RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Tell me about Nebraska

Boolit Grand Master

Tell me about Nebraska

Way things are going with the gun laws here in CO, I might just have to move. Hate to after being here 30+ years and getting a bit too grey for a move, but don't know if I can live with whats coming down the pipeline.
    Kid is in Denver so maybe North Platte or Kearney would be as far East as the wife would tolerate.

Thoughts?

Boolit Master

i feel the same. thinking of kansas myself, wyoming is to cold and windy, kansas seems to get better rainfall but tornado threats bother me
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Lived in Omaha for 3 years. In that time there were 3 days that the wind was not blowing at least 23 hours and 49 1/2 minutes each day. Said something at work about it and was told it was "Because Colorado blows and Iowa sucks."
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Grand Island is just a little further East of Kearney and there is a very nice shooting range there. Was city operated now Hornady is running it or will be soon. Depending where you live in Colorado you will miss the mountains. Living in towns alone I80 the terrain is very flat. May want to take a trip alone HWY 34 near McCook NE. That would still be pretty close to Denver. I live in Omaha but lived in Grand Island for 5 yrs I could make it to Silverthorne in 7.0 hrs when the speed limit was 10 mph slower than it is today.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    If you run up US 83, headed north up the flat prairie, do not get startled when you suddenly, and very unexpectedly, drop off into a hole that you had no idea was there! Welcome to Valentine, Nebraska! Go through the stop light, climb up the north face, drive one mile and look in the rear-view mirror and all you can see is the prairie to the south. No indication there's a great BIG hole there, with a town in it!

Oh! Be advised: you can get your daily limit of pheasant just with your radio antenna!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Thus far Nebraska is a gun friendly state. The constitutional carry has passed. I’m just north and west of Grand Island. If you’re into muzzle loaders the GI club owns 80 acres along the Loup River with range to use for members and to camp too. Kearney, GI and Hastings have very nice gunshows. Would recommend Kearney as a place to live over GI. With GI’s packing plant the population is a bit more diverse than some would like. Kearney is a college town. Weather, yup it’s hot , cold and every thing in between. Sometimes the same day. Always lived in Nebraska so don’t know any better. Colorado is pretty but looks to becoming an undesirable state like Commiefornia. Too many folks leaving those bad states and turning Colorado into the same dung heap they left.

The tornado thing is inherit of the eastern side of the Rockies. Warm moist air at a lower elevation come up from the gulf and meets up against the mountains with cooler air flows across the top of the mountains and collide with the gulf stream and produce funnel clouds and actually tornadoes. The further north you go the better off you'll be if your afraid of tornadoes. I've witnessed an actual tornado form in eastern Colorado on the Kansas border descend, damage a city, then ascend and never be caught on any radar. No one saw it coming!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Take a look at southwest Nebraska.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Most of eastern side of Ne has been taken over by Mexican/Arab peoples. Expect the rest to go also, just like the smaller Ks towns.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    i feel the same. thinking of kansas myself, wyoming is to cold and windy, kansas seems to get better rainfall but tornado threats bother me
    If you choose Kansas and you don’t like wind go east of I35. It’s not as flat and you don’t have as much wind. There are lots of private ranges/clubs. Don’t pick Wichita or Lawrence, they need to fence in those idiots.

If you want to stay close to Denver, take a look at the Scottsbluff/Gehring area. Eastern Wyoming has some good areas too.

Boolit Master
    In all my wanderings, I remember the Platte river fondly.
    You drop down out of the wind into a lush green valley lined with cottonwoods.

Boolit Buddy

I've had the same thoughts, since I grew up in South Dakota and worked all over SD, WY, NE as a young man. Stuck here in CO since that's where the grandkids are, as the liberal locusts destroy the state.
    I think it's time to try to rally and take back our state. If we run, they'll just follow.

Lived in Colorado all my life and then had to move to Idaho to keep in the career as CO is at war with heavy industry. Laws in ID are pretty good. i know you don't like the cold but Lander and Thermopolis are super cool, and Sheridan should be very similar to where you are now climate wise. You'll miss the mountains and love the pheasant hunting in NE. I hunt pheasant in Garden City KS and it's nice.