT. In a good year I have known good spotted belly cats to go for up to $400.00. Even in a not so good year I have gotten $200.00
    There are definitely some high quality cats up there I wouldn't doubt those prices at all for nice montana cats. Like I said though texas cats are not even close to being in the same league fur quality or price wise. We have some that have some absolutely stunning spotting, but even the best ones look pretty flat furred next to the northwestern type cats your talking about. Even nice pale western coyotes from the areas you talking about can bring 40$ or so, where as around here coyotes are rarely worth more than 15 dollars or so and that is if you can find a buyer at all. The huge difference in fur quality is why nicely spotted texas cats usually seem to do better in the taxidermy market than the fur market.

Boolit Master
    +1, Seth. We shoot coyotes for the bounty (5$ per pair of ears). While our Texas cats are BEAUTIFUL, I doubt they would bring much on the fur market. Taxidermists will pay a hundred or so for them whole. (unkinned carcass)
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    Moonie, I hate to say it, but I really dont know..... I just seated it to the bottom of the neck on the first case and set the die. Kinda ignorant, but it is working for me so far. 1" at 50 yards.

Boolit Master

x101airborn, hrm, ok, mine are certainly loaded deeper than that. I seem to remember having issues with them loaded to that length, boolits stuck in chamber when unfired case was extracted issues.

I do have some loaded much deeper than that I'm going to test in the morning, they are loaded using the top most gg as a crimp groove.