Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Couple new BP guns

Couple new BP guns

Ups just dropped off a pair of old guns I bought from a seller back East. Both turned out to be much nicer than his pictures, and both have excellent bores.
    One a Marlin Firearms marked .40-63 with lightweight barrel, very nice wood, great bluing, and just traces of case colors on the receiver and thimbles. Only addition is a Marbles tang sight added at sometime in it's life.

And this one.

Not a shotgun guy, but this one interested me as it has "C. GOVE" engraved on each lock plate! Also has his full name engraved on the top rib of this 14ga. muzzleloader shotgun. "CARLOS GOVE DENVER, COL." Gove was the largest gun dealer West of the Mississippi from before the Civil War to the late 1800's when he died.
    A very well cared for Damascus barreled shotgun, with all the various metal parts border engraved, and some nice wood. Very classic lightweight stocks and maybe weighs 7 lbs. Made in England, and Birmingham proofed.

Vendor Sponsor

In that caliber, I assume that Ballard is a number 5. At first I was hoping it was a Far West.

Very nice rifle. I hope it shoots well!
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    In that caliber, I assume that Ballard is a number 5. At first I was hoping it was a Far West.

Very nice rifle. I hope it shoots well!
    A 1 3/4 Far West would never have the thimbles and wiping rod. Only the 4 1/4 single trigger style Pacific, #5 Pacific, and #5 1/2 Montana had the wiping rod in thimbles.
    With the bore it has it should be a great shooter. I'll probably remove the tang sight and switch to a spare mid-range vernier I have. Once I slug the bore I'll see if it's the same as one of my other .40-63 Ballards I have, so wont need to make up ammo for it!

Vendor Sponsor

Correct.
    That is, when I saw the wiping rod, it is a No.5

Nice rifle.

Next person's turn.
    Chill Wills

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wonderful acquisition!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Two dandies! Love the Ballad and really appreciate the history of the double. Congratulations

Boolit Master

Nice guns!!!!

Boolit Master

Nice old muzzleloading 14 ga shotgun. I have collected and hunted with front stuffers for many years. Don't waste your time trying to punch out wads. Track of the Wolf has the overpowder, fillers, and overshot wads in stock. I have a 22 ga double flint that is almost as fast as a percussion gun. Also a 13 ga Greener and a 14 ga double. The track has em!! I always use one or two gauge larger overshot .025 wads to hold the shot in tight. You can "steam" the wood on that muzzleloader with an old towel soaked with water and Dawn dish detergent and an old iron. The dents will raise and the oil and wax in the wood will lift. It will clean the wood. Use #4 steel wool to clean the surface. Wait till throughly dry and rub in a coat or two of Burchwood Casey Tru Oil. Your stock will look great! I tried to up load a couple of photos.

I looked at TOTW yesterday when the guns arrived, but they don't list anything for 14ga., so have to find under wads, and over cards elsewhere.
    I don't plan on going too far on upgrading the shotgun's stocks or metal. Just give it a good cleaning, and wipe it down with a product I use for my old guns. One nipple is completely plugged, so need to try to get a hole through it, or it will be a single shot.

For some reason my eyes told me the Pacific barrel was shorter than normal, but when I measured it the barrel is actually longer than normal at 32" long.