WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Weight of Pb Launched

Boolit Master

Weight of Pb Launched

So I reached my 7000th reload since I started casting last May (as indicated by empty primer boxes). Most of those were cast for .45, all of which were 200-grainers. A little math says I've fired around 200 lbs of good ole Pb downrange.

So, the question is: How much lead have you cast and fired?

This might be interesting! I wonder if the master casters have a total.

Boolit Master
    Simple rule of thumb : If you know how many rounds you have fired , you have not fired enough. Reloaded etc. the same goes.
    I don't even know how to guess how much lead I've used. Maybe a few hundred pounds?
    Last edited by lwknight; 12-15-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling typo
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

Been casting and shooting lead in handguns since about 1969. I am absolutely positive well over a ton but how much over I'm not sure. Somewhere between 1 and 2 tons.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Never really kept track of it, but I suppose I could do the math if so inclined.

100+ rounds of 45-70 per week ( minimum weight 330gr, some as high as 540gr)

25-50 rounds 30-06 per week (average 180gr each) Don't shoot this as much anymore because I like spending more time with the 45-70s.

200+ rounds 45 Auto per week (200-230gr each) Don't shoot the handguns as much anymore due to deteriorating eyesight and increasing arthritis in hands, but I still try to "stay in shape".

<50 rounds 45 Colt per month (@250gr each) Same reasons as 45 Auto.

On occasion, I'll shoot the 458 Winchester, but I don't really count it in lead use simply because it is seldom shot anymore- maybe twice a year now. Plus a few other chamberings that fall into the same category. I also cast for my son when he is too busy, but that's on his inventory, not mine.

This has been going on for over 15 years; I figure on average I'll follow the above usage schedule maybe 40 weeks out of the year (depends on lots of factors).
    As with most of us, I shot considerably more when younger.

All told, I usually inventory for at least 500 lbs per year, and feel safer with 700+ for the year. But then again, I'm getting older, so I tend not to shoot as much per trip. Also, other component costs and availability keep the shooting in check, too.

Boolit Buddy
    1/8 #