MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: When is it too cold outside to smelt?

Boolit Master

When is it too cold outside to smelt?

With the deep freeze we are in here in Ohio got me to thinking- what is the coldest outside temp we can still do the smelting? I would imagine that would depend on if we have a heat source that can melt the WW despite the surrounding air temp? And how much cold I can stand! I know I will have some time off in the coming weeks around Christmas and would like to get more smelting done.

Thanks,
    Joe

Boolit Master
    Make a good wind break around the pot and burner.
    Use a lid on the pot.
    It cannot get too cold where life exists.

I take that back. If your setup can just barely melt on a warn day , you might not melt on a cold day. Not a likely situation. Moving air is your worst enemy.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Buddy
    LWK gave the best advice about windbreak- it's essential, or you're going to use a bunch of fuel. Do everything you can to let the heat follow its natural course (upwards).

Preheating of molds and utensils is also necessary not only for convenience but also safety.
    Convenience meaning that cold stirrers and ladles are a real pain to use when the lead freezes on contact.
    Safety meaning that sometimes moisture is not always readily visible, and we all know how well moisture and molten lead mix- they don't.
    If your tools are hot enough not to freeze the lead, they're hot enough to be safe.
    I like to place ingot molds and skimming/pouring implements on top of the pot to preheat as the lead melts.

I've broken down batches in 10 degree weather- usually doesn't get much colder than that where I live.

Boolit Master
    Don't smelt wheel weights with the lid tight on the pot or you'll end up with a nice fireball when you lift the lid. Ask me how I know.

Leave it askew just a bit to let the gases escape and you'll be ok.

Boolit Buddy

Victor and I for the first time have decided to refine our range scrap through the winter. We have a pretty industrial set up with 3 100,000 BTU natural gas burners. In the warmer months, this has 500# of scrap molten in no time.

However, in the winter, it takes a lot longer. We started adding diesel to the mix last year and that does help a lot. However, in the cold, once it burns off, you are still back to square one.

Victor came up with an idea that has helped quite a bit. Instead of filling the box all the way up, we leave an area in the center which we actually build a small fire in. It sounded crazy at first, but the reality is that it gets heated from both sides and the ash from the wood fire makes a great flux. It has cut our processing time by a third. We might do it in the warmer months too.

A picture from last night's festivities is attached. Ok, the idea that it was a small fire might be debated by some.

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diablobynight.jpg  
    Zbench

Boolit Master
    The temperature comes up really fast when you add burning fuel on top of the melt.
    If I get impatient when smelting I sometimes toss in a golfball sized chunk of wax. It gets the barely liquid hot enough for ingots like right now.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

When is it to cold? when the lead pot is still ice cold after four hours under a huge flame.
    When the mold is frozen shut and no amount of heat will warm it up enough to open.
    When you pile of lead all comes up as a single pile no matter how hard you hammer on it.
    When the mold freezes to the melting pot and won't move.
    When the fingers are stuck to the mold which is stuck to the pot on top of the fire that is starting to burn your mittens.
    yep you can get to cold to cast bullets. ha ha
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Good advice everyone thanks. Looks like I have a bunch of range scrap to melt down!

Joe

Boolit Master
    Colder is better for me. I don't have as much fun casting or smelting in the summer because it's too danged hot to begin with and I sweat like a pig. Winter is a different story. Everything seems to work a lot better for me. I've had the best results in my unheated basement with the bulkhead open (zero wind!), temperatures anywhere from 15F to 50F.
    As far as being too cold, I dunno. If they can do this in Alaska.....
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Bub
    Don't know never tried after -20 ,know it works then, just not a lot of fun.
    Alex

Boolit Master

I like your signature JSnover. How about a 28 oz.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Grand Master

Being too cold has nothing to do with the portability of the lead. It's too cold when I can't stand my gloved hands out of my pocket to catch my running nose.
    Seriously a good wind shield from below the burner to the top edge of the pot will get the lead melted. I used a metal 5 gal bucket cut in half, so it attached to the bottom of the burner (turkey fryer) and the top reaches up through the pot support. The top half was cut to nest outside the protruding pieces from below and come almost to the top of the pot. That left about 1/4" to 3/8" opening around the pot. a few holes below to provide air for the burner only, allows enough air flow for the flame and doesn't waste gas.
    It's been in the teens every morning but one for a couple weeks. These old bones have gotten used to comfort, (I'm retired) and argue with pain, if I don't accommodate them. I have plenty of lead in ingots and can cast in front of the fireplace in the garage.
    I'll wait on warmer weather to smelt the buckets of lead that are waiting.
    Burrrrrrr its cold.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Smile

I do not smelt in the winter.
    I wait till about mothers day.
    We all have cabin feaver buy then.
    And if you need a jacket to smelt
    all the better protection.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

I smelted about 60 lbs this afternoon (my first time melting lead! It was fun!!!) . Mid-30's outside, so I stood nice and close to the warm stove!!
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Master
    No such thing as too cold. I did some smelting on my exposed porch this weekend (upstate NY) with temps in the high 20's. Too windy - now that's another story.

Don

Boolit Grand Master

Personally, I like to do my smelting in spring or fall at 50 to 60 degrees ambient. Winter is for casting and summer is for shooting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Don't smelt wheel weights with the lid tight on the pot or you'll end up with a nice fireball when you lift the lid. Ask me how I know.
    Leave it askew just a bit to let the gases escape and you'll be ok.
    Thanks Jailer, I made a pot and lid out of a propane tank.
    Was gonna plug the hole where the valve used to be, to control the Tinsel Fairy.
    Maybe I'll make a vent cap there instead.

Mold maker: metal bucket, great idea.
    I have a 5 gal. alcohol can not in use, will probably become a wind screen.

Boolit Master
    I cast and smelt in the fall. I reload in the early winter. I do the majority of my shooting in the spring/summer. I start getting really jittery around February.