Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: 867, 872, cast, who is right?

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.

867, 872, cast, who is right?

I posted on the cannister powder page that I have 2 8 pound jugs of these coming in (well, arrived).

Would like to start with them in a 30-06.

On castpics.net, Buckshot gives charges for the 872 (65gr) with no mention of duplexing and a 220 gr bullet yeilding 2200+fps.

I don't want 2200 fps. 1800 would be more to my tastes.

OTOH, another member here recommended a case full over a few grains of 4198 as hitting around 1800 fps.

Accepting minor lot variations, they can't both be right.

Let's say I'm loading up with a 200 gr Lee or Lyman 311299. Where to you all guess I should start for a target of 1800 or so? I can also use filler as needed.

Boolit Master

Different lots have different burn speeds!!!
    Buckshots 65gr load yelded 2200 yours may or may not or it could go faster.
    Your going to need a chrono to fine out.

Lower his load by a minimum 10% and use a darcon filler to take up the unfilled space.

I'm sure someone esle will chine in for mor info than I can furnish as I don't have any 872 or 867.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Buddy

Jonk,

I've used WC 860 and two different lots of WC 872. I've never used any WC 867. What I encountered in a 30-06 was that with a case full with a 220 grain bullet I would generally get 2200+ fps without a "kicker" with these powders. The loads would leave a grain or two of unburned powder. When I tried to reduce the loads a bit I would get quite a bit of unburned powder.

I would not mind getting the 220 grain 30-06 loads down to about 2000 fps as the 2200+ load would shoot great for the first 10 rounds or so but I think it was just a bit much for the alloy/lube I'm using as after those ten rounds I would get some fine leading near the muzzle and accuracy would go down hill if I did not clean the barrel.

I used the WC 860 and the two lots of WC 872 as my go to load for my Krag rifle with a 220 grain 311284 bullet. The first lot of WC 872 filled to the bottom of the neck shot right a 1950 fps. The second lot of WC 872 was a bit slower and I had to fill the case basically to the mouth of the case and tamp or vibrate the powder down to load my bullet. I've found that the WC 860 I have, in the Krag, basically equals the first lot of WC 872 that I used.

I did use some of the slower lot of WC872 in my 45-70 with a 540 grain bullet with a kicker of IMR 4198 with very good results.

I can not remember if I ever used any filler with any of the above lots of powder or not. I'll have to check my load notes.

I did recently use some of the WC 860 in a Mosin Nagant 7.62X54R with the Lee 185 gr .311 bullet (beagled to .3145) with success, it did not leave excessive amounts of unburned powder. As I recall I used the same charge as used in my Krag. So there was lots of room in the case. I have not checked that load on the chronograph but I would estimate the velocity at 1800 to 2000 fps.

Checked my load notes and could not find that I ever used any filler. I'll add that to the list of things to do.

Have Fun,

JCherry
    Last edited by JCherry; 12-17-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Checked notes