RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some kind of babbit, or what?

Boolit Master

Some kind of babbit, or what? (Low temp Bismuth??)

I have three big bricks of mystery lead that I've had for a couple years, assumed it was wheel weight lead or something. I decided today to melt it into ingots.

They weigh about 25 lbs each and won't fit into my 20 lb Lee pot, so I did what I usually do in this kind of case; I sat one on top of the pot and heated it with a propane torch so it would drip and melt into the pot.

I was surprised when it melted very fast, and the sides that were sitting on the top of the pot began to melt too, and drip down the side. It melts at a much lower temp than any lead I've ever had. When I pour it into ingots, it takes an incredibly long time to solidify. It also has a very crystalline surface.

It is pretty hard. I don't have a hardness tester, but I would bang a known ingot against the brick before melting to get an idea of hardness, and it seems about as hard as linotype. I weighed the ingots dropped from the Lee ingot mould. They normally weigh right at one pound with WW lead, and with this stuff they are about 14 ounces.

1. Melts at a low temp
    2. about 88% of the weight of WW lead
    3. hard like linotype

What is this stuff? Babbit or something else?
    Last edited by fatelk; 03-31-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Probably so, most of it is 23BHN, but content varies widely depending on whether it is tin or lead based.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

My thermometer isn't very good, but as far as I can tell it looks like this stuff melts below 300 degrees. It's hard to tell because my pot doesn't go down that low. I added cold metal and watched it melt while the temp dropped.

If this is good metal I'll need to figure out what it's worth and maybe sell it. I'm a bit tin rich and lead poor at this point.

Boolit Master
    If it melts below 300 degrees , you probably have some bismuth in it.
    It would make good trade fodder to the right buyer. Low temp alloys are kinda pricy
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Good observation about the bismuth. Prolly so because of the hardness and weight of the "babbit". Does not appear to be tin based unless the bismuth content is high to compensate for the weight. Would be interesting to add to WW at 10 percent and do a shooting contest between WW and the new WW mix. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

I was watching the thermometer (wish I had a more accurate one), and this stuff seems liquid down to 200F or less.(!?!?)

I'm guessing it's worthless for boolits, but I looked up "Low Melting Point Bismuth Based Alloys" on the Rotometals site, and it's really expensive stuff if that's what it is.

I have about 75 pounds of it. Does anyone know how to tell for certain what it is, or the best way to try to sell it?

Boolit Master

This is some weird stuff! I let it cool down until my thermometer read about 150F (again, not a real accurate thermometer). It was still liquid with crystals starting to form on top. Out of curiosity I dripped a little water on it, then a little more. The water just puddled on top of the liquid and solidifying metal, no boiling, bubbling or anything.

From looking around a bit it appears to be Cerro-bend or Cerro-safe. I'm guessing Cerro-bend as it doesn't come out of the ingot molds very easy, have to tap it a little bit.

Banned

they still use bismuth/tin alloys on some fire sprinkler heads. it was used exclusively on the older ones.
    they would melt and the insides would be pushed out by the water pressure.
    they could be had in ranges from 140* up to over 240*.
    it was also used for links in a chain on fire suppression hoods which when broken [melted]
    would allow the chain to pull back and set off the suppression system....

anyways i'd only use about 3-5%.
    bismuth is pretty brittle, tin is used to take the brittleness out.
    bismuth shot is 5% tin or it will shatter on target and from the set back in the case when fired.
    but it's heavy and adds hardness to a lead alloy about like antimony.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    This is some weird stuff! I let it cool down until my thermometer read about 150F (again, not a real accurate thermometer). It was still liquid with crystals starting to form on top. Out of curiosity I dripped a little water on it, then a little more. The water just puddled on top of the liquid and solidifying metal, no boiling, bubbling or anything.

If your thermometer is reading 150 and dripping water has no effect, you know that the alloy is not yet at 212 F.
    Remember, water does not boil until 212 F. It also pooled on top of the alloy due to the fact that water is less dense than the metal.

So what was the purpose of dripping water on it? Just wonderin'.

Boolit Master

So what was the purpose of dripping water on it? Just wonderin'.
    I don't entirely trust my old thermometer, and wanted to see if it was really still liquid below 212F.
    Remember, water does not boil until 212 F. It also pooled on top of the alloy due to the fact that water is less dense than the metal.
    I thought this went without saying. If I didn't know these very basic things I would have no business playing with molten metal.

I thought the crystalline surface that formed as it cooled looks neat.
    Last edited by fatelk; 03-31-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    No problem, fatelk. Like I said- just wonderin'.

If I'm concerned about a thermometer, I use a freeze test and calibrate it.

Any luck figuring it out? I think LWK had a good idea concerning the bismuth.

Boolit Master

I'm not familiar with a freeze test, but that gave me the idea to test it in boiling water. It seems to read a little low, so I think the metal was in the vicinity of 170F when it had crystals starting to form on top.

Yes, I'm pretty certain it's a bismuth alloy. Based on it's properties and what I've found looking around on the internet, I think it's something similar to this: http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/...nt158alloy.htm

Not cheap stuff. Now I just need to figure out how to tell for sure and how to sell it. If it won't make boolits it won't do me much good. If I can sell it for even a good fraction of what cerro-bend sells for I will be very happy.

Boolit Master
    Fatelk, you should build your self a mold to make spoons out of that stuff. When you have company , give them a spoon that will melt off in the hot coffee. Tell then its strong coffee to get the fun started.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!

L W Knight

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    Fatelk, you should build your self a mold to make spoons out of that stuff. When you have company , give them a spoon that will melt off in the hot coffee. Tell then its strong coffee to get the fun started.
    Now that's a good one!

"Pitch a horseshoe in there and see if stands up."
    "I don't have a horseshoe, but I have a spoon."

Boolit Master

That is pretty good. For kicks I think I'll take a small piece of it and see if it melts in a cup of hot water.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey fatelk, I just checked your link to the Rotometals site.

If it is something close to Woods metal, remember that it could also contain cadmium in it.
    I'm sure you may have already taken this under consideration; just don't want you gettin' hurt if you didn't.

If you don't conclude anything with your search, maybe Rotometals or some similar supplier could help you out. They may offer to do a free analysis for you if it's something they sell or deal with and you give them dibs on it. Not sure, but worth checking out.

At any rate, that is a bunch of "specialty" alloy!

That might be some potting compound like machinists use to set odd shaped parts in so that they can be held in a mill vice.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master

Remember you can send a sample to Rotometals for analysis. Then you would know what you have.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Potting compound
    Haven't heard of that in a loooong time.

I have half a pail of Wood's metal foundry ingots. They do easily melt in boiling water. Looks weird to see molten metal in a pot with water on top…

I was thinking of making a cast metal plate to go at my gate with the house number on it. Maybe make a plaster of Paris mould and use up some of that cadmium-rich alloy. Otherwise, I'll just use it like Cerro-bend.

I just picked up 2 ingots of Cerrocast alloy. Don't know what I'll use 'em for, but that kind of stuff is pretty pricey if you look at McMaster-Carr, etc.

Richard

Richard
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Remember you can send a sample to Rotometals for analysis. Then you would know what you have.
    Yeah , for $69.00 a pop. It would be cheaper to just resell the metal to a recycler unless you had a couple hundred or more pounds of it.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!

L W Knight