Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Bottoming files - finally found a source

Boolit Buddy

Bottoming files - finally found a source

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...?FullText=File

I’ve got one that I’ve had for thirty years and have wanted others with different profile head. I don’t know about the quality of these, but am inclined to order a round and pointed one and find out. I sure use the rectangular one I’ve got a lot, if these are any good they will be much appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a set of the gunlines, but I make mine out of new files. Coarser teeth and I can shape the file the way I want it on the belt grinder.

These are handy also. Yup, shop made.

Hmm. Treasures, a full set.

Boolit Master

I am not a machinist or smith, so a stupid question if you will. What is the intended use of these files?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I am not a machinist or smith, so a stupid question if you will. What is the intended use of these files?
    I don't know either but I'll take a stab at it: Probably for filing in the bottom of a groove or channel.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I haven't looked at Brownell's in some time but they use to carry all kinds of tools for stock making including the bottom inletting files. james

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I personally prefer scrapers over the bottoming files. On figured wood, the files can grab. For round barrel channels, a section of round barrel cut off square makes a great inletting tool. You can make them long enough to grip with both hands, and have very good control. Having two different diameter ends from a single tapered barrel is handy. Old military take off barrels are good cheap source.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Deepening the inletting under the receiver is what I use them for mostly. I also use scrapers.

Boolit Master
    I don't know either. Back scratcher maybe?